Edinburgh City

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Ah, Scottish football. As most clubs in the Scottish League and beyond know you're only ever one dodgy spiv away from bankruptcy so some haters on here shouldn't be so smug. 

heaveawa.jpg.d90ba4002b5a97f3232c8011035f2672.jpg

Heave awa chaps, we're no deid yet. 

I agree. Sometimes it feels like there's a competition going on, to see which spiv can build a more unsustainable club than Rupert Brookes did at Gretna.

2 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

I agree. Sometimes it feels like there's a competition going on, to see which spiv can build a more unsustainable club than Rupert Brookes did at Gretna.

The thing with the Gr*tna debacle was though - anyone with even the merest smattering of common sense could see that it was an unsustainable joke and a bubble that would rapidly inflate and burst spectacularly, but the blazers who run our game were happy to let it happen and pan out and of course our smug media thought it was all wonderful fun and couldn't get enough of it.  Should the game not have checks and balances/processes to prevent repetition of this sort of thing?

14 hours ago, Jute said:

Is ground sharing with Tynecastle at Meggetland not an option. Feel for guys who have supported the team from East of Scotland days. Previous ownership have a lot to answer for. 

14 hours ago, kevsmart said:

Not especially when you have Boroughmuir playing on the same park every other weekend or the same weekend, if Tynecastle have to play on the Friday evening

Plus there are actually 2 different rugby sides using it... Boroughmuir Bears in SRU Super 6 and old Boroughmuir RFC in Scottish National 3... with their own occasional Fri-Sat/Sat-Sun double-headers.

9 minutes ago, MAC THE KNIFE said:

IT CITY DO GO UNDER FINANCIALLY I BET THAT THE SFA/SFL DONT TREAT THEM THE SAME WAY AS A CERTAIN IBROX CLUB WERE. BET IF THEY REFORM THEY WILL B MADE TO PLAY IN THE LOWEST EoS FEEDER LEAGUE

What, put it to a members' vote which club is elected to be club 42?

Unlike in 2012 there is now a mechanism in place to determine that so it would not be the same situation.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What, put it to a members' vote which club is elected to be club 42?

Unlike in 2012 there is now a mechanism in place to determine that so it would not be the same situation.

More likely to be administration than liquidation so 15 points deduction or whatever it is and someone can buy themselves a SPFL Club for chickenfeed ! 🤔

10 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

More likely to be administration than liquidation so 15 points deduction or whatever it is and someone can buy themselves a SPFL Club for chickenfeed ! 🤔

Are Edinburgh City an attractive club for someone to buy, though?

I mean no offence by this as we are not that much different but they are a club with no stadium and a tiny fanbase.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Are Edinburgh City an attractive club for someone to buy, though?

I mean no offence by this as we are not that much different but they are a club with no stadium and a tiny fanbase.

But if your one of the pyramid new clubs who fancy jumping a few leagues and do a livi/airdrie with them it maybe tempting

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

But if your one of the pyramid new clubs who fancy jumping a few leagues and do a livi/airdrie with them it maybe tempting

Hadn't actually given this much consideration but I wonder if this is in fact the most likely scenario.

Before they got promoted Spartans tried to buy us/our place in the league so stands to reason another club will have the same idea.

Jeez.

Some mostly sensible comments and empathy from decent fans of other clubs here - thank you. 

If I were to trace the current situation back to a single decision it would be the previous board signing off the decision to move back to a Meadowbank that was still under construction.  Any ground where fans are sited behind a running track at ground level just isn't going to work. I think the fans knew that, but the anger was instead consumed by the change of name to FC Edinburgh in summer '22. 

But, we are where we are. It might be possible to avoid going into administration (with a points deduction), but I don't know if the full extent of the club's financial peril are even fully obvious to the current board. 

15 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Are there any rules to prevent a club being renamed and relocated immediately after being bought over?

There obviously were not when Airdrie United bought Clydebank (albeit they could not rename them Airdrieonians) but I dunno if rules have been put in place since.

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Are there any rules to prevent a club being renamed and relocated immediately after being bought over?

There obviously were not when Airdrie United bought Clydebank (albeit they could not rename them Airdrieonians) but I dunno if rules have been put in place since.

SFA & SPFL aren't obliged to let a club rename + relocate itself, 'merge' with another club, etc.

Even in 2002 it required SFL permission for Airdrie United to 'bodysnatch' Clydebank: BBC SPORT | Scotland | Airdrie United given green light

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

...I mean no offence by this as we are not that much different but they are a club with no stadium and a tiny fanbase.

All it takes is Seref Zengin deciding that trying to stay fulltime in League One wasn't such a good move after all and exiting stage right with control being hastily handed over to a fan group and half way through the following season...

On the sweepstakes of who is most likely to try and buy Edinburgh City's league place I'll go for East Kilbride. Hopefully it won't come to that though and there's a way to exit administration with Edinburgh City fans running things again.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

On the sweepstakes of who is most likely to try and buy Edinburgh City's league place I'll go for East Kilbride. Hopefully it won't come to that though and there's a way to exit administration with Edinburgh City fans running things again.

Taking @HibeeJibee's post above (and the mechanisms now in place to gain promotion to the SPFL) into consideration I'd like to think the SPFL / its member clubs would veto any attempt by an existing club to effectively buy another club's playing licence in a higher league.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

How many SPFL clubs actually make a profit? 

If you can't see a return on your money, then 'chickenfeed' may be the fair market price.