Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

I haven't read this thread but just gathered my thoughts after watching that. I seriously hope there is noone taking any pleasure in that result. We have all had marginal decisions go our way when they shouldn't and reveled in them. That was a disgrace to the sport. That boy has outclassed a World Champion in his own backyard and he's been totally fucking screwed. That's the kind of result you expect in Russia not Scotland. 11-14 was it? That judge should never be allowed near a pen and paper let alone a fucking scorecard ever again.

It was a very poor fight to watch.  Thought Caterall won it handily enough but it was land and hold all the way through, so if judges are swayed by pressure then it's not a massive travesty.

Undoubtedly the most uncomfortable Taylor has ever looked, he had no rhythm from first bell

4 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

It was a very poor fight to watch.  Thought Caterall won it handily enough but it was land and hold all the way through, so if judges are swayed by pressure then it's not a massive travesty.

Undoubtedly the most uncomfortable Taylor has ever looked, he had no rhythm from first bell

I'd have said from the first punch.

The salty tears of the English is absolutely amazing.

Josh Taylor is still champ.

Carl Froch, the legend: 

In reaction, Froch tweeted: “If you go on survival mode for the last four rounds of a world title fight, the judges do not like it.
“Especially when you’re the challenger. Opportunity gone!”

He shat it and held. 

Well my first in person boxing experience, great to see a Scottish champion retain his title! 

JK lol, I really didn’t think he won it. I got comps up in the rafters and found it quite hard to score it but Catterall’s jab was very effective and while it wasn’t pretty inside He spoiled effectively, stopped Taylor getting anywhere. I initially thought the awkwardness was due to two southpaws fighting but it soon became clear that Taylor was having problems establishing a rhythm and he was hit and marked by Catterralls jab.

The decision is just mental. I said they were taking ages and I thought they might score it a draw, which would be pretty bad. One of the judges scored it 114-111, which if you take out the deducted points and knockdown is 8-4 in rounds to Taylor. That’s absolutely crazy, even from my spot in the gods you could see it wasn’t that.

A lot of fans left immediately at the final bell, maybe to get trains etc but the atmosphere died a bit during the fight after being jumping at the start. A lot of fans jumping about and singing and dancing at the end, not for me. 

Often with a fight like this, the cold light of day allows the scoring to make more sense. A rewatch with the commentary turned off is the best way to try and make sense of it, focusing on the round ny round and not the tide of the fight itself.

That said, I wont be doing that. This isnt one of those occasions for me.

Theres no way in hell I could ever score it for Taylor personally.

Youl never get an explanation from the judges of course, but I imagine the only thing they might cling to is aggression, despite it not being effective aggression, from Taylor.

In championship fights and ppv fights in the future, the judges’ score cards should be on an app instead of on paper and beamed onto a tv screen after each round. Even if there’s an extra 20/30 seconds in between rounds so that both fighters and the audience can see how the fight is being scored and to give the judges a bit extra time. If a boxer can see the judges aren’t liking their style then they can change up and go for a ko later on etc.

Was he scoring it on pressure or something? As the Yanks have always seemed to value that over scoring punches landed.
Was listening on an American feed and that was exactly how he was scoring it. I understand they favour that but for me it wasn't effective aggression and the better work came from Catterall. Was shocked at how one dimensional Taylor was for a boy that achieved what he has you would expect him to adjust to what was in front of him but he didn't seem to do that.

Timothy Bradley commented that elite world class fighters don't repeatedly get tagged with the same shot in reference to Taylor repeatedly getting caught with the left hand. That surely has to be a concern if he is talking about the likes of bud Crawford.

Maybe just a bad night at the office for Taylor but the drop off in performance level from him was massive. Surely the last time we see him at 140.

The salty tears of the English is absolutely amazing.
Josh Taylor is still champ.

Carl Froch, the legend: 

In reaction, Froch tweeted: “If you go on survival mode for the last four rounds of a world title fight, the judges do not like it.
“Especially when you’re the challenger. Opportunity gone!”

He shat it and held. 

Don't think it's anything to do with salty tears it's to do with boxing being an absolute fucking shit show again.

JC has put in a lifetimes work be be a WC And really this morning should be the UWC but because of dodgy judging he was robbed in what was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

And lets be honest Carl Froch is an absolute slavering whore of a man who should be nowhere near a boxing commentary/pundit position.

24 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

In championship fights and ppv fights in the future, the judges’ score cards should be on an app instead of on paper and beamed onto a tv screen after each round. Even if there’s an extra 20/30 seconds in between rounds so that both fighters and the audience can see how the fight is being scored and to give the judges a bit extra time. If a boxer can see the judges aren’t liking their style then they can change up and go for a ko later on etc.

One of the governing bodies does open scoring int heir title fights, but fucked if I can remember which one. 

Catterall was ahead on all cards after 8!

https://www.boxingscene.com/catterall-boxing-shame-on-you-judges-f-you-dreams-stolen--164415

"Major drama ensued when Catterall floored Taylor in round eight, ending the round ahead by three points on two scorecards and one point on the third. Taylor swept rounds nine, ten and eleven, though he and Catterall also suffered point deductions for separately ruled fouls. Catterall won round twelve on the card of Foster which gave him a 113-112 nod, only for Lewis and Loughlin to score the round—and ultimately the fight—in favor of Taylor."