Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

13 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Johny Nelson acting like Prograis was robbed. The only debate I can see is the margin of victory. Prograis didn’t win enough rounds.

Don't think he was at all, just saying it was close and he had prograis winning by 2.

I had it the same, but can understand alot of the scores. So many rounds were just so close.

Only ridiculous score I've seem came from the actual ringside judge

Good to see the boy justifying the hype, hopefully he ends up a tier 1 world champion rather than the usual tier 3 or 4 that the UK produces.

Edited by ayrmad

What a fight that was. Absolutely top level stuff and credit to both guys. Thought Taylor had just shaded it but christ there was a point in that last round where I thought Prog was going to put him down as Taylor's vision must have been so restricted.

As others have said often find Taylor's out of ring stuff isnt great but what a boxer this boy is he is absolutely outstanding and it's exciting to see where he goes from here. Hopefully gets his hands on all the belts. If he is undisputed surely that would put him on the cusp of top ten pfp rankings?

Right now though he deserves a good 6 months break to recover from some high level fights

I didn’t see much wrong with Taylor’s build up. He called Prograis a s show pony and a w****r for wearing his sunglasses inside and took the piss out his platform shoes. They were going in to batter each other and from early in the fight they were clearly showing respect for each other at the end of each round. 

It’s not an act to sell tickets from Taylor. He just has a savage streak. 

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I didn’t see much wrong with Taylor’s build up. He called Prograis a s show pony and a w****r for wearing his sunglasses inside and took the piss out his platform shoes. They were going in to batter each other and from early in the fight they were clearly showing respect for each other at the end of each round. 

It’s not an act to sell tickets from Taylor. He just has a savage streak. 

Apart from when they kept belting each other after the bell.

Amazing fight. Thought Prograis started stronger then josh came back in to it and took over. Credit to both but fucking hell what a talent we have on our hands.
Shame Burns lost, close fight but probably right decision. Where does he go from here? And hopefully big Pricey can retire. Don’t want to see him carry on and get hurt.

26 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Apart from when they kept belting each other after the bell.

He always fights to the end of the g on “ding”. Relikh wobbled Prograis just after the bell in the last fight so so I’m sure Shane McGuigan would have been telling Josh to test him.

What other British boxer in modern times has fought to he level that Taylor has his first 16 fights? Taylor has fought

7th fight he fought an experienced domestic guy and won title
10th fight he fought an undefeated prospect
11th fight he fought a former four year world champion, was first to stop him
13th fight he beat Postol, who had only lost previous to Terence Crawford and was ranked in the top 5 light Walters in the world. Clear decision win.
14th fight beat a decent prospect in the super series, absolutely dominated him.
15th fight beat an undefeated world champion
16th fight again beat an undefeated world champion, clearly a top drawer opponent.

I can’t think of anyone who has had that level of opposition in modern British boxing history.

What other British boxer in modern times has fought to he level that Taylor has his first 16 fights? Taylor has fought

7th fight he fought an experienced domestic guy and won title
10th fight he fought an undefeated prospect
11th fight he fought a former four year world champion, was first to stop him
13th fight he beat Postol, who had only lost previous to Terence Crawford and was ranked in the top 5 light Walters in the world. Clear decision win.
14th fight beat a decent prospect in the super series, absolutely dominated him.
15th fight beat an undefeated world champion
16th fight again beat an undefeated world champion, clearly a top drawer opponent.

I can’t think of anyone who has had that level of opposition in modern British boxing history.
Amazing how under the radar he is in terms of mainstream sports coverage when you look at his opposition and how he has gone about beating them. He is a boxing promoters dream you would think.

Paul Weir won a few world titles in his first 5 or 10 fights, can't remember the standard of opponents.

I don’t think minimum/straw weight or light fly had the depth then that light welter does now and i don’t think the guys Weir fought compare to who Taylor has fought. The best guy Weir ever fought was Baby Jake, who beat him twice.

Not to take anything away from Paul Weir, of course, who had a great career. I just think Taylor’s career has been oustanding.

His record is outstanding and I think his last four opponents alone equalled a record of 94-1 or something along those lines.

I'd like to see the Ramirez fight in the summer. Maybe Ritson in March or something along those lines. It will make big money and would be a straight forward defence for Josh to keep him ticking over before the big one for all the belts.

It’s never going to happen, but the dream scenario for me would be him beating Ramirez to become undisputed, Lomachenko beats Commey, and then they have a super fight at Edinburgh Castle. Will never happen in a million years, but just imagine how incredible it would be.

Not seen the fight yet, but looking forward to watching it, sounds tremendous.

Taylor's punches just looked and sounded bigger. That difference in power allowed him to lean in and trade favourably most of the time. 

Prograis was really slick but the size and strength of Taylor showed. Great fight and surely moves Taylor into top 10 P4P.