Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

2 hours ago, FifeArab said:

Agreed. He absolutely destroyed him. Smith’s team should’ve thrown the towel in towards the end.

Normally I'd not be keen on the champion's corner throwing the towel in when he's not in immediate danger but in the final rounds Smith was just looking at the clock instead of the knockout he knew he needed and was just hanging on.

It's easy to forget with all the arsehole behaviour he indulges in just how good Canelo is. One of them that pains me to admit. He is a mesmerising technician. An absolute destroyer. Basically at this point there isnt any weakness in his game.

Think the only thing that might end up beating him is biting off more than he can chew power wise at 75 but not even sure who the guy is for that? Beterbiev maybe? He like Smith might just prove to a level below though. Canelo has developed that Mayweather skill of being able to be in the pocket but not take any damage whilst raking shots in. It makes guys go gun shy. If you cant make a guy like that take a backward step you are fucked.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

It's easy to forget with all the arsehole behaviour he indulges in just how good Canelo is. One of them that pains me to admit. He is a mesmerising technician. An absolute destroyer. Basically at this point there isnt any weakness in his game.

Think the only thing that might end up beating him is biting off more than he can chew power wise at 75 but not even sure who the guy is for that? Beterbiev maybe? He like Smith might just prove to a level below though. Canelo has developed that Mayweather skill of being able to be in the pocket but not take any damage whilst raking shots in. It makes guys go gun shy. If you cant make a guy like that take a backward step you are fucked.

Agreed, the only thing that will stop Canelo is him picking a fight with someone who has a proper bomb, who gets lucky and sparks him. Not too many around I think could one hit KO Canelo though.

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

Agreed, the only thing that will stop Canelo is him picking a fight with someone who has a proper bomb, who gets lucky and sparks him. Not too many around I think could one hit KO Canelo though.

Not too many around who can hang with him on the inside either, which is something id say he has excelled at post Mayweather. I tell you what though.... Him v Andre Ward would have have been a wonderful match up. Ward could be the guy to rough Canelo up and take control of the fight away from him because he could bully guys on the inside. I wonder if one day Ward might consider it.

Canelo was on a different level to Smith last night. Did pretty much everything right, fought the perfect fight. Height and reach difference wasn't an issue as he pressured and used the ring so well. Smith looked out of ideas from the second round onwards and was just hanging on by the end.

Although a trilogy fight would be spicy, could see Alvarez easing to a wide points victory without too much bother now. Golovkin looked decent on Friday but he's undoubtedly past his prime.

Who next for him? Saunders? Another change of weight?

16 minutes ago, JMDP said:

Canelo was exceptional last night, real top drawer performance. 

Would like to see GGG get another shot at him though, given he was on the wrong end of two very bad decisions against him. 

Sadly I think GGG got jobbed out of the last big result he was capable of with Canelo. Would be no surprise to see it because I think he has nothing for Canelo at this stage. GGG used to be a terminator but I think it would be Canelo walking him down now. Shame because at his best, the intelligent pressure and control of the distance/footwork of "Big Mexican Show" was joyful to watch

Canelo was exceptional last night, real top drawer performance. 
Would like to see GGG get another shot at him though, given he was on the wrong end of two very bad decisions against him. 

First one yes but I honestly think Canelo won the second fight comfortably!!

Can’t see anyone beating him now...

On 21/12/2020 at 11:12, JMDP said:

Aye, this or Jose Zepeda on Ivan Baranchyk (which was fight of the year by a million miles). 

Slept on that one at the time just seen it's Ring mag FOTY and watched it now.  Entertaining fight but not what I want in a FOTY.

Slept on that one at the time just seen it's Ring mag FOTY and watched it now.  Entertaining fight but not what I want in a FOTY.
It's a wee bit of the caveman appeal that one. Its exciting to watch, but mainly because of Baranchyks insistence that every punch has to be an arsehole-winder, and using his chin to defend himself.

I would agree with you, would like to see a lot more skill at a higher level for FOTY