Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

31 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

For the final two months or so of last season he partnered Paul Paton in centre midfield in a team which finished 4th. They out performed Hearts, Aberdeen, Partick Thistle and many of the bottom six sides in various matches in the closing stages of the season.

On paper, I wouldn't get excited about either of those players, but we've always been more about the sum of the parts, and it got results.

I don't think he's mobile enough to play wide left anymore though, so he's another in the long list of centre midfielders we have.

Its been said before, but a decent amount of our wage bill must go on providing cover for Millar and Davidson. It's a tough one, because when fit and on their day they are both excellent, but you have to provide cover for them as both are also injury prone.

So if we got rid of Davidson and Millar we could save two wages, on the injury cover ! 

The Sun reporting that Partick are in talks with The Rangers for MoH. Unless I'm missing anything, they can't be in a much better financial position than us to bring him in.

13 minutes ago, Tappy said:

The Sun reporting that Partick are in talks with The Rangers for MoH. Unless I'm missing anything, they can't be in a much better financial position than us to bring him in.

Image result for glasgow euro lottery winners

I think Rangers would prefer to let him go elsewhere than us, this Dave King seems desperate to play up to the fanbase so "getting it up us" after we "fucked them about" when signing him, would go towards that. I'm not convinced the player himself would want to come back either.

Regardless they've taken a fee from Lindsay this Summer and don't have to bother about the overheads as much as we do.

Wonder where it would leave TW though, missing out on what's a key target, to a team with similar wages, and a worse run of positions, would possibly tip him over the edge.

Would be a shame to see the Weirs do a Gretna/Livi on them.

They seem to have put most of the money towards the youth development, whilst still maintaining the same wage bill area as they did before. It seems a far, far more sensible approach to money than any others. It must surely give them a bit more leeway when it comes to important signings though.

Steve and Tommy can have the next couple of weeks without any significant rumourage. After that though, the daggers are well and truly oot. 

Striker and a left winger, lads. No excuses will be accepted. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

They seem to have put most of the money towards the youth development, whilst still maintaining the same wage bill area as they did before. It seems a far, far more sensible approach to money than any others. It must surely give them a bit more leeway when it comes to important signings though.

None of their money has gone towards the 1st team dude. Off the top of my head it's basically been; paying off the bank debt, setting up the weir youth academy and obviously the training ground. 

All signing fees, wages, mid season training camps are from the budget. 

There wasn't much substance with us and the MOH rumour so I wouldn't worry. 

None of their money has gone towards the 1st team dude. Off the top of my head it's basically been; paying off the bank debt, setting up the weir youth academy and obviously the training ground. 

Yeah I know, you seem to be treating the money the correct way. I still get the feeling if Archibald wanted a player, and the board understood how much of a difference that player could make, you'd be able and willing to take a financial gamble on it.

That's a mindset we don't have.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah I know, you seem to be treating the money the correct way. I still get the feeling if Archibald wanted a player, and the board understood how much of a difference that player could make, you'd be able and willing to take a financial gamble on it.

There's probably been a knock-on effect with the stability the Weirs have brought as well given that Thistle now seem prepared to pay out small fees for the likes of Keown and Barton, in the same way we've done with Johnson, Moult, Bowman (less successfully) and Carson (success of whom remains to be seen).

I've not really followed Saints transfers (other than Scougall) has Wright gone down the same route after the sales of May and O'Halloran?

32 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

The Weir's input though means you can have a bigger than normal first team budget as you're not directing funds into the areas they're covering.

It's an observation, not a criticism. As others have mentioned it's good to see wealthy fans not following the usual route of splashing the cash on names and taking a more measured approach. The more money sensibly injected into we diddies the better.

There's probably been a knock-on effect with the stability the Weirs have brought as well given that Thistle now seem prepared to pay out small fees for the likes of Keown and Barton, in the same way we've done with Johnson, Moult, Bowman (less successfully) and Carson (success of whom remains to be seen).
I've not really followed Saints transfers (other than Scougall) has Wright gone down the same route after the sales of May and O'Halloran?

We seem to spend most of our time signing random youths from down south who never amount to anything and get released without much fanfare. Kyle McLean and Colin Hendrys son are the latest.

I often feel we sell ourselves short with the standard of player we could actually attract tbh, signing these youngsters and the like of Coulson is below what we should be, while Scougall is exactly the type of player we could, and obviously can, sign. I think it's too ingrained in the mindset of the board and manager that we can't spend money on someone who isn't almost guaranteed to be a success, so we spend the money on a lot of cheap gambles instead. Can understand it since we don't have much, but it can be frustrating all the same.

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Perhaps, but I highly doubt the Weirs would do that because the last time we spent money we didn't have we nearly did a Rangers.

45 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

The Weir's input though means you can have a bigger than normal first team budget as you're not directing funds into the areas they're covering.

It's an observation, not a criticism. As others have mentioned it's good to see wealthy fans not following the usual route of splashing the cash on names and taking a more measured approach. The more money sensibly injected into we diddies the better.

We basically have the budget we should have now as the bank debt has been paid off. We're all wee diddies, we are just becoming self sufficient diddies :P

Of course let's not forget the generosity of Bruce McDiarmid here, and I know certain posters on here like to play it down, but he effectively did for St Johnstone what the Weir's are doing for Thistle. His donations allowed SJ to develop an infrastructure that has meant SJ have also been able to divert funds that might have had to be set aside to maintain an old stadium, to rebuild stands to comply with the Taylor Report or to build a training area.

It's not a criticism, just an observation.

4 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Of course let's not forget the generosity of Bruce McDiarmid here, and I know certain posters on here like to play it down, but he effectively did for St Johnstone what the Weir's are doing for Thistle. His donations allowed SJ to develop an infrastructure that has meant SJ have also been able to divert funds that might have had to be set aside to maintain an old stadium, to rebuild stands to comply with the Taylor Report or to build a training area.

Record.....broken. Move on Spud.

10 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

True.

Similarly, lets not forget the generosity of the banks and various local businesses here. They allowed Dundee to build a team of stars and international players, and build two new stands, yet got nothing in return when Dundee declared themselves bust.  They effectively did for Dundee what the Weirs are doing for Thistle.  And then they did it all again!

Its not a criticism, etc etc

:D