Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

13 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

To wade into the Scougall chat, just because everyone else has, I'd argue Swanson was given much more freedom to express himself than Scougall has been allowed. Swanson spend a lot of time more or less in a free role in a 4-4-1-1 where Scougall has spent most the season as a traditional wide midfielder with much more defensive responsibilities.

That's fair and it's a bit chicken and egg. Swanson got that freedom because he delivered so much. Scougall hasn't shown as much so isn't given the the same license but maybe if he was...

25 minutes ago, Radford said:

The chairman said recently it was 30% to 40% higher! But I think it was at its lowest point back then, it had certainly dropped from the end of the McInnes reign. Are players getting more or is it just bigger though? I guess that is important when assessing it.

Yes it might well be we have to pay more to stay still.

I definitely think we benefitted from having a settled group of talented very good professionals when Tommy took over. Add in Stevie Mays goals and it was a dream combination. 

We've never fully replaced May- probably unlikely with our budget- but we adapted by becoming solid and hard to score against. Unfortunately,that element has now deserted us as well. In fairness to Tommy, he has lost our main attacking threat to higher wages constantly in his 4.5 years:  May, O'Halloran, Swanson (twice) and even Brian Graham who was up there as our joint top scorer. The only one who has stuck with us has been Macca, who seems to be getting slaughtered by Saints fans online these days.  But equally you could argue a fair few strikers signed weren't up to it.

I still think we'll turn it round. And well, f**k it, it'll be a wee change from the monotony of top six!

I’m going to offer an entirely pointless sitting on the fence opinion here. I really like Scougall and said it after the capitulation at Pitoddrie that he’s probably too good for some around him. Seeing passes others aren’t expecting which often makes him look poor when in reality I think his vision is outstanding. That said he hasn’t contributed nearly enough in assists or goals so can fully see Radfords point of view on it

Been reading the comments about Scougall with interest as we were one of the other clubs who were supposedly in for him. I'm guessing that Tanner was one of our alternative options. He's been effective for us in fits in starts with 7 goals so far.

Seems really weird to me that TW would go to the effort (and expense) of selling Saints to Scougall and recruiting him then spend the season seemingly wilfully playing him out of position. As an aside, any word on his injury last night? He took a hefty dunt off Main.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

TW mentioned there was the potential for a free transfer coming in after the window closed. 

I presume thats just not on the radar anymore? We obviously didn't persue our interest in Franks as he signed elsewhere.

Unless we pick up an injury or we're in a blind panic, I'd assume we're probably not bringing anyone in now. I'd quite like us to sign another wide player still.

18 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

TW mentioned there was the potential for a free transfer coming in after the window closed. 

I presume thats just not on the radar anymore? We obviously didn't persue our interest in Franks as he signed elsewhere.

We wanted to extend Franks trial so it was him, nobody else on the radar

15 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Not that you would actually know that of course

It was mentioned when he signed down south that we'd asked to extend his trial. I'm sure I seen one of our journalist friends say there was nothing expected in terms of free agents. 

Robert Thomson said there was 'every chance' we'd be bringing in a free agent. The fact Tommy has gone quiet on that though suggests that's probably not happening.

If the free agent was going to be Franks, then I'm ok with us just going with what we've got. He's one that would probably play a few games to begin with, drop to the bench and then disappear from the squad all together before the end of the season.

I’ve been thinking and we’re clearly not getting Europe this year, which is sad, cause it’s great fun. In fact I doubt we’ll make Europe for a good while again.

However on the flip side, if we do survive this season, emphasis on the if. The extended summer break will do saints the world of good. It’ll allow players to actually have more than a 2/3 week break which many of the current squad need. It’ll also mean that we’re not rushing into signings simply for the sake of bodies. Thinking back to this summer, we seemed to spend so long chasing Scougall we almost seemed to lose track we needed other players in. Now that may not be true, but a longer period to identify and trial and sign a squad to me seems like an advantage.

This is all hinging on what league we’re in right enough. I know people are hitting the panic button and it’s easy to see why, but the signs are there sporadically and a few wins will elevate us up the table and relative safety. Even better if we can pick up 4/5 points after the Celtic game.

Just now, The Real Saints said:

We are only 4 (or possibly 3) cup victories away from another European adventure. It's happening.

I'll not attend any of those matches in the hope that we manage that.

I've been to 18 games this season and seen us score 12 goals, 4 of those in the game against Motherwell at the start of the season. 8 goals in the other 17 games. Chronic.

In competitive matches I’m 19 games and 19 goals. Including the cup games and that 4-1 against Motherwell. It’s hardly like I’ve missed lots of goals either!

11 minutes ago, Kyle said:
3 minutes ago, Widge said:

In competitive matches I’m 19 games and 19 goals. Including the cup games and that 4-1 against Motherwell. It’s hardly like I’ve missed lots of goals either!

I've been to 18 games this season and seen us score 12 goals, 4 of those in the game against Motherwell at the start of the season. 8 goals in the other 17 games. Chronic.

Aye but you got to see Liam Gordon strut his stuff.  Be thankful you pair of c***s. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was mentioned when he signed down south that we'd asked to extend his trial. I'm sure I seen one of our journalist friends say there was nothing expected in terms of free agents. 

There is quite a difference between your first statement "Nobody else on the radar" and your second "I'm sure I seen(sic) one of our journalist friends say there was nothing expected in terms of free agents".