Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I don't know how true this is but I was told by someone who is normally pretty reliable that Rooney has signed a PC..We were negotiating with Inverness to bring McCart in during the January window and agreed not to announce it until the end of the season as Inverness did not want it announced on top of losing two first choice defenders already.

Yeah I thought about putting him in but as you say it's not been announced yet. I've stuck to the ones that are in the public domain and 100%

Assuming Rooney is true, you're probably looking at 2 or 3 midfielders/wingers and maybe a striker in the summer, assuming that the players we kind of expect to get extended contracts (Booth, Craig, Davidson, Wright and Kane) stay on.

Yeah I thought about putting him in but as you say it's not been announced yet. I've stuck to the ones that are in the public domain and 100%
Assuming Rooney is true, you're probably looking at 2 or 3 midfielders/wingers and maybe a striker in the summer, assuming that the players we kind of expect to get extended contracts (Booth, Craig, Davidson, Wright and Kane) stay on.
I'd rather Kane moved on tbh. We have Hendry and May signed up and given where we are with the rest of the squad, I'd like to see us sign someone different up front. Ogkmpoe at Hamilton would be an interesting one to look at if they go down.

2 minutes ago, The Marly said:
16 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'd rather Kane moved on tbh. We have Hendry and May signed up and given where we are with the rest of the squad, I'd like to see us sign someone different up front. Ogkmpoe at Hamilton would be an interesting one to look at if they go down.

I'm not expressing one way or the other with Kane but he's clearly got a supporter/advocate in the manager. I just can't see him going anywhere.

I hope we focus on another striker too and Ogkmpoe is someone I quite like. Totally different to what we hae and clearly effective at this level. I was at the Hearts Accies match last week and he was excellent.

I'm not expressing one way or the other with Kane but he's clearly got a supporter/advocate in the manager. I just can't see him going anywhere.
I hope we focus on another striker too and Ogkmpoe is someone I quite like. Totally different to what we hae and clearly effective at this level. I was at the Hearts Accies match last week and he was excellent.
Yeah I realise what you're saying re Kane, I just think we're in a position to improve the striker options for next season.

5 minutes ago, The Marly said:
13 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Yeah I realise what you're saying re Kane, I just think we're in a position to improve the striker options for next season.

There is surely a decent budget there for the manager to go out and strengthen that and one or two other positions given the players we're likely releasing in the summer. Not many of whom will actually be missed in terms of what they've brought to the team this season.

Anderson, Callachan, Swanson, McMillan for a start, and then 4 loanees on top of that as well. Potentially some wages left over from Kennedy and Wright if he moves on too.

Edited by Kyle

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

There is surely a decent budget there for the manager to go out and strengthen that and one or two other positions given the players we're likely releasing in the summer. Not many of whom will actually be missed in terms of what they've brought to the team this season.

Anderson, Callachan, Swanson, McMillan for a start, and then 4 loanees on top of that as well. Potentially some wages left over from Kennedy and Wright if he moves on too.

I think you might be right, particularly with Anderson & McMillian who'll likely be in the top 4-5 earners, which is of course wasted on players not involved whatsoever. Swanson wont be cheap either. 

I imagine TW will attempt to sign Holt, particularly if he continues the recent form. Looked much better last 2-3 weeks. We've got Rooney allegedly signed spending Ralstons wages give or take. Dont think we'll be paying much of the other two loanee's wages though. 

So for arguments sake, even if TW has to reduce the size of the squad with the loanee's leaving and the names you've listed for leaving, if Drey does go especially, surely theres budget there for 2 or 3 to come in. 

Winger for each side? & Holt if he agree's or a striker?

I think we might need another central player on top of Holt. Butcher gives is us that just now, just as Callachan did earlier in the season (although I was probably ahead of him in the pecking order after August).

McCann, Davidson, Craig, Holt and Wotherspoon would be the central option in that scenario. Craig and Davidson over 30 and Davidson always has spells out of the team through injury and Wotherspoon is fine in a midfield 3, but for me is better on the wing and a stop gap option in there. We also have to factor in the fact that bids could come in for McCann.

GK - Clark, Parish, Sinclair 

RB - Rooney, Duffy

CB - Kerr, Gordon, McCart, Duffy (Booth in an emergency) - (possibly new signing?)

LB - Booth, Tanser

RW - O'Halloran, Wright/New signings, Wotherspoon

CM - McCann, Craig, Davidson, Holt/New signing, New signing (Wotherspoon)

LW - Wotherspoon, New Signings, O'Halloran

ST - May, Hendry, Kane/New signing, New signing (O'Halloran)

Something like that as our squad for next season? I tried to cover off the players who can play in more than one position as well. A lot depends on who we retain and just how much the manager is given to play with. I make that a squad of 23 with some other youngsters like Northcott, Robertson etc floating around in the background.

Edited by Kyle

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

I think we might need another central player on top of Holt. Butcher gives is us that just now, just as Callachan did earlier in the season (although I was probably ahead of him in the pecking order after August).

McCann, Davidson, Craig, Holt and Wotherspoon would be the central option in that scenario. Craig and Davidson over 30 and Davidson always has spells out of the team through injury and Wotherspoon is fine in a midfield 3, but for me is better on the wing and a stop gap option in there. We also have to factor in the fact that bids could come in for McCann.

GK - Clark, Parish, Sinclair 

RB - Rooney, Duffy

CB - Kerr, Gordon, McCart, Duffy (Booth in an emergency) - (possibly new signing?)

LB - Booth, Tanser

RW - O'Halloran, Wright/New signings, Wotherspoon

CM - McCann, Craig, Davidson, Holt/New signing, New signing (Wotherspoon)

LW - Wotherspoon, New Signings, O'Halloran

ST - May, Hendry, Kane/New signing, New signing (O'Halloran)

Something like that as our squad for next season? I tried to cover off the players who can play in more than one position as well. A lot depends on who we retain and just how much the manager is given to play with. I make that a squad of 23 with some other youngsters like Northcott, Robertson etc floating around in the background.

We need another keeper. Even if we intend Zander to be our starter he needs serious competition from a credible alternative. If we're not confident in playing Parish after the last few games then we have a major weakness in the squad. 

RB - not seen much of Rooney to be fair but in the game against United tonight he played some tidy football. 

CB - Booth would be the backup for me, Duffy is the emergency cover, although I'm struggling to think of such an emergency. Get him loaned. 

LB - bit of a worry for me in that I like us being able to play 3/5 at the back but Booth isn't a wing-back and Tanser is a defensive bombscare.  A proper wing-back would possibly be an expensive luxury.

Wings - MOH and Spoony stay but both are injury prone. Drey ... stats aren't everything and I'd like him to stay. That said, is he worth throwing money at? He may come good next season having played into recovery but if Bristol Rovers want to take that gamble instead of us, then I'm not sure it's worth too much of a battle. In summary, I think we'll need at least one winger. 

Mids - Would like to keep Holt if we can afford him and extending Butcher's loan would be good too. Would like to see us beef this area up a bit as we're looking light. 

Agree with others that now is the time to move Kane on. He'll find a Championship team easily enough, possibly on not much of a wage drop, and probably score some goals. We can and should have better/different. 

So that's a new keeper, a winger, a center mid and a striker at the very least. The problem that I forsee is that at the recent fans forum our CEO apparently let slip that we had to 'do something about the wage bill'. This was apparently 'because Kilmarnock'. 

RG contract extension wishlist

Booth, Craig, Davidson, Kane*

*Only if the intention is to have him as 3rd choice behind May and Hendry. Think a cheap, workhorse, happy to sit on the bench and allow May to recover/Hendry to develop seems sensible.

Dont think Ralston, Holt, Butcher or Jones are affordable/attainable permanently, or worth what theyd want.

Split on Wright but if he is a higher earner, then heave him. Obvs have Anderson, McMillan and Swanson in there too.

RG Summer wishlist

GK back up better than Parish, but only if we can sell/punt Parish.

First choice RB.

RB/CB who can provide cover, and allow Duffy to develop at a more suitable level on loan.

2x CM. Davidson replacement/deputy. Someone similar to Craig/potential long term replacement. 

2x Wingers. One for either wing.

One cheap as f**k battering ram striker we can randomly give 3 minutes a game too when we feel like hammering centre backs.

There's a lot I like about Saints: the manager, the ground, Stephen Dobbie and the fact they usually loan us gems. But what are the seat colours all about? Is there an actual reason for it or was the architect smoking crack at the time?

Dunfermline's baffles me as well with the red seats.