Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Don't agree at all that just because rounds are close they should automatically go to the champion.

I genuinely cant see any reason why Taylor gets the last two rounds when he landed only 3 punches in each of these rounds and Catterall landed 3 times as many.
You have to take the belt from the Champion is a well worn trope in boxing, and I think for the judges too, not just the fans.

I watched it a couple times now. I would still say Catterall won. It was far from a good fight but its just my opinion Catterall won it. I dont want to say easily but I think by enough to have no doubt.
I havent watched it again but at the time imo 7-5 Catterall would be generous to Taylor.

Saturday's fight had me thinking back to another in recent history with a similar pattern, result & outcry. But I couldn't for the life of me recall who it was until today.

Warrington/Galahad.

Think Warrington/Galahad was a bit different in the sense that lots of the television viewers were led by Ronald Mcintosh's awful commentary. The feeling in the arena is that it was a crap fight and that Warrington won it. Can remember Jamie Moore was a ringside pundit and gave it 9-3 Warrington etc

17 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Think Warrington/Galahad was a bit different in the sense that lots of the television viewers were led by Ronald Mcintosh's awful commentary. The feeling in the arena is that it was a crap fight and that Warrington won it. Can remember Jamie Moore was a ringside pundit and gave it 9-3 Warrington etc

Punch stats back Kid Galahad over Josh Warrington in spoiling tactics row (worldboxingnews.net)

Alternatively, go back to page 563 for reference, June 15 2019.

Edited by kiddy

The speaker of the House of Commons has reported the scoring of Taylor v Catterall to the Police.

Glad he has got time for nonsense gestures like that. Mustn't be much else happening.....
[emoji848]Now THAT'S Top Rank. [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]Screenshot_20220309-075343_Chrome.thumb.jpeg.d8754a22876156d2ec1891069b476f00.jpeg

Conlon was looking for that disguised overhand left for the last 90 seconds of the first round. Dipping low and feinting constantly to the body to draw Wood’s right hand down. A peach of a shot. A great second round for him as well, could potentially be another 10-8.

Conlon was looking for that disguised overhand left for the last 90 seconds of the first round. Dipping low and feinting constantly to the body to draw Wood’s right hand down. A peach of a shot. A great second round for him as well, could potentially be another 10-8.
Don't think 2 is a 10 8 after the way Wood finished but aye, he looks in bother.

I absolutely love that change in levels to feint low then go over the top. Atmosphere is electric and not in the usual wankery tense way. Just looks great.

Wood’s taken onboard the fact that he has to dip under the overhand, but saw on a couple of occasions toward me the end of the fourth that Conlon’s recognised the uppercut is there when he does. Think that could land big later on. So good when you can watch a technically gifted boxer setting up shots in advance with feints and setting little traps.

Wood’s taken onboard the fact that he has to dip under the overhand, but saw on a couple of occasions toward me the end of the fourth that Conlon’s recognised the uppercut is there when he does. Think that could land big later on. So good when you can watch a technically gifted boxer setting up shots in advance with feints and setting little traps.
Aye its sort of a contest of bludgeoning b punch picking but that does a slight disservice to Wood who has really rallied well from a position of real trouble.

Aye its sort of a contest of bludgeoning b punch picking but that does a slight disservice to Wood who has really rallied well from a position of real trouble.

Aye, Wood’s game as f**k, just outgunned. Conlon’s bodywork in particular has been outstanding, especially the left hook and uppercut when he’s stepping in. Plenty of time to go, but only seeing one winner here.