Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Agree with everything your saying, I wouldn’t walk to the end of my street to watch two YouTubers fight. But even if Hearn was to come out and call it for the pantomime that it is, there would be a queue of promoters waiting to step in and make a sizeable amount of money in the process. 

I grudge paying a Sky subscription, their Scottish football (Rangers and Celtic away games) output is a joke, but they have the golf, darts and F1 coverage which I do enjoy watching. As you say, Sky Sports News is just an advertising vehicle for them. You wouldn’t know that any other boxers exist if they aren’t signed to Matchroom, they aren’t a ‘news’ channel in any shape or form. 

Yeah. It's more of a venting of frustration really as theres no changing the direction of travel on this. All that can be done is convince whoever you speak to that doesnt already understand, that these people are not boxers, this isnt boxing and there are literally thousands of fighters more deserving of their money and attention I suppose. Just leaves me raging to see a sport so desperate to kill itself off ramp it up for a bit of short term coin. 

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah. It's more of a venting of frustration really as theres no changing the direction of travel on this. All that can be done is convince whoever you speak to that doesnt already understand, that these people are not boxers, this isnt boxing and there are literally thousands of fighters more deserving of their money and attention I suppose. Just leaves me raging to see a sport so desperate to kill itself off ramp it up for a bit of short term coin. 

To be fair, amongst my group of friends, work colleagues, guys down the pub etc. I don’t think I could find one of them who would buy a PPV event between two YouTubers. It’s not those sort of people who need convinced, I would say the vast majority of people who take an interest in boxing are of the same opinion as you and me. It’s the 10-18 year olds who sit and w**k over these guys YouTube videos that will be using their parents money to buy the fight, and unfortunately there is tens of millions of them out there. 

I hadn’t heard of KSI until he was fighting this Logan Paul, it’s absolutely beyond me how he is as popular as he is. His videos get tens of millions of views, but he doesn’t seem to be doing anything special, and from what I’ve seen of him he’s hardly a great personality. One that appeared on my YouTube recently was a video of him ‘reacting’ to a guy eating American McDonalds 😳 the guy is a multi-millionaire! Might start a YouTube channel reacting to my pals eating half pizza suppers if that’s the kind of content that’s paying his bills. 

Just now, St. Jude said:

Taylor and Ramirez confirmed for 8th May in Vegas. 

Hope Josh has fully recovered from his recent trip to the moon, the utter spaceman that he is. 

All joking aside I’m looking forward to that fight, and hopefully he can bring all the belts back to Scotland. 

4 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Hope Josh has fully recovered from his recent trip to the moon, the utter spaceman that he is. 

All joking aside I’m looking forward to that fight, and hopefully he can bring all the belts back to Scotland. 

😂 For obvious reasons I’ve always had a soft spot for Taylor but that’s pretty much disintegrated from the barrel load of moronic comments and actions. I suspect it’s not doing him any favours to be spending so much time around BJS either.

Still, it would be brilliant to have a Scottish unified world champion.

39 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

😂 For obvious reasons I’ve always had a soft spot for Taylor but that’s pretty much disintegrated from the barrel load of moronic comments and actions. I suspect it’s not doing him any favours to be spending so much time around BJS either.

Still, it would be brilliant to have a Scottish unified world champion.

Don't let it change your opinion of him Jude, it's only the weegie fans longing for the days of Ricky Bums  (lol) that care about all that.

My 15 year old son watches that KSI guy play fifa and since his fights with Logan Paul he’s got right into watching boxing so for that it can be good for getting younger viewers into it but as for calling them professional boxers...no just doesn’t sit well!! I honestly fear that a YouTube fighter could potentially be extremely hurt in a fight, Eddie is going to milk it for every penny and fair play to him it’s his job to promote and unfortunately these guys have massive followings!

Has Canelo v BJS been confirmed?

Panorama tonight (9pm BBC1) has Donal McIntyre’s brother (Daragh?) doing a story on the Kinahan cartel (should that be alleged cartel?) and their involvement in boxing and brokering Joshua v Fury. Old news to most boxing fans but for yer average punter it will be a gobsmacking story. 

Missed the first 10 minutes, but thought it was a pretty good piece. As said, not really anything new for boxing fans / Irish gangland warfare fans, but the first high-profile, mainstream documentary on Kinahan I'm aware of on UK tv, so that should certainly raise awareness of who he is, and the insinuations were pretty blunt.

Some laugh seeing wee Barry trying the "I'm just concerned for the sport, honest" line when he's been accused of fucking over his own fighters left, right and centre. He'll still be a hardy wee fucker, by I'd imagine he'll be taking an extra wee look left and right when crossing the road for the foreseeable. 

27 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

A post has been hidden. Please can people be ultra-cautious about posting information about anyone who could potentially be identified by dangerous people. Ta.

Was that my post? :lol: I thought I did my best not identifying or naming anyone. Fair enough though, I’m sure everyone knows the script anyway. 

38 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Yes. Maybe you did but you mentioned specific locations and that "people would be able to work out who it was if they were familiar with the place...". I don't doubt what you were saying which is why I'm erring on the side of caution.

Yeah you’re probably correct there, shouldn't have named the location that I did.