Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

He has no chance of doing that.  Got to hand it Hearns from a business perspective. He gets his fighters into some unbelievable positions that belies their ability.  This resurrection of Burns' career has been a marketing man's dream come true, almost as impressive as getting Gavin Rees a world title shot at Broner over 3 years ago.

Broner is pish. A celebrity boxer. I wouldn't rule Ricky out. I also wouldn't take it as a given that he'll beat this Lithuanian. He's obviously beat nobody but you can't knock his KO record and the way Ricky covers up on the ropes and invites pressure means it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could get KOd. Bredis Prescott had a similar record of KOs against nobodies before he came over first.

I don't mind Broner anymore tbh he's calmed down since Haymon told him to reign it in a bit. He's got a chance to be decent at 140 which isn't a great division just now but he's not getting away with issues like flat footedness that he did at lower weights when he had more power. 

Ricky peaked the night he fought Martinez and won the title at the kelvin hall. Never appeared as hungry again after that. Katsidis and Mitchell were good wins but he had some shockers in there as well as some respectable loses like Figueroa.

Say what you want about Burns but you can't question how "hungry" he has been throughout his career. He fought 10 rounds against Beltran with a broken jaw and got off the canvas to go the distance against Zlaticanin.

His losses/that draw don't look as bad in hindsight - we all know how good Crawford is, Zlaticanin is a beast who just happened to be unknown at the time, and Beltran has since been busted for PEDs.

13 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

If Burns beats Broner I'm on the pitch, no doubt about it.

There is genuinely nothing in the whole of sport that I want more than Ricky Burns bodying Adrian Broner. It'd be the pinnacle of my sport viewing life, and there aren't enough Randy Marsh photos on the internet to describe how happy I'd be. The fucking dream.

11 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Broner can't fight on the back foot so if you can back him up then your nearly there. Be a decent scrap- none of the two of them will be hall of famers or remembered 5 years after they retire but be interesting to watch.

Ricky Burns won't be remembered 5 years after he retires? 

What utter garbage.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

Ricky Burns won't be remembered 5 years after he retires? 

What utter garbage.

Nah, he's right. There's no chance at all that people will remember the only Scottish boxer ever to win world titles in three different weight divisions, and certainly not a massive five years after he's retired. Absolutely no chance of it.

Nah, he's right. There's no chance at all that people will remember the only Scottish boxer ever to win world titles in three different weight divisions, and certainly not a massive five years after he's retired. Absolutely no chance of it.

I was talking about the hall of fame and clearly meant the wider boxing world. Our history of producing fighters is pretty piss poor therefore he will be remembered here forever. However Scotland is a tiny, pretty insignificant part of the boxing world.
Few outside Scotland/Uk are going to remember him, he will have no lasting legacy.
That isn't slagging burns- I like the guy. Just stating a fact.

Say what you want about Burns but you can't question how "hungry" he has been throughout his career. He fought 10 rounds against Beltran with a broken jaw and got off the canvas to go the distance against Zlaticanin.

His losses/that draw don't look as bad in hindsight - we all know how good Crawford is, Zlaticanin is a beast who just happened to be unknown at the time, and Beltran has since been busted for PEDs.

He's got bravery and bottle in abundance- id never question that but I don't think his drive and motivation to be the best he could be was ever the same as that night. He peaked that night and never hit that level again.