Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 hours ago, Saint Stevo said:

We were decent for the first 35mins or so. Losing the soft pen hurt us no doubt. From that we never recovered, which is really disappointing. 2nd half was more of the long punt and chase. When we tried to play thru midfield in 1st half we looked much better.

That would be the worrying thing if i was in your boat. First half you competed fine, got some decent shots off, got ahead and then got unlucky with a decision. As soon as we go ahead in the second half you could almost see your players thinking 'oh well, that's us lost then', the body language completely changed. It's 11 against 11, you have about 45 minutes left and you really need to get something from this game, what you going to do? Sportscene showed your best two chances, one was the high wide and not so handsome from Hendry and the other was a mistimed header well over from Bair. I don't think Alnwick's made a save after we took the lead.

I've seen that kind of attitude from teams before, it tends to end in relegation. 

If Cifti is back next Wed a front pairing of him and Hendry feels like a glimmer of hope. I'd like to see May in Crawford's role - but have to accept that as long as someone as cautious as Davidson is in charge, that's not going to happen. But if that's too much to ask, I'd accept anyone – with the exception of Crawford – in Crawford's role.

Struggling with a bit of cognitive dissonance: is Callum Davidson the best manager in our history and at the same time one of the worst? 

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Would we be in this situation if Rooney/Bryson/Wotherspoon had stayed fit? Quite possibly not.

Going by early season performances and results when Rooney/Wotherspoon/McCann/Kerr were available, quite possibly.

This is a coaching/club problem. Understandable hubris given that the press were lauding Davidson last summer for his system and for turning ordinary players into an effective team. Why would you tinker with that if you believe it's the system that's making the difference? A club problem in the sense that Saints have gone ten years benefitting from low turnover of players. It was another reason cited for our success; a tight-knit dressing room that was lauded everywhere. Why would you change it?

Of course, these things unravel. When you've built the team on a system that no longer works, what happens? Davidson's answer has been to persevere with the system (after all that perseverance paid off last year), and try new players. Clearly not working, and sadly not likely to.

Edited by Mr Heliums

13 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

If Cifti is back next Wed a front pairing of him and Hendry feels like a glimmer of hope. I'd like to see May in Crawford's role - but have to accept that as long as someone as cautious as Davidson is in charge, that's not going to happen. But if that's too much to ask, I'd accept anyone – with the exception of Crawford – in Crawford's role.

I absolutely agree that this is worth a try.

Clark

Cleary Gordon McCart

Sang Butterfield Hallberg Booth

May

Hendry Ciftci

May when he plays up top has a tendency to drop in deep and out wide to pick up the ball - which is an issue when he plays as a striker because he just ends up miles away from the goal when the ball finally works its way forward. Take that responsibility off of him and let him do what seem to come naturally to him these days. I can't see play breaking down as much with him in there as it does with Crawford, and he won't be a total shitebag about it.

Aye, to Stevie May’s credit he very rarely loses the ball when he’s got it and usually finds a man when he passes. Unlike Crawford, who you know will simply surrender possession meekly each time. I’d give him a go there, can’t ever fault his work ethic and application. 

Aye, to Stevie May’s credit he very rarely loses the ball when he’s got it and usually finds a man when he passes. Unlike Crawford, who you know will simply surrender possession meekly each time. I’d give him a go there, can’t ever fault his work ethic and application. 

Crawford had the chance to go 1 on 1 on Boxing Day with Barkas if he ran for a through ball May played to him. Instead he stood like a buffoon waiting on it being played to him. That there was the moment I decided he could f**k right off.

4 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

One of the small, but not insignificant, consolations of our impending doom is the number of fans of unsuccessful diddy clubs that we have rattled and leave in our wake…

Still hurting ??

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

Congratulations on winning the Covid cups. What were your seat numbers at those two games, please?

Schrödinger's double. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Certainly looks like it Paulo 3D1B1EDF-FD85-4B60-9033-9CF1810EF4EC.png.a7f2ddd683d3e38b7adc49b0c86adbdc.png

I won the treble with Hibs on FIFA 11 back in the day. Akpo Sodje was the league's top scorer.

However, since nobody was there to see it, I don't count it towards Hibs' trophy tally. See what I'm getting at here?

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Honestly, relegation feels worth it for how much last season seems to have broken St Mirren and Hibs fans.

Just delicious.

Really? Can’t wait for the sparkling debates next season involving yourself and virginton, as well as that roaster from Hamilton in the Championship forum, Random

2 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Really? 

Yeah.

Relegation happens to us all, but at least we've absolutely fucking rattled multiple fanbases to their core, while winning more trophies than them all, on our way back to the second tier. Small consolation but it'll keep warm during our matches with Cove next season.

40 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I won the treble with Hibs on FIFA 11 back in the day. Akpo Sodje was the league's top scorer.

However, since nobody was there to see it, I don't count it towards Hibs' trophy tally. See what I'm getting at here?

Bollocks. The League Cup isn’t on FIFA. 

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

Congratulations on winning the Covid cups. What were your seat numbers at those two games, please?

Schrödinger's double. :lol:

Probably the greatest achievement by any club in the history of Scottish football, and Hibs got to play their part by being bitch slapped out of both competitions by the history making double cup winners.  

You need to stop being bitter and instead feel pride in the fact that of your club’s many failures over this century, last season’s cup defeats were a significant part of Scottish football history. 😀

2 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I absolutely agree that this is worth a try.

Clark

Cleary Gordon McCart

Sang Butterfield Hallberg Booth

May

Hendry Ciftci

May when he plays up top has a tendency to drop in deep and out wide to pick up the ball - which is an issue when he plays as a striker because he just ends up miles away from the goal when the ball finally works its way forward. Take that responsibility off of him and let him do what seem to come naturally to him these days. I can't see play breaking down as much with him in there as it does with Crawford, and he won't be a total shitebag about it.

Can I just ask where Bair would fit in? From the outside he seemed to be your marquee signing in January. Didn’t look great last night but too harsh to judge anyone for you after that triple sub last night.