Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Talk of both Joshua & Fury dropping their belts to clear the way for their proposed clash! Thoughts?

Don't think that's likely to happen. Given AJ stated he was chasing belts (post fight), I think this line if thought is being used to strong arm the sanctioning bodies.

Talk of both Joshua & Fury dropping their belts to clear the way for their proposed clash! Thoughts?

Don't think that's likely to happen. Given AJ stated he was chasing belts (post fight), I think this line if thought is being used to strong arm the sanctioning bodies.
Agreed. Its only the WBO bumping their gums about it which is decent. You'd actually have been amazed if 1 of the 4 didnt have some sort of mandatory issue in a unification of this magnitude.

Logically, they (the WBO) be fucking daft to dig their heels in on this. Risk ruining their credibility and damage the legacy of that belt for what? So that their former cruiserweight champion gets a shot next. Personally, I think their policy of allowing their champion to become automatic mandatory is pretty flawed anyway.

Solution should be relatively simple. Allow the fight to go ahead for all the marbles on the premise that the winner has to fight Usyk in however amount of days. The day after the first fight, winner vacates ahead of an almost certain rematch. Usyk then fights X (Joyce, Parker, Junior Fa etc) for vacant belt. Easy.

I may be a bit thick here but how come Whyte was mandatory for what seemed to be like 2 years but the WBC never called for it?? If I was Usyk I would take the step aside cash and fight the winner for undisputed!!
They're mandatory system is pretty much non existent. That and the franchise champions nonsense (among other things, Bridgerweight division, Yildrim being called to fight Canelo etc etc) is making a bit of a mockery of the once prestigious green and gold belt.

Speaking of mandatories, IBF have a lot to answer for with the Golovkin fight from last night, not exactly competitive, basically just beat the shit out of the boy for 7 rounds (watch on mute, music is woeful).

Imagine when Canelo wins tonight they’ll make GGG - Canelo III next for Cinco De Mayo weekend.

Speaking of mandatories, IBF have a lot to answer for with the Golovkin fight from last night, not exactly competitive, basically just beat the shit out of the boy for 7 rounds (watch on mute, music is woeful).

Imagine when Canelo wins tonight they’ll make GGG - Canelo III next for Cinco De Mayo weekend.

Seen highlights earlier, very timely when the commentator says the boy has no quit just before being put down for a final time by a stiff jab.

The guys record looked okay but he went from beating a 21-0 to beating a 12-14 3 fights later. Very much a pointless fight but will get any ring rust away for GGG for his 2nd loss from Canelo (regardless of how the fight actually pans out)

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

Terrific fight last night on Channel 5. Pitters v Richards British Light Heavyweight title clash. 
Good contrast of styles and a class finish in 9th. 

Saw that, cracking fight. Had seen both in the last few months & it didn't disappoint.

Surely Sky won’t be a happy bunch not being able to broadcast Canelo Smith tonight. Going by the Matchroom website Smith is still promoted by them, so is it a case of Canelos deal with DAZN taking precedence? I know Adam Smith wasn’t too happy when Hearn first had dealings with DAZN, and by the looks of it outside of PPV events, Hearn is just throwing Sky some Saturday night fight nights of varying quality. 

2 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

What we thinking for Smith v Canelo? Im not really interested in the 3rd fight with GGG would like to see him fight Charlo! 6/1 on smith ko or TKO

Should be 600/1. Canelo has walked through GGG and Kovalev, no chance he's getting hurt by Smith.

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Surely Sky won’t be a happy bunch not being able to broadcast Canelo Smith tonight. Going by the Matchroom website Smith is still promoted by them, so is it a case of Canelos deal with DAZN taking precedence? I know Adam Smith wasn’t too happy when Hearn first had dealings with DAZN, and by the looks of it outside of PPV events, Hearn is just throwing Sky some Saturday night fight nights of varying quality. 

Its a Matchroom USA show, they are all on DAZN now.

Canelo is going to batter Smith, leaning towards a late stoppage. Can't see anyway that Smith wins.

48 minutes ago, Super_A said:

Its a Matchroom USA show, they are all on DAZN now.

Im not even going to begin to pretend I understand how these promotion and TV deals work, just thought a British Matchroom fighter in a bout of this standing would be something Sky would be expecting as part of their deal with Matchroom. Signed up to DAZN anyway, £1.99 per month seems like pretty good value too. 

9 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Im not even going to begin to pretend I understand how these promotion and TV deals work, just thought a British Matchroom fighter in a bout of this standing would be something Sky would be expecting as part of their deal with Matchroom. Signed up to DAZN anyway, £1.99 per month seems like pretty good value too. 

As far as I know all Matchroom shows in America are part of his deal with DAZN and now that they have launched in the UK, they have the UK rights. I've signed up as well, few decent fights at the start of next year as well. Might revise it when the price inevitably goes up, especially if the don't get the rights to anything else.

I fully expect Hearn to go to DAZN full time when the deal with Sky runs out.