Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

17 minutes ago, Cowshed Chris said:

I believe it's on TV in America (ESPN?) but only YouTube here. McGregor by 9 or 10 round stoppage

I’ve just seen the bookies odds for this fight which have Guerfi a 5/1 underdog. I’ve stuck £20 on him even though I would like to see McGregor win, but I think Guerfi comes into this fight with a lot more experience. Understand that ultimately it could mean nothing, but he seems to be supremely confident going by his Instagram posts etc., thought 5/1 was quite a big price for him. 

What makes you think McGregor stops him late?

15 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’ve just seen the bookies odds for this fight which have Guerfi a 5/1 underdog. I’ve stuck £20 on him even though I would like to see McGregor win, but I think Guerfi comes into this fight with a lot more experience. Understand that ultimately it could mean nothing, but he seems to be supremely confident going by his Instagram posts etc., thought 5/1 was quite a big price for him. 

What makes you think McGregor stops him late?

Boy is my face red. 

McGregor Farooq rematch in the Summer is the obvious fight to make. Both fighters have a higher profile now than they did at the time of the first fight, so there will certainly be enough interest domestically. If fans are allowed back in the arenas I could see it doing similar ticket sales to what Josh Taylor had at the Hydro. 

Don’t know what route Hearn is looking to take Farooq down but I’m sure he’s said in the past that they are open to the McGregor rematch. Most people thought Farooq had done enough to win that first fight (hence Matchroom signing Farooq right after it) but I thought it was very close, think I scored it one round to Farooq but didn’t think it was the robbery some people made out at the time. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Hadn’t see a performance like that from (Lee) McGregor coming. Hadn’t really seen enough of what Ben Davison can do but that all looked so well drilled and calculated.

Bodes well for Taylor v Ramirez. Could be some fight. 

Okolie seems like a nice boy who loves his mum and works very hard. Hope he doesn’t meet the same fate as Whyte and Dubois where the raw power and aggression gets undone by a more schooled and experienced fighter. 

Splintered arse here. Hope he comes through it as would be good to see him on the heavyweight scene in a couple of years as it’s sounds like that’s his natural weight.

3 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I dont really rate Ramirez at all, think Taylor makes easy work of him.

Can’t say I’ve watched loads of his fights but in his recent ones he reminds me quite a bit of Taylor in terms of style and stature/build. Hope Taylor wins as it opens up potential mega fights at Edinburgh Castle or Easter Road. 

Okolie seems like a nice boy who loves his mum and works very hard. Hope he doesn’t meet the same fate as Whyte and Dubois where the raw power and aggression gets undone by a more schooled and experienced fighter. 

Splintered arse here. Hope he comes through it as would be good to see him on the heavyweight scene in a couple of years as it’s sounds like that’s his natural weight.

Okolie seems like a really nice guy who’s done amazingly to get where he is but by f**k whenever I’ve seen his fights they’ve been dreadful. Hope he wins tonight but would be more pleased if it’s entertaining.
Was really impressed with McGregor last night. More so because he didn’t just rush in and swing like f**k. Let off some tremendous combos but kept disciplined, made sure he wasn’t countered with anything too nasty and got it done. Lee Eaton poured cold water on the Farooq fight being next for me but it’ll come and it should be brilliant.

Beterbiev in to the 8th round on boxnation just now. Fair play to Deines who he’s fighting, he’s game and has come to try and win, but he’s just getting battered by an absolute terminator. Clearly very, very fit and with a great chin because he has taken some sickeningly clean body shots and uppercuts. Lost every round though.

Lee isn't far from earning a world title shot, he's done very well to climb the ladder so quickly and I don't think taking on a risky fight with very little rewards is a good idea at this stage. The Farooq rematch will always be there and given that Farooq's reputation will only grow from now (assuming they can get him properly active again) then I'd be in no rush to arrange the rematch.

As for tonight, I say I'm not watching Okolie again after every fight but he was much improved last time out and having heard a very frank and honest interview from Shane McGuigan during the week I'm pretty intrigued to see how he fairs against a credible opponent. There is alot to be said for inactivity but if Glowacki is in good shape and is coming to win then it should be a very tough fight. The bookies have Okolie at 1/5, can't believe he's so short given it wouldn't really be a surprise if Glowacki won - surely?

Credit where it's due, further improvement from Okolie - he's come a long way from where he was only three fights ago.

Controlled the whole fight from start to finish, wasn't really a contest at any stage. Glowacki did look completely finished but, to be fair, Okolie didn't let him into the fight at all.