Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, DavidMcG said:

As a Stirling fan I'm wondering what we might expect of Dave Mackay as a manager? I'm assuming and hoping he will take no shit because our players are all bellends

As long as he plays himself 1-11 then you'll be alright.

9 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

As a Stirling fan I'm wondering what we might expect of Dave Mackay as a manager? I'm assuming and hoping he will take no shit because our players are all bellends.

Mackay undoubtedly commanded respect in the Saints dressing room. He led by example as a player though, you knew his standard of performance was always going to be consistent. That maybe doesn't necessarily translate into management but I expect the standards of everything he does will be high and he'll expect them to be matched by his players.

Whether he can turn round a toxic dressing room is another question but if given time, I'd expect him to fill it with good types who match his standards.

"Long ball team", "boring defensive football", "useless journeymen"

g5QGJG.gif

:wub: And we love it

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also, worth noting that despite the pumping we received, we score yet another cracker of a goal on Saturday.

66218V.gif

Just a shame that Wright is useless and we're doomed to relegation.

According to WAP anyway.

8 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Just a shame that Wright is useless and we're doomed to relegation.

According to WAP anyway.

Aye, its gloomy on there, even by my standards.

Biscuits taken by the guy claiming Wright doesn't deserve any credit for the Cup win or the consecutive seasons in Europe, as May won us the Cup and Rangers and Hearts would've finished above us if they hadn't been in complete meltdown.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, its gloomy on there, even by my standards.

Biscuits taken by the guy claiming Wright doesn't deserve any credit for the Cup win or the consecutive seasons in Europe, as May won us the Cup and Rangers and Hearts would've finished above us if they hadn't been in complete meltdown.

Standard WAP when we're on a bad run.

Just wanted to pop in and ask you guys about Haber. I wasn't blown away when we signed him and I can't remember him ever doing anything of note for you guys.

Just what type of player was he for you lot? As I seem to recall when we signed him you mentioned his pace? Doesn't strike me as that type of player at all. He seems to be a great target man. He won't score many goals for us but his link up play with Wighton has been great but more than that I'm surprised at just how good he is at trapping the ball and winning headers.

Haber was very inexperienced when he pitched up at Saints, even more so when you consider he hadn't always been a centre forward. He didn't have much in terms of link-up of play, rather the separate tools (e.g. his physique, touch etc) that probably attracted WBA to him in the first place. With 150 games in England and more international experience it was always going to be a different player that Dundee got and I was surprised at the emphasis that had been put on his time at Saints.

The clubs he's had in England point to a bit of a jobber but with the raw options that Dundee had, he was going to offer something different and Hartley needed that if you look at the run of results the team was going through.

I don't think he's a bad finisher but it would admittedly seem unlikely a player with his goalscoring record is going to go on a spree. He might not even be a good long-term option for Dundee (I doubt he'd have interested Hartley in the summer - even allowing for Hemmings and Stewart going) but I'm not shocked he's doing a job at the moment.

His biggest contribution could be bringing something out of Wighton though, which would arguably be as big as any contribution he could make himself.

He was in essence Sandaza's bartering ram when at saints. He allowed himself to harass and bully defenders which lead to space for Sandaza to exploit. Sounds like he's doing a similar job with Wighton. He's good for half a dozen goals a season, but I suspect as Radford alludes to his contribution isn't so much his own play, it's getting the best out of others.

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

That's the sun linking another star player away in January.....

He'd be an idiot to leave, as he'll never find another manager willing to just wave away the fact he can't defend or last 90 minutes.