Group D. Alloa, Cove, Montrose, Raith & County

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The worst thing about Montrose's goal was big Bolo had precisely the same chance in the first half.

Feel a bit sorry for Montrose with such a soft looking penalty but we did deserve the win. Lucky to get it though - goal wasn't coming otherwise.

As it was Colin Steven who was ref all the Montrose players need do to be sent off is breath in.   He would then give a red card for them having the temerity to have breathed in within his air space.

Montrose created nothing apart from the goal. Surely there must be a young striker at Montrose that can play ahead of that waste of a shirt Templeman. If he wasn't the size of a lamppost would he still be in football ? Tonight game irrespective of result is far better than pre-season friendlies.

After 3 years of relentless Championship struggles it was a refreshing change to watch a comprehensive win for Alloa.

A low turnout at the Recs, though hardly surprising with the dreadful £16 entry fee. Cove were a poor side it has to be said, and I thought 4-0 was a bit of a let-off for them. Plenty of good individual performances from Alloa and we played some nice stuff. I'm quite liking this group format for now.

Montrose created nothing apart from the goal. Surely there must be a young striker at Montrose that can play ahead of that waste of a shirt Templeman. If he wasn't the size of a lamppost would he still be in football ? Tonight game irrespective of result is far better than pre-season friendlies.

The only other strikers we have are Declan Milne, who is only young but is possibly the worst player I have ever seen in senior football, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I feel I could do a better job than him, and Kyle McLeod, who I am a big fan of, but he's about 5'6" and isn't going to do a job with Fraser up top.

Montose huffed and puffed last night making no real clear cut chances.Better like second half from montrose,never a penalty in my opinion but will just have to take in.Thought the back four looked quite solid Andy steeves motm for me.

Alloa started their campaign with a fine 4-0 win against Cove. Only one winner once Greig Spence nodded home the first. Totally dominated the second half, could have been more. 

It's nice to get 3 points on the board and a decent goal haul as well.

No complaints about the result but the way it ended was not good. Rovers had the lions share of the play and should have scored more but will have to improve their finishing to make an impact again this season. Montrose's problem area is up top where a lack of goals will cost us if we don't sort it out. As it was, playing a higher division full time team away from home on a Tuesday night was a big ask for part time players so The Mo had to play to their strengths which meant very much a rear guard action with the hope of getting a goal on the break - and it nearly worked until Ref Steven had other ideas. Mo players don't often complain like that and to have at least two yellow carded and one sent off in addition to the penalty put a dampner on a game which was competitive but not particularly ill tempered. 

The upside for Montrose will be that Templeman has to miss a game or two so we have to do something about the striking options as playing Fraser up top on his own is not a viable option. If the Spanish lad's clearance paperwork comes through Ok he would be an option in the remaining League Cup games whilst Heggy ponders other options.

11 hours ago, Sixtyten said:

A low turnout at the Recs, though hardly surprising with the dreadful £16 entry fee.

£16 to see a League 1 side against a Highland League team?  Bloody hell.  That's more expensive than it is to get in at Ross County this weekend to see Premiership vs Championship.  (£15, since you ask).

Did Mulraney think Alloa fans would be prepared to pay a premium for a rare victory, or is he just taking the piss?

1 hour ago, Forfinn said:

£16 to see a League 1 side against a Highland League team?  Bloody hell.  That's more expensive than it is to get in at Ross County this weekend to see Premiership vs Championship.  (£15, since you ask).

Did Mulraney think Alloa fans would be prepared to pay a premium for a rare victory, or is he just taking the piss?

It has been the clubs policy in the past 2-3 seasons to charge full fare for all national cup games- unless its Rangers or Hibs then we get charged another £2 on top.

It was a shame that many felt (understandably) priced out last night, since the sun was out and we played really well. Had admission been lowered we could quite possibly have attracted some casual walk ups to attend more regularly.

Just watched the highlights on the rovers website.Thats the worst penalty decision I've seen in a long time.Credit to Raith where the better team by a country mile

Archived