Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

13 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Some scrap on Eurosport just now. Williamson v Cartwright. Cartwright had Williamson down in the 2nd and looked like he could go for the finish but Williamson has came right back into it in the 3rd. 

Worth a watch for anyone interested. Brilliant fight from the first bell to the last. 

Warrington in last chance saloon tonight against Kiko Martinez should he a decent watch. Also Riakporhe who looks like maybe making some noise at the top end of the Cruiserweight division.

Still keen to see how well he takes a good shot though.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Warrington in last chance saloon tonight against Kiko Martinez should he a decent watch. Also Riakporhe who looks like maybe making some noise at the top end of the Cruiserweight division.

Still keen to see how well he takes a good shot though.

I fancy Warrington to take a bit of a pasting tonight, I actually think he will be stopped. If the second Lara fight hadn’t ended with the cut I think he would be retired now, there was an absolute dooing in the post for him there. 

I heard a bit of an interview with him on the radio yesterday, and his speech sounds really bad. I don’t know if he has always been like that so I’ve nothing to compare it to, but he was stuttering and slurring his words all through the interview. All that added to the fact Kiko Martinez is a very dangerous opponent currently, coming off the back of knocking Galahad out as well as a previous fight against Warrington that he only lost by split decision. Martinez to win inside 6 rounds and Warrington to announce his retirement in the post fight interview. 

I fancy Warrington to take a bit of a pasting tonight, I actually think he will be stopped. If the second Lara fight hadn’t ended with the cut I think he would be retired now, there was an absolute dooing in the post for him there. 

I heard a bit of an interview with him on the radio yesterday, and his speech sounds really bad. I don’t know if he has always been like that so I’ve nothing to compare it to, but he was stuttering and slurring his words all through the interview. All that added to the fact Kiko Martinez is a very dangerous opponent currently, coming off the back of knocking Galahad out as well as a previous fight against Warrington that he only lost by split decision. Martinez to win inside 6 rounds and Warrington to announce his retirement in the post fight interview. 
Martinez is one of those guys, he might not quite be "top" level, but you need to be really fucking good yourself, and you need to turn up at your best to beat him.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
20 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Martinez is one of those guys, he might not quite be "top" level, but you need to be really fucking good yourself, and you need to turn up at your best to beat him.

When you look at his record and see 10 losses on it, you would think he’s had an average career and he’s not up to challenging at the top level. But when you look at the opponents he’s lost to, the majority of them have been world champions at one point or another. He has losses to Frampton x 2, Santa Cruz, Gary Russell Jr, Scott Quigg and the previously mentioned Warrington split decision. He’s the epitome of the phrase ‘gate keeper for World level’. As you say he’s never managed to reach those proper world class levels himself, but the guys who did get there had a tough job getting through him first. 

It’s not based on any knowledge at all, but I’ve just got a feeling Martinez is going to come flying out the corner tonight and try and blow Warrington away. There has been questions with regards to Warringtons heart and motivation recently, and I think we’re going to see very quickly tonight if he really wants to be in that ring. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Not good from the ref in Azeez v Cartwright. Cartwright was gone for a good minute at least before he stepped in.

See it too often unfortunately.  Sport as a whole needs to drop the pride aspect of not being stopped/stopping their fighter and move much further towards protecting the fighters.

Whenever we see some controversy over fights stopped early there’s never any real argument that the guy stopped would have won the fight just that they deserve to see the rounds out regardless of the detriment to their health. We need far far more fights stopped earlier. 

See it too often unfortunately.  Sport as a whole needs to drop the pride aspect of not being stopped/stopping their fighter and move much further towards protecting the fighters.
Whenever we see some controversy over fights stopped early there’s never any real argument that the guy stopped would have won the fight just that they deserve to see the rounds out regardless of the detriment to their health. We need far far more fights stopped earlier. 
Think perhaps more onus should be placed on the corner than the ref in all fairness... They are as culpable if not more when someone is taking shots like Cartwright was.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Think perhaps more onus should be placed on the corner than the ref in all fairness... They are as culpable if not more when someone is taking shots like Cartwright was.

Honestly don’t care who calls it. Both are watching the same thing, both have a responsibility to protect the fighter

Honestly don’t care who calls it. Both are watching the same thing, both have a responsibility to protect the fighter
Well aye, but its almost always the ref that gets the blame. I even did it myself in my initial post which was my immediate reaction as I watched. The corner hide behind the ref in terms of responsibility.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Well aye, but its almost always the ref that gets the blame. I even did it myself in my initial post which was my immediate reaction as I watched. The corner hide behind the ref in terms of responsibility.

They do, and you wonder if the refs have a wee thought at the back of their mind that if the corner is happy they could let things go a bit longer.  Bad for everyone to have two parties wanting the other to act first

10 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Got a bet on Warrington via decision, but @IrishBhoy and @Bairnardo have me doubting it now.

Martinez is a big price, the bookies obviously don't fancy him, but I might have a few quid on him now.

I’ve backed Martinez by Technical KO as well as him winning in Rounds 1-3, and a further bet on Martinez to win in the 1st round at 100/1. 

I’ve just got a feeling Warrington doesn’t have the heart for it anymore, and if Martinez comes flying out the blocks and catches Warrington early he will get the stoppage. Well I hope that’s what happens anyway. 

4 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’ve backed Martinez by Technical KO as well as him winning in Rounds 1-3, and a further bet on Martinez to win in the 1st round at 100/1. 

I’ve just got a feeling Warrington doesn’t have the heart for it anymore, and if Martinez comes flying out the blocks and catches Warrington early he will get the stoppage. Well I hope that’s what happens anyway. 

I had Warrington in a treble with Roman and Walsh, so it's beat now anyway.

All in on Martinez now.

2 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

I had Warrington in a treble with Roman and Walsh, so it's beat now anyway.

All in on Martinez now.

Oh yes. Looking forward to watching Warrington box Martinez’ ears off now to make me look like a right dick. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Fucking hell man, clocks go forward tonight I'm wanting my bed and we are p***king about with national anthems. It will never not be a minter.

It’s a fucking pantomime. Warrington had 3 different ring walk songs. Just pick a song and get you’re arse in the ring.