Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I think May has gone too far the other way in terms of not being selfish like he was back in 13/14 (eg trying to play in Bryson running past him in the first half tonight when he maybe could have got a shot away) but his movement and awareness is sharp as ever and creates all kinds of space for others. Melamed’s two first half chances tonight were made by assists from May. I’d need to go back and see what his involvement in the second half header was but you can bet his movement was creating space for someone!

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

May done a lot of the running to create space for Guy. As Radford says he set up a chance by great foot work, he also did the one two for another of his shots. Guy needs a hard worker beside him imo.

From open play hes not had a shot on target from inside the box since we played Rangers on 23rd of December, thats 262 minutes now.

Since that absolute nadir of a performance at home to Hamilton on the 30th December, hes only had 3 open play shots in total, and the 2 of them that were in the box (both v Livi) were no hope efforts from a tight angle that were blocked by defenders 2 yards in front of him.

Theres a middle ground between working hard/linking play, and offering absolutely no goal threat at all, and hes absolutely miles from it.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I think May has gone too far the other way in terms of not being selfish like he was back in 13/14 (eg trying to play in Bryson running past him in the first half tonight when he maybe could have got a shot away) but his movement and awareness is sharp as ever and creates all kinds of space for others. Melamed’s two first half chances tonight were made by assists from May. I’d need to go back and see what his involvement in the second half header was but you can bet his movement was creating space for someone!

Must be hard figuring out when to shoot and when not too, hes probably overthinking it now. 

Needs to just get in middle of the box and see what drops for him, totally unconvinced he needs to be out wide/at the edge of the box as much as he is.

Happy to retract this if I rewatch the game and see hes a vital part of chances being created, but think its easy to understand why Melamed/Kane are first choice. Both linked well, but also posed a goal threat, v United. One striker doesnt have to sacrifice themselves for the other.

Must be hard figuring out when to shoot and when not too, hes probably overthinking it now. 
Needs to just get in middle of the box and see what drops for him, totally unconvinced he needs to be out wide/at the edge of the box as much as he is.
Happy to retract this if I rewatch the game and see hes a vital part of chances being created, but think its easy to understand why Melamed/Kane are first choice. Both linked well, but also posed a goal threat, v United. One striker doesnt have to sacrifice themselves for the other.
He needs to do what the manager tells him to do.

10 minutes ago, The Marly said:

He needs to do what the manager tells him to do.

How do you know what the managers telling him to do?

Players have a degree of freedom, they aren't expected to spend 90 minutes just doing exactly what their manager tells them to do.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the season, but the game that led to May's dropping as first choice was the first where he noticeably wasn't in the box and was getting berated by Davidson. That to me was quite telling, as it came after Callum stated he wanted him in the box to the media. I took from that, that May wasn't performing the role the manager wanted and was dropped accordingly. I may be reading it wrongly, but I think Callum knows exactly what he wants players to do and if they won't/can't he's pretty ruthless. 

19 minutes ago, The Marly said:

I don't. Neither do you.

Screenshot_20210304-090533_Chrome.thumb.jpg.70bfafe9112c631641c8cb6a364b22e7.jpg

I'm fairly sure watching May spend 60 minutes yesterday standing outside the box/having 5 touches in the box but 0 shots, isn't what he wants.

Screenshot_20210304-090533_Chrome.thumb.jpg.70bfafe9112c631641c8cb6a364b22e7.jpg

I'm fairly sure watching May spend 60 minutes yesterday standing outside the box/having 5 touches in the box but 0 shots, isn't what he wants.
May had a good game. Looking back the thread, quite a few thought so too apart from you. What Callum said a few months ago and what his instructions to Stevie last night could have been totally different. Yes players will have some freedom within the game plan, but if the manager told him to play on the left and he then stood in the middle as you seem to be suggesting, that's not freedom. That's ignoring the manager's instructions.

26 minutes ago, The Marly said:

May had a good game. Looking back the thread, quite a few thought so too apart from you. 

May is better than being a facilitator for Melamed, and playing a few pretty one-twos around the box. I've never once said he didn't play well last night, just that he offered zero goal threat as part of a front two, and that's not good enough.

He's found himself as 3rd choice for a reason.

50 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I think we could do better for the money, it's a gamble, is it worth taking while getting Hendry out the door as well? All depends on who Callum has lined up.

Callum Hendry is beginning to look a little like Tony Watt and for that I'm not convinced he'll be here next season, as he's not Davidson's kind of player. He'll also probably be really annoyed he missed out on a League Cup winners medal.

I'm comparing him to Watt, as he's clearly got ability but a lot of the time doesn't make the right decisions, has a tendency to fluff easy chances and has a similar sort of attitude/temperament. They're style of play is also very similar, except Watt has more bulk on his side, whereas Hendry is better in the air. Neither would suit Davidson's way of playing IMO and if he's continuing with these formations/style, which are now bearing fruit and producing some great football, then he's going to want to ship Hendry on and find someone else. Even better if McInnes fancies throwing us £50/100k for his services since he seems to be the only Aberdeen player capable of scoring right now. 

Good listen this:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4aoyo86b4bqF8chl7uu1ew?si=gGSC7GHOSwWqC6ouaPhUSQ

Interesting insight from Liam Craig about his role at looking at the loan players at the moment, as well as Brian Graham saying his piece about signing for County whilst on loan at us. Can't knock him really!

Hosted by Kenny Crawford, by far and away my favourite Scottish football journalist! Can tell with everything he does the respect players have for him.

Edited by subtleapple

30 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=_Future_Ticketing_scores_again_in_Scottish_Football&ID=12982

Alright there gents this has just went up on our official website and it says they're partnered with you, how is the ticketing setup at McDiarmid? 

Congrats on the league Cup win aswell, a glorious achievement. 

Think there was some teething issues at 1st game IIRC but was fairly straightforward after that. ST holders got a plastic card to be scanned, pay per game had to show or print off an email for scanning.

Good to get above garbage like Raith & Morton who have 1 paltry trophy win!

Might not be a Saints player anymore but pleased for Callaghan. He's found a club that he can be confident in how he plays and it works for both him and Hamilton.  He actually has a good touch now and what a great goal. Melamed's goal was even better for me. A thing of beauty and as I missed the earlier parts of the game due to my Morrison's shopping trip/ scouting vantage points,  he really is a proper goal threat.  Love to keep him as he balances our options up front.  As an aside I was disappointed for Kano not getting a goal in the cup final. If he had his weight on the other leg all he had to do was lift the left one and he would have made contact and scored.  It would have been just desserts for the  improvement in his all round play. 

4 times as many passes between Tanser and May/Melamed, as there was between Rooney/Brown and May/Melamed.

With Wotherspoon playing high on the left, do we focus on the left side, potentially to allow Rooney to be 1v1 at the back post, too much just now?

He was pretty anonymous yesterday, then Brown doesn't seem to offer the same 1v1 threat at all, while Bryson wasn't adding much in attack while Melamed was staying fairly central.

I'm just rambling a bit tbh as I noticed this, and felt like Hamilton had started to just block off the left that led to us playing it long in the 2nd half, but I'm out of inspiration just now after an incredibly shit day to actually watch the game back and see if thats right or wrong. Hopefully get time tomorrow night.