Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, Widge said:

It’s almost like he doesn’t want to upset anyone in the game, whether that be other managers, players, referees, etc. For all Tommy Wright moaned too much, Davidson is far too passive at all times and it’s pretty annoying that he’s not even willing to stand up for the team when it matters. Like he should of been condemning Penrice’s tackle, it was an absolute shocker and could of broken Cleary’s leg quite easily. 

I don't think Tommy moaned too much.  Nothing wrong with sticking up for your players and the club.

5 hours ago, double deluxe said:

Unfortunate that Gallacher came off worse but there was nothing wrong with Devlin’s challenge IMO.

This, if anything Tony shat it.

24 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

No chance he gets a big move - that ship has sailed.

Oh well, the sack it is then.

6 hours ago, Widge said:

It’s almost like he doesn’t want to upset anyone in the game, whether that be other managers, players, referees, etc. For all Tommy Wright moaned too much, Davidson is far too passive at all times and it’s pretty annoying that he’s not even willing to stand up for the team when it matters. Like he should of been condemning Penrice’s tackle, it was an absolute shocker and could of broken Cleary’s leg quite easily. 

I felt he was surprisingly fiery last season, at least compared to my expectation. I think this season has knocked his confidence to bits.

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

How do folk feel about the potential of relegation?

If it happens then it'll be the third time I've seen it. 

This will be the most disappointing for me though as it seems like so much of the likely cause has been ridiculously self inflicted.

2nd time I’ll have seen it since I started following football seriously.

As with the first, will be frustrated because it feels self inflicted. But will get past it by the time of next season.

I settled with the prospect of it months ago. I'll be disappointed but only for a short while. 

Already considered the prospect of different away days and the added bonus of no visits from either of the filthy bigots with their awful (far too local) fans spewing their filth. An instant clean up if you will. 

I worry about retaining some of the players and that we'll struggle to attract any quality that'll hasten the push towards promotion quickly. 

All that said, I'm less inclined to think we'll go down now. We're in better shape now (IMO) than we were in January if only by a little. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

The potential of relegation? It gives great potential, mainly to get rid of playing and coaching staff.

That said, there's also the potential of losing players that you would ideally want to keep. Then there's the monetary aspect... devastating.

I'd ideally like us to finish 10th, we all have a laugh about it then punt this coaching  regime as far into orbit as we can, then get back to qualifying for Europe next season. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I'd say it's expectation for me rather then potential. 

As folk are saying it's the way of it happening more than anything else. Simply should not have been in this position. I don't think there's many fans thinking it's the end of the world and can't bring myself to get into much of a rage about it. 

But yeah, upsides and downsides.

I don’t expect us to get relegated. In terms of Davidson and his management team, it would be unforgivable if we go down. We should be able to win the play-off and I’ve seen nothing to suggest that we won’t. Having said that, even a narrow 10th-place escape wouldn’t be anywhere near good enough and questions must be asked regardless.

42 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The potential of relegation? It gives great potential, mainly to get rid of playing and coaching staff.

That said, there's also the potential of losing players that you would ideally want to keep. Then there's the monetary aspect... devastating.

I'd ideally like us to finish 10th, we all have a laugh about it then punt this coaching  regime as far into orbit as we can, then get back to qualifying for Europe next season. 

Good points there. I’m kind of on the same train of thought. However given what Callum and the staff achieved last season and what great servants they’ve been for the club, I can’t help but feel weird and not comfortable with saying they  should go. 

How do you feel about that Tam? Do you feel like the cup wins will be kind of soured if we end up parting ways with these people?

We’ve probably been spoiled in recent times and haven’t been in a position where folk want the manager out for a long time. That’s probably why I feel weird about it.

Interesting reading the thoughts above, which sometimes you need to do before you can affirm your own views. 

I think the reason relegation doesn't bother me is the cycle I feel we are in danger of becoming stuck in if we scrape survival. 

I'm probably certain the manager will still be here next season if we survive but that fills me with little enthusiasm. If he remains after relegation, I'd hope there is more chance he'll try to reinvent the squad. It probably won't work but at least it's not just going with the same players again, hoping we'll suddenly start being able to score goals playing largely the same way. 

The financial implications are obviously the worry. Far, far more so than the football side of things.

Relegation would’ve sat better with me any other season, but it shouldn’t have been allowed to happen this season. That said, the anger I felt in January has dissipated somewhat, whether that be through acceptance or that there actually seems to be some form of fight amongst the team, I’m not sure. 

The thought of securing survival, should we do so, on a warm Monday evening in May is quite appealing - although I’d prefer it didn’t get that far 

If we do get relegated it will be nothing other than self inflicted, which in some ways is harder to take because we had great opportunities to strengthen in the summer and didn't vs a bitter relegation like Hearts had a few years back that galvanised the following season.

IF we go down (and I actually don't think we will), then I'm not convinced we come right back up with these players and coaches.

Get to the summer, stay up and then some difficult conversations need to be had. IF we persist with Davidson, the backroom staff needs changing and we need to be ruthless and clear out some long serving stale players. Otherwise, we will be back here in 10 months.

IF we do go down, we cannot be loyal to some of the players.

Changing topic, Davidson praising Ciftci after the weekend both baffles and concerns me. He worked much harder than he has been, but in reality contributed very little if that is passable by Davidson, then the bar is way way to low.

Only thing I can think is that he’s not wanting to destroy confidence that may already be low.

He was more lively than the well game but still not enough.