Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Saints to appoint a Head of Recruitment for English League One and Two.

Ex-League One reject Scott Tanser speaks glowingly of what  a great club St Johnstone is and how they've made him a better player.

That's too structured. There must be a new media person in post.

Yep I thought that felt staged too. I’m guessing the club are further on with this than they’re currently letting on. 

Tanser describes playing for Saints as a ‘delight’ in this mornings papers and contract talks have started with him. Suspect he’ll be among the first renewals announced. 

Things have turned around significantly for McKenzie is recent months, so his decision seems both sensible and no great surprise. We should probably be grateful he hadn't signed the pre-contract or we could have ended up jilted at the altar again.

I know it all looks a little staged, but even in his initial interviews Tanser did say how happy he was to be in a top division and saw it as a step etc, I really like him and hope he goes on to sign a new contract. If we persist with the 3 at the back , it could work nicely with brian easton as the left centre back, joe in the middle and kerr on the right. anything to put an end to ando thinking he can play a quarter back role, and a weird insistence on using his left foot even when under no pressure and plenty of time to take a touch onto his right. 

Was quick to criticise TW on Saturday for the no show of Williams but given he was in hospital with his wife while she gave birth, I can probably forgive Tommy. Hopefully we see him back for the Motherwell game as he’s looked positive in the few occasions he’s got going.

6 hours ago, The Woolshed said:

Was quick to criticise TW on Saturday for the no show of Williams but given he was in hospital with his wife while she gave birth, I can probably forgive Tommy. Hopefully we see him back for the Motherwell game as he’s looked positive in the few occasions he’s got going.

What a strange reason to treat as a state secret. 

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

What a strange reason to treat as a state secret. 

tbf its not unknown for people to not want it publicly known they're in labour until after the birth 

That’s Alston out for the season too. Our luck with injuries this year has been unreal.  

I don’t think you can understate how big an impact injuries have had for us. Listening to The Terrace today and they were talking about Saints regularly chopping and changing starting XI-it’s little surprise when you see the players we’ve been missing for lengthy spells. You could (goalkeepers aside who’ve thankfully remained fit so far) make a decent starting side from players who have missed significant spells:

Comrie
Foster
Easton
Alston
Millar (as well as whatever’s gone on behind the scenes part of his lack of games this year has been down to injury)
Davidson (not in one long stretch but he’s missed between 6 and 8 games this year through injury)
Scougall
McMillan
Hendry

Just missing a centre back and a keeper there and you’d have a more than acceptable starting XI. These are all players who have missed several games - some several months at a time. It’s had a destabilising effect for sure.

I think Stafford mentioned it before but you look at the likes of Motherwell bringing Curtis Main in and him going straight out scoring goals. We bring in McMillan and he plays 15 minutes (looking lively and winning a penalty) before being stretchered off and missing the rest of the season. It doesn’t help for sure.

43 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Just missing a centre back and a keeper there and you’d have a more than acceptable starting XI. These are all players who have missed several games - some several months at a time. It’s had a destabilising effect for sure.

You have a point, but at the same time we could draw up an recognisable first XI that has remained almost injury-free (even excluding Millar and Davidson who have suffered little more than niggles injuries – Davidson's probably missed more matches through suspension).

Mannus, Shaughnessy, Anderson, Tanser, Kerr or Gordon, Maclean, Wotherspoon,  Willock, Craig, Johnstone, MacLean or Kane

What is interesting is that those you'd think might be susceptible to injury – older players such as Anderson and particularly MacLean – have remained almost untouched by injury, while it's the younger ones who've been absent.

Either way, I can see Tommy seeing this as justifying the size of his first-team squad.

I certainly think the chopping and changing has been driven more by results than by injury

Edited by Mr Heliums

Both Tanser and Craig have missed 5/6 matches injured as well though. So in reality the number of injured days this season would be stupidly high. I think you’ve also got to take not tat in Mr Helium’s team above, 3 of those players only appeared again in January. Taking out the goalkeepers the only players we’ve had available and fit all season as Shaughnessy, Anderson and MacLean. The rest have all been either injured, suspended or missing.

9 hours ago, Widge said:

Both Tanser and Craig have missed 5/6 matches injured as well though. So in reality the number of injured days this season would be stupidly high. I think you’ve also got to take not tat in Mr Helium’s team above, 3 of those players only appeared again in January. Taking out the goalkeepers the only players we’ve had available and fit all season as Shaughnessy, Anderson and MacLean. The rest have all been either injured, suspended or missing.

For balance, if we're saying that three of the players only appeared after January, remember we let go a fully-fit Cummins and Paton at Christmas, and the bigger point I suppose I was trying to raise is whether we that much worse off than other teams?  Hearts have certainly struggled and I know much of Celtic's squad seems to have been injured at some point or other. Of course, they have depth, but with nearly 30 in our first team squad I don't think we've been near throwing in untested youngsters at any point.

While I agree we've rarely been able to pick our ideal top team, neither should our injury concerns become the narrative that excuses a poor season. It's telling that the three players you mention as 'available and fit all season' have arguably been the most disappointing, given their past standard.

Edited by Mr Heliums

TW saying we'll give young players a game in the remaining game, not overly sure who he means. Comrie, Gordon and McLean all need a run to see how useful they'll be next year, though