Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I think he’s still got a couple of years left at Celtic. 

I’m not against signing him permanently. I just don’t like bringing in someone who’s in effect a development player and seeing none of the long term benefits of it. 

If Rooney is over the line though and with Duffy still under contract, I don’t know if we’ll be in for another right back. 
Thought Ralston was out of contract but if not definitely move for Rooney.
Just hope lessons been learned and we are proactive early !!

I thought we'd signed Rooney on a PCA no?

Agree about Booth, a good defender to have in the squad, has contributed superbly to our improvement and would be a worthwhile and hopefully not too expensive addition.  

He's a known quantity as well, so less of a gamble, and it would mean we could focus more of our attention on midfield and forward areas.

Before the Hamilton game I said that at least we'd hold onto McCann for a decent amount of time because nobody outside Perth would notice a defensive midfielder who does the less glamorous side of the game. 5 weeks later and he's bagged 4 goals and 2 assists. He's going to Milan. 

I liked Matt Kennedy as a player at Saints a lot and really enjoyed watching him play.  I didn't begrudge him his move at all, and would welcome him back at Saints one day.

But there's something strangely satisfying that a player who is going to leave at the end of the season to move onto 'bigger things' is just told "right off you go son, if you're not wanting to be one of us we don't need you."  It feels like we took a bit of control over the decision rather than just being here at the convenience of the player until he decides he's had enough as is usually the case with our better players.

It was a big gamble by Saints , a lot of us probably thought it was the wrong move at the time and whilst it could yet backfire,  at the minute it's looking like a very good bit of business.

8 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Was not a fan of Ralston but he is starting to grow on me. Hopefully we try to entice him on a PCA as let's face it, he will not be resigned by Celtic.

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

I think he’s still got a couple of years left at Celtic. 

Contracted until 2022 - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5218623/Anthony-Ralston-signs-new-long-term-contract-Celtic.html

Rooney is reported by some as done, and by some as us being "front runners". Dont know if theyd consider not announcing it until ICTs season is done?

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

It was a big gamble by Saints , a lot of us probably thought it was the wrong move at the time and whilst it could yet backfire,  at the minute it's looking like a very good bit of business.

I thought it was a mistake. But, seemingly, taking the fee and using it to get McCart now is a masterstroke, especially with Gordon getting injured.

On the flipside, I've always championed Wotherspoon on the left.

Before the Hamilton game I said that at least we'd hold onto McCann for a decent amount of time because nobody outside Perth would notice a defensive midfielder who does the less glamorous side of the game. 5 weeks later and he's bagged 4 goals and 2 assists. He's going to Milan. 

Like the runs and breaks forward past the forwards that Phillip Scott used to make. Lads different class. Gonna smash our transfer record the way he is progressing

Buses who are not booked anywhere I ayr, the Bellrock bar 144 Ayr road can accommodate upto 5 buses, we house home and away fans always very very popular with both sets of fans, have a large function hall, cheap drinks, massive car park out back for buses and the usual pool table, jukebox and 5 TVs with all different sports on , we will be putting a spread on for both seats of fans. Come along and enjoy ur day in here before and after the game. Dundee Utd had 9 full buses in when they came down to Somerset park. TO BOOK IN CALL THE PUB ON 01292-470760 it’s a 10 minute walk to the ground but better off jumping back on ur bus and parking nearer the ground when done.

I liked Matt Kennedy as a player at Saints a lot and really enjoyed watching him play.  I didn't begrudge him his move at all, and would welcome him back at Saints one day.
But there's something strangely satisfying that a player who is going to leave at the end of the season to move onto 'bigger things' is just told "right off you go son, if you're not wanting to be one of us we don't need you."  It feels like we took a bit of control over the decision rather than just being here at the convenience of the player until he decides he's had enough as is usually the case with our better players.

100% this. I actually think Kennedy going improves us as a team. We’ll miss his running and excitement; however every time we attacked it had to be through him and when he didn’t get it, he kinda acted up and went looking for it. We’re just much better as a team and not relying on one individual person. In a way, Kennedy leaving will possibly bring the best out of Spoony, O’Halloran and Wright as they’re all team players and happy to make sacrificial runs off the ball and never receive it. There was always an expectation the ball had to end up with Kennedy or we wouldn’t have a chance to score.

I might get stuck for this, but we look better without Davidson as well. It’s allowed McCann to go box to box as he doesn’t have to cover for Murray’s wandering. If he’s to come back in the team, it’s got to be as a deep lying player or as part of a 3 man midfield. We can’t play McCann and Davidson as a two as it actually hampered Ali’s natural game.

On McCann, just when you think he can’t get any better this season, he just is. To add goals, assists and forward running to a position many thought was a Chris Miller type style is testament to the lad. He’s as good on the ball as Miller, does almost the same job, yet scores and creates. The engine he’s got is frankly staggering and the ability to turn out of trouble or pick up the ball at the right time is an art. Even against Celtic, I don’t recall him losing the ball or misplacing a pass or being bullied off it. The kids going to go far in the game, there’s no doubt about it. The biggest compliment I can give him, is he’s very similar in style to John McGinn. The drive and energy is his biggest positive, but by god he can play as well. He ain’t going to be around in Perth for much longer and it’ll be interesting to see what happens at the next international break, N.I are going to want to cap him as soon as possible, cause Scotland could still make a late move for him if they’re clever.

I agree about Davidson, sadly. For as long as Ali is playing like he is, I think players in the Craig and Holt mould are better suited to pay with him in midfield. They're better on the ball and hold their position better which allows McCann to roam about the place like he as been doing recently. He just pops up absolutely everywhere.

I think the observations about Kennedy are fair but maybe not quite right. The good run we're on started prior to his departure - he contributed a lot before the winter break. I think he and McCann played at a consistently higher level than the rest of the team, but everything seems to have just clicked into place over the last couple of months. The defence is stronger with Gordon fit and McCart there as an option. Booth is clearly a defensive upgrade on Tanser as well, even if he doesn't offer quite as much going forward. Ralston has benefited from the more settled defence around him. I think Davidson had been fine prior to his injury too, but no doubt Craig, Wotherspoon and to a lesser extent Holt have picked up dramatically recently as well. I think the right hand side of midfield is still up for grabs - Wright and O'Halloran have both been good in spells but neither of them has quite grabbed the jersey in the same way as Wotherspoon has on the left.

We also have 3 strikers who are contributing. May's movement is excellent if you watch him for a while, Kane's a pain in the arse for defences and Hendry is brilliant at exploiting tired defences.

I remember people commenting after the St Mirren and Hamilton games - where we obviously picked up 4 points - that you could see the game plans those teams were implementing but it was more of a struggle to see ours. I don't think that's the case now - we're playing at a high tempo, quick passing, hunting down the ball in packs and happy to drop in deep if we have some defending to do. Everyone seems to have a role now that brings out the best in them and that's probably been the case since the Ross County home  match just before the break. I know we only drew but we were very good in that game and a lot of the qualities that have improved the team were present on that day too.

Edited by Kyle

Don’t get me wrong Kyle, I’d much rather still have Kennedy than not. You’re also correct that he was contributing and playing well; however my point is more that I think we look better as a team, rather than feel we need to go through Matty as I’m sure people may agree we did far too much. He was our most creative outlet, but at the same time it also made us easy to play against and a little too predictable. Matty was excellent for saints, absolutely and I’d have loved to keep him, but we’re a more balanced team without him on the left and we never got to see him upfront again which I think was his best position for us.

55 minutes ago, Widge said:

100% this. I actually think Kennedy going improves us as a team. We’ll miss his running and excitement; however every time we attacked it had to be through him and when he didn’t get it, he kinda acted up and went looking for it. We’re just much better as a team and not relying on one individual person. In a way, Kennedy leaving will possibly bring the best out of Spoony, O’Halloran and Wright as they’re all team players and happy to make sacrificial runs off the ball and never receive it. There was always an expectation the ball had to end up with Kennedy or we wouldn’t have a chance to score.

I might get stuck for this, but we look better without Davidson as well. It’s allowed McCann to go box to box as he doesn’t have to cover for Murray’s wandering. If he’s to come back in the team, it’s got to be as a deep lying player or as part of a 3 man midfield. We can’t play McCann and Davidson as a two as it actually hampered Ali’s natural game.

On McCann, just when you think he can’t get any better this season, he just is. To add goals, assists and forward running to a position many thought was a Chris Miller type style is testament to the lad. He’s as good on the ball as Miller, does almost the same job, yet scores and creates. The engine he’s got is frankly staggering and the ability to turn out of trouble or pick up the ball at the right time is an art. Even against Celtic, I don’t recall him losing the ball or misplacing a pass or being bullied off it. The kids going to go far in the game, there’s no doubt about it. The biggest compliment I can give him, is he’s very similar in style to John McGinn. The drive and energy is his biggest positive, but by god he can play as well. He ain’t going to be around in Perth for much longer and it’ll be interesting to see what happens at the next international break, N.I are going to want to cap him as soon as possible, cause Scotland could still make a late move for him if they’re clever.

I compared McCann to McGinn earlier this season. I think it’s the way he moves and how he likes to get his elbow in while battling for the ball. 

Hate to dampen the McCann enthusiasm, but rather than the multi-million pound bid that he surely will deserve, isn't the future as likely to include a scenario where Rangers see his Norn Ireland credentials and slip in a grimy, lowball bid just before a transfer deadline, which unsettles the player to the point that his form disappears?

Edited by Mr Heliums

Hate to dampen the McCann enthusiasm, but rather than the multi-million pound bid that he surely will deserve, isn't the future as likely to include a scenario where Rangers see his Norn Ireland credentials and slip in a grimy, lowball bid just before a transfer deadline, which unsettles the player to the point that his form disappears?

No chance

49 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Absolutely. At which point he will chuck the towel in and want to go.

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

Probably. I choose to ignore this inconvenient truth though, and will enjoy the young,  prodigious talent whilst he's here.