Edinburgh City

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Were we?  How so?

was Maxwelltown considered part of Galloway before the towns officially merged?  

snape-indeed.gif

image.thumb.png.7cb74f23e4cd9c08ef9edce2c1c2fbed.png

Maxwelltown - Wikipedia

Maxwelltown (Scottish Gaelic: Ceann Drochaid, IPA:[ˈkʰʲaun̴̪ˈt̪ɾɔxətʲ]) was formerly a burgh of barony and police burgh and by the time of the burgh's abolition in 1929 it was the most populous burgh in the county of Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. In 1929 Maxwelltown was merged with the neighbouring burgh of Dumfries.[1][2]

Maxwelltown lies to the west of the River Nith, which forms the historic boundary between Kirkcudbrightshire and Dumfriesshire. Maxwelltown was a hamlet known as Bridgend up until 1810, in which year it was made into a burgh of barony under its present name, later becoming a police burgh in 1833. Maxwelltown comprises several suburbs, including Summerhill, Troqueer, Janefield, Lochside, Lincluden, Sandside, and Summerville. The burgh of Maxwelltown straddled the two parishes of Terregles and Troqueer. In a referendum in 1928 the residents of Maxwelltown voted to join the burgh of Dumfries.[3] The change took effect on 3 October 1929, and also had the effect of transferring Maxwelltown from Kirkcudbrightshire to Dumfriesshire.[4][5]

17 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

How so?

None of them are based in the Borders Region.

image.png.cc50398eae727cc326db8e920007793e.png

The Borders local authority area is not the same as the actual Borders region, in the same way the Highland is not the same as the actual Highlands. 

Scottish and English armies did not in fact spend 500 years without a map to work out that there was also western routes between the two warring states. 

5 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Historically in Kirkcudbrightshire until 1929

Interesting.

It turns out that when my house was built, it was in Kirkcudbrightshire.

I knew about the 1929 merger of the towns, but wasn't aware that it entailed a change of county.  You live and learn.

Just now, virginton said:

The Borders local authority area is not the same as the actual Borders region, in the same way the Highland is not the same as the actual Highlands. 

Doesn't change the fact that the 3 teams are in neither the Borders local authority nor the region.

As you infer though, there's no doubt that the area can be construed as being close to the actual border between the countries in general terms in the same way that Renfrewshire or say Fife for example clearly are not.

The point remains, the 3 teams are not currently in Galloway.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Interesting. It turns out that when my house was built, it was in Kirkcudbrightshire. I knew about the 1929 merger of the towns, but wasn't aware that it entailed a change of county.  You live and learn.

Can't be many clubs who have moved county without moving ground, but Queen's Park is another (Hampden was Renfrewshire: indeed briefly each end was in a different police constabulary).

35 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

The structure also includes a number of businesses (eg Dobbies) which are accessed from Raeburn Place which is behind the stand. 

I knew that shops were part of it, I didn't realise the way the pitch ran.

4 hours ago, Tenkay said:

I'm really surprised, and also concerned, about the betting odds for this game tomorrow vs Stirling 😲

For those that know these things, City have drifted out from 6/4 to 11/2 which seems very odd.

Stirling in from 6/4 to 1/2.

Makes me wonder what the bookies know about the starting team City will be able to field tomorrow? 🤔

Looks like Paddy Power aren't even offering odds on the match now.

12 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I knew that shops were part of it, I didn't realise the way the pitch ran.

Yeah, there’s a nice row of shops basically in front the stand. Not a rugby fan, but I think the pitch used to run north/south, now it’s east/west.

8 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Go to many, it can't be that posh @tamthebamlives there😀

He must be ‘new’ money 🤣

39 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Doesn't change the fact that the 3 teams are in neither the Borders local authority nor the region.

As you infer though, there's no doubt that the area can be construed as being close to the actual border between the countries in general terms in the same way that Renfrewshire or say Fife for example clearly are not.

The point remains, the 3 teams are not currently in Galloway.

They might not be in Galloway but at least two of the three are unquestionably in the Borders. Annan is within a comfortable half day's walk from England itself. The Borders' western component included Lochmaben and Dumfries as key strongholds.  Both of which being significantly closer to English territory than Peebles on the other side of the country.

You're only denying hundreds of years of your own region's objectively accurate history tbh. 

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

They might not be in Galloway but at least two of the three are unquestionably in the Borders. Annan is within a comfortable half day's walk from England itself. The Borders' western component included Lochmaben and Dumfries as key strongholds.  Both of which being significantly closer to English territory than Peebles on the other side of the country.

You're only denying hundreds of years of your own region's objectively accurate history tbh. 

This was originally a wee debate about whether the teams are in Galloway though.

If you read my post again I haven't suggested that the area is not close to the actual border demarcation line,  when geographically it clearly it is. I'm not one of those who get hung up about that sort of thing. We are Queen of the South after all, the clue is in the name. I'm not opposed to your view on this point.

PS - apologies to EC fans here for taking your thread off at a tangent when more serious issues are at stake.

10 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Is that possibly due to SPFL Rule E19? I can’t copy it but it looks like it says if a club commits a Remuneration Default it isn’t allowed to play any player who was SFA registered with them at the date of the default (other than U20s) unless they get consent from the SPFL Board. I’ve posted a link below.

SPFL Rules

I don't know the exact definition of 'Remuneration Default' but I don't think what has been laid out is what's happening tomorrow.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Well...

raith-rovers-fc-starks-park-old-main-sta

D1SR9uOXQAAXVoO?format=jpg&name=large

aberdeen-fc-pittodrie-main-stand-2-augus

Do quite like Starks but watching a match from that stand is one of the worst experiences I've ever had. An absolutely awful stand that was freezing cold. 

We lost a last minute goal from Raith's only shot on target which didn't help. 

4 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

If they are paying a % of his wage he might not be playing.

I suspect they aren’t paying diddly, we wanted him to get time and they understood we’d recall him if a keeper took a knock, as happened recently. We’ll see.

Still no official statement from the club... which after 3 days is quite poor. They should be making it as clear as the can now news is out.

Don't think anyone actually puts much blame for the scenario at the current regime... the previous regime alienated fans (revenue streams) with the ludicrously pointless name change, spent silly money boosting the squad and agreed to the Meadowbank return... which can barely be called a stadium. 

To undo all 3 of these poor decisions (name sorted, but still seems some bad feeling around that) might be too big an ask to save the club. Players can be sold/released and replaced with youths, frees and loans... but the "stadium"! And as pointed above, where is there to go that has or could get a licence? Myreside - would Watsonians want some rental income? It has floodlights... and believe pitch is enclosed by a fence. Mini Murrayfield? Either of the rugby grounds up Goldenacre way? Not sure their suitability. 

But for me, as a neutral, while I definitely don't want to see ECFC go to the wall, I have no intention of going to see them at that location.

16 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Still no official statement from the club... which after 3 days is quite poor. They should be making it as clear as the can now news is out.

Don't think anyone actually puts much blame for the scenario at the current regime... the previous regime alienated fans (revenue streams) with the ludicrously pointless name change, spent silly money boosting the squad and agreed to the Meadowbank return... which can barely be called a stadium. 

To undo all 3 of these poor decisions (name sorted, but still seems some bad feeling around that) might be too big an ask to save the club. Players can be sold/released and replaced with youths, frees and loans... but the "stadium"! And as pointed above, where is there to go that has or could get a licence? Myreside - would Watsonians want some rental income? It has floodlights... and believe pitch is enclosed by a fence. Mini Murrayfield? Either of the rugby grounds up Goldenacre way? Not sure their suitability. 

But for me, as a neutral, while I definitely don't want to see ECFC go to the wall, I have no intention of going to see them at that location.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment and I'm hoping we'll see a statement at some point relatively soon.

Whatever happens to the club and whatever level we end up at we need to find a way to give the club some real identity and deliver matchday experience that makes people want to come along.

11 hours ago, Artemis said:

The definition is in Rule E17. 
Fair enough if that isn’t what’s happening.

My reading of the rule is that's about signing new players, the and/or terminology is not always the clearest.

Professional players who are already registered can play (they can also refuse to play!)

Screenshot_20231209-100507.png