• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Believe it or not this is a thing.  There is some disease that is killing the world's wasps or maybe bees and everywhere has it except Australia.  I met a guy from Australia that breeds them to sell to Europe as all ours are dying, you find single dead ones on the golf course all the time.

Well I for one am convinced.

A couple of summers ago I kept being woken up my a single wasp.  I would dispatch it but the next morning the very same thing would happen.  Not the best start to the day.  I had no idea where they were coming from because I don't leave the windows open at night.  I started getting super paranoid and taped up all the air vents but, every morning a single wasp making that horrible, harsh noise as it flew around my head.

Then the next time I changed my pillow slip I picked up the pillow and ...... a freakin' huge wasps nest RIGHT UNDER MY HEAD!*

No, not really, they were coming from a very small hole in the ceiling from a rewiring job.  Obviously there must have been a nest in the loft.

* The pillow thing is partially true, for a few nights in a row I heard scratching at night, but only at night when I was in bed.  I thought it was mice and put down traps.  Nothing was caught but I could still hear the scratching.  I then either changed or turned my pillow over and underneath it was a giant furry moth!

Moreover, changes in habitats have resulted in a vast increase in wax moths attacking wasps nest for their paper at night time - the time when wasps are completely helpless (they have zero night vision). For the Saxon wasps who like making their nests in bushes it's not been so bad, but for the common wasp that likes making nests in corners of buildings or under eves, they have proven a very easy target.

'Mon the moths!

Wife and I went to our local branch of Denny's once, only to find the car park full of wasps, and a huge nest hanging down from the eaves above the door. The restaurant was still open, and they'd put a sign up saying "BE CAREFUL - WASPS", which was nice of them. Naturally, we went in - their pancakes are excellent.

Made me wonder, though - how long does it take the wee buggers to make a nest? Denny's are open 24 hours, and it was right above the door, so how did the nest get that far without someone noticing?   :blink:

Wife and I went to our local branch of Denny's once, only to find the car park full of wasps, and a huge nest hanging down from the eaves above the door. The restaurant was still open, and they'd put a sign up saying "BE CAREFUL - WASPS", which was nice of them. Naturally, we went in - their pancakes are excellent.

Made me wonder, though - how long does it take the wee buggers to make a nest? Denny's are open 24 hours, and it was right above the door, so how did the nest get that far without someone noticing?   :blink:

Why didn't you get the All Day Power Breakfast?

Why didn't you get the All Day Power Breakfast?

That was over the road at Benny's, IIRC.

And they were overrun by giant scorpions.

You should have given the wasps the grand slam.

Made me wonder, though - how long does it take the wee buggers to make a nest? Denny's are open 24 hours, and it was right above the door, so how did the nest get that far without someone noticing? :blink:

If suggest the reason for that is that it didn't happen, as you clearly made the whole thing up.

Believe it or not this is a thing.  There is some disease that is killing the world's wasps or maybe bees and everywhere has it except Australia.  I met a guy from Australia that breeds them to sell to Europe as all ours are dying, you find single dead ones on the golf course all the time.

It would be bees that are being exported as there have definitely some been exported to Canada. Aussie bees are supposedly free from most bee diseases. European wasps are a fairly new pest here as 20-25 years ago they were never sighted in most parts. Most councils have schemes to obliterate the fuckers.

It would be bees that are being exported as there have definitely some been exported to Canada. Aussie bees are supposedly free from most bee diseases. European wasps are a fairly new pest here as 20-25 years ago they were never sighted in most parts. Most councils have schemes to obliterate the fuckers.

So if we vote to leave the EU, will that get rid of the European wasps & we'll be back to just our own good ol British wasps?

Seems reasonable.

Grimbo

Archived