Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That’s all that’s shown on camera. McCann’s ban is a joke as well. 

It was handbags between the pair of them but I think "putting his hand on his shoulder" is understating it slightly. 

TW in the papers today saying we're working towards hiring a "Head of Recruitment" who'd be based down South, to help open up that market to us. Confirms that just now it's purely contacts that alerts us to players. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

TW in the papers today saying we're working towards hiring a "Head of Recruitment" who'd be based down South, to help open up that market to us. Confirms that just now it's purely contacts that alerts us to players. 

He talks a lot about emulating Motherwell with the head of recruitment role  in the Courier. Do other clubs – Hamilton, Ross County and the like – have similar setups?

Saints did the same 20 years ago.

"Off the park, Saints have appointed Donald Mackay to the newly-created post of Chief Scout. The ex-Dundee and Blackburn manager, will be first expected to help the management identify the 3 players which Geoff Brown believes the club needs to strengthen the squad for next season. He was previously one of the scouts at Arsenal reporting to Arsene Wenger so the move has to be seen as an ambitious one by Saints."

Hopefully it's not Barry Hunter.

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

Hopefully it's not Barry Hunter.

Wouldn't surprise me if I'm honest.

Although it's proved half decent for Motherwell, do we REALLY need this?

There are a lot of other changes I'd make at McDiarmid before this move tbh. But if we get 1 or 2 players we can sell on it could be worth it, it's a big gamble though.

I've said before but the recruitment issue is the nature of it, rather than the players a lot of the time. Although maybe the manager sees this remedying that. His scouted, permanent signings usually make a contribution, it's the short-term or loan signings that come in and don't offer much.

How long has he been saying he needs to add quality for? In the past year, only Scougall and McMillan have been long-term signings from a dozen arrivals. Maybe the manager will point the finger at the chairman for that but it doesn't matter who this scout identifies if Steve Brown won't sanction moves for them. Would he have paid "an undisclosed fee" for Louis Moult from Wrexham?

28 minutes ago, Radford said:

Maybe the manager will point the finger at the chairman for that but it doesn't matter who this scout identifies if Steve Brown won't sanction moves for them. Would he have paid "an undisclosed fee" for Louis Moult from Wrexham?

This. It's all risks, the payment of the scout, the payment for players, the 2 year contracts for said players etc . Are they risks young Broon will take? I have my doubts.

It will however give either TW or SB a stick to hit the other with whichever way it goes. Happy times.

Can’t blame Mckenzie. He’s being coached by the best manager in the league right now and he’s got the security of a long term deal at a club he knows. Seems we had a window of opportunity in January and let it slide which I’m sure will be another stick wright will use to beat the chairman with. 

2 hours ago, Radford said:

I've said before but the recruitment issue is the nature of it, rather than the players a lot of the time. Although maybe the manager sees this remedying that. His scouted, permanent signings usually make a contribution, it's the short-term or loan signings that come in and don't offer much.

How long has he been saying he needs to add quality for? In the past year, only Scougall and McMillan have been long-term signings from a dozen arrivals. Maybe the manager will point the finger at the chairman for that but it doesn't matter who this scout identifies if Steve Brown won't sanction moves for them. Would he have paid "an undisclosed fee" for Louis Moult from Wrexham?

100%. That pretty much nails it.

The reason that Motherwell's model has been relatively successful (and I stress relatively, if you look at the number of players we've signed since we first employed a Head of Recruitment you'll see plenty of duds there. I just listed them in a lengthy post on our thread) is because there's been a buy in to "the strategy" from top to bottom. It's not simply been a case of the Head of Recruitment rocking up and identifying "gems" it's something that's required engagement from board level down.

It's needed the Chairman, Chief Operating Officer and crucially the manager and players to all be on the same page as to aims. The difference between Motherwell's recruitment with Robinson in charge as opposed to say, Baraclough and McGhee is noticeable. We've had the same HoR in place with all 3 managers however the hit rate with Robinson has been far better IMO.

For me that's as much as result Robinson being far more engaged and having a clear idea of what he needs from players and a far greater awareness of who's available than it us having a Head of Recruitment in place. I've said it before but it seemed to me that McGhee got lazy with us and the difference with Robinson is that he's far more involved alongside Alan Burrows and Martin Foyle. 

I don't know much about TW and whether he's the sort of guy who'd be inclined to simply delegate recruitment?

The relative success has also required investment. Moult's the obvious one but we've also paid fees for: Marvin Johnson, Elliot Frear, Ryan Bowman and Trevor Carson. Not massive fees but Moult and Johnson were rumoured to have cost £30k-£40k each, Carson cost £10k. We've generated close to £2m in "player trading" over the past couple of seasons however that return required the initial investment from the club.

Edit to add: it's worth pointing out that we were apparently one of the other clubs who were interested in Scougall last summer before he signed with Saints, though by all accounts your lot had done plenty of groundwork on that one.

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

He talks a lot about emulating Motherwell with the head of recruitment role  in the Courier. Do other clubs – Hamilton, Ross County and the like – have similar setups?

I'm not sure whether this is out of date or not but Thistle had/have Gary Owers in a similar role.

Gary works as Head English based Scout for Scottish Premiership team Partick Thistle, setting assignments for their network of 4 scouts watching games in the English lower leagues. Thistle have signed Adam Barton from Portsmouth, the 1st transfer fee paid by Thistle in many years, & Ade Azeez from AFC Wimbledon on the back of this scouting network.

FWIW: Owers was at Motherwell in the same position in 14/15 but he only lasted about 3 months. It was through him that we brought in Johnson and Moult though.

There are actually some quotes from Alan Burrows as to the role itself:

General Manager Alan Burrows said: “The trading of players is absolutely key to our strategy.

“To do that, we must have more eyes and ears on the ground, but also a formal structure of how every player we watch is reported on, monitored and then recommended. Our new partnership with Scout7 will certainly be crucial for us in that regard.

“We are delighted to have someone of Gary’s experience and contacts on board, I think he will really add something to the club and is already coordinating a team of very experienced scouts.

“We now have significant coverage across the United Kingdom and Ireland. We had nothing like it even a few months ago.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/03/09/gary-owers-is-head-of-recruitment/

Saints to appoint a Head of Recruitment for English League One and Two.

Ex-League One reject Scott Tanser speaks glowingly of what  a great club St Johnstone is and how they've made him a better player.

That's too structured. There must be a new media person in post.