Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Decent (IMO anyway) interview with Connor Benn on 5 Live with Steve Bunce. I hadn’t realised Nigel Benn was a pastor these days. In Spain he turned his house into a church on Sundays and would rattle off long verses, Pulp Fiction style, to people who swore or acted up in some way. 

Anyone know if the Spence fight is being shown in the UK? Can’t see a thing online about it, apart from it being $74.99 PPV in America, which works out at just over £57.

I’m not usually one to start looking for streams or use a firestick for PPV events, and 9 times out of 10 I will end up purchasing through the legal channels. If it ever reaches north of 50 quid though, I think I would draw the line. 

24 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Anyone know if the Spence fight is being shown in the UK? Can’t see a thing online about it, apart from it being $74.99 PPV in America, which works out at just over £57.

I’m not usually one to start looking for streams or use a firestick for PPV events, and 9 times out of 10 I will end up purchasing through the legal channels. If it ever reaches north of 50 quid though, I think I would draw the line. 

It’s on FiteTV for £12.99 if anyones interested, and also on HesGoal for free. 

Fury v Whyte this weekend... Whyte is going to find out a thing or two about levels here. I reckon 3 to 4 rounds of Whyte throwing wildly, hitting very little and Tyson making it ugly, leaning back on the ropes, jab and grab etc. Severe gas tank issue to manifest itself and Fury opening up and running through him for a TKO around 8 or 9.

Fury losing the head at a Sky interview yesterday as well where they really got tore into him about Kinahan and he never liked it one bit. 

Very respectful presser there from both guys which was refreshing to see. Big John Fury trying to get in about the head to head was the usual embarrassment from him.

On 21/04/2022 at 21:02, senorsoupe said:

Anyone surprised that Organized crime is involved in boxing clearly hasn't been paying attention to boxing for the last century or so

I think everyone is well aware that boxing has always had links, and very much appeals to, the sort of people involved in organised crime. It’s not a surprise to anyone who follows the sport. 

What is different with the Kinahans is the level of crime that they are involved in. The American authorities have said that they hold Daniel Kinahan and his associates in the same regard as the Yakuza and the Gommorah. 79 people with links to the gang are currently imprisoned, multiple people have been murdered where Kinahan or his cronies are suspects and it’s estimated that the gang/organisation has turned over BILLIONS of pounds through the importation of drugs. That’s not even mentioning the amount of lives that will have been ruined indirectly, from drug abuse, intimidation to commit crimes or plain assault. 

There has never been a person with so many ties to so many boxers, involved in this level of organised crime at the same time as having such an influence in boxing. Any boxer who has previously sang Kinahans praises, who now refuses to even acknowledge his existence, will go down in my estimations. Tyson Fury the first of many no doubt. 

The undercard doesn't look great, or am I missing something?

I also noticed that Warren obviously hasn't embraced the 21st century and so there's no female fights? The only women were scantily clad lovelies in the background.

I thought all sport had moved on from that nonsense?

27 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The undercard doesn't look great, or am I missing something?

No you’re not. It’s absolutely woeful. Matchrooms PPV events on Sky would always get criticised for their undercards being mismatches, but at least they showcased their up and coming fighters and you would get the odd upset.

The only fight that was close to a 50/50 was Cacace v Romero, but that fight has been pulled after Romero failed to get a visa on time, and Frank didn’t bother to try and find a replacement, even though there is 60 odd British fighters at the same weight. I’m sure there would have been a fighter out there who would have jumped at the chance of fighting at Wembley on a massive card, but the fight has been pulled completely and a fight that wasn’t going to be televised put in its place.