Edinburgh City

Maybe Ouzy has finally had enough and walked away just like everyone else?

Ground was empty yesterday 226 crowd and most of them seemed to be Kelty fans.

All the faces/fans you used to see follow us at Ainslie Park have stopped coming to Meadowbank.

Future doesn't look good worryingly or maybe they're just done for this season? 🤔 

Edited by Tenkay

1 hour ago, Tenkay said:

Ground was empty yesterday 226 crowd and most of them seemed to be Kelty fans.

All the faces/fans you used to see follow us at Ainslie Park have stopped coming to Meadowbank.

I know Edinburgh fans will be fed up answering this question, and I know that previously the answer was no, however with the financial pressures that have come out over the past month or two and with the current board now reviewing income streams closer, are there any plans to look at other local stadiums??

I’m not going to patronise your fans, you know the complaints, but if it’s putting people (like me) off coming, and there’s no scope to change what’s already in place, then surely the next best thing is to look at other options?? Surely there are better options out there for next season and moving forward?

29 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

are there any plans to look at other local stadiums??

if it’s putting people (like me) off coming, and there’s no scope to change what’s already in place, then surely the next best thing is to look at other options?? Surely there are better options out there for next season and moving forward?

I can't answer that as I've no idea, (one or two others who post here might know better?) but absolutely agree with you, we NEED to  move to have any future.

I said earlier, even the Edinburgh City fans that have supported the team in recent years at Ainslie Park appear to have stopped going now.

We discussed the other options on this thread a month or two ago, I think Hibbe Jibbee posted a good piece about other grounds in Edinburgh.

Hopefully, we can agree something somewhere, because we just HAVE To.

4 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

I can't answer that as I've no idea, (one or two others who post here might know better?) but absolutely agree with you, we NEED to  move to have any future.

I said earlier, even the Edinburgh City fans that have supported the team in recent years at Ainslie Park appear to have stopped going now.

We discussed the other options on this thread a month or two ago, I think Hibbe Jibbee posted a good piece about other grounds in Edinburgh.

Had heard a move back to Ainslie Park had been looked at but with Hearts B playing there there was no slot.

43 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I know Edinburgh fans will be fed up answering this question, and I know that previously the answer was no, however with the financial pressures that have come out over the past month or two and with the current board now reviewing income streams closer, are there any plans to look at other local stadiums??

I’m not going to patronise your fans, you know the complaints, but if it’s putting people (like me) off coming, and there’s no scope to change what’s already in place, then surely the next best thing is to look at other options?? Surely there are better options out there for next season and moving forward?

13 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

What are the other options, though?

Easter Road, Tynecastle and presumably the Edinburgh Rugby ground are surely non-starters. Ainslie Park and Meggetland are fully subscribed. Marine Drive and Saughton aren't suitable.

As discussed previously that leaves you with Edinburgh University at New East Peffermill (surely requiring investment for your needs given it only has 100 seats - there was planning permission to double that to 200):

image.png.d860cde328d7763efed3f3517333fc5b.png

or Watsonians rugby at Myreside (which is quite heavily subscribed as they've a Super 6 side):

IMG_2995_stitch.jpg

because Edinburgh Academical, Heriots and Stewarts Melville don't have floodlights.

Edited by HibeeJibee

I think the stadia options in Edinburgh have indeed almost been exhausted here. But I can think of one other option:

ORIAM INDOOR

Pros: capacity 500 seated. Looks like a spaceship. Excellent access to the queues on the City Bypass. You can glimpse games of Handball in the hall next door whilst idling before kick off.

Cons: colder than Broadwood. Extreme risk of bumping into a rugby player or student, or worse still, a rugby playing student. No food on sale (but very close to a significant number of Currie houses).

IMG_5445.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I think the stadia options in Edinburgh have indeed almost been exhausted here. But I can think of one other option:

ORIAM INDOOR

Pros: capacity 500 seated. Looks like a spaceship. Excellent access to the queues on the City Bypass. You can glimpse games of Handball in the hall next door whilst idling before kick off.

Cons: colder than Broadwood. Extreme risk of bumping into a rugby player or student, or worse still, a rugby playing student. No food on sale (but very close to a significant number of Currie houses).

J4725_N90_high.jpg

Weirdly it'd actually require special permission, and approval of other SPFL clubs:

Covered Stadia
H2     No League Match or Play-Off Match shall take place at any stadium where the playing area is permanently covered or partially covered by a fixed or moveable roof without the prior written approval of the Board after consultation with the Clubs.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

J4725_N90_high.jpg

Weirdly it'd actually require special permission, and approval of other SPFL clubs:

Covered Stadia
H2     No League Match or Play-Off Match shall take place at any stadium where the playing area is permanently covered or partially covered by a fixed or moveable roof without the prior written approval of the Board after consultation with the Clubs.

If it were up to me and I could cast Alloa's vote the Oriam is better equipped than Meadowbank.

However having played a few games on hot days indoors at Toryglen - it's really hard to avoid overheating. Don't think players would take to kindly to that in the long term.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

What are the other options, though?

Easter Road, Tynecastle and presumably the Edinburgh Rugby ground are surely non-starters. Ainslie Park and Meggetland are fully subscribed. Marine Drive and Saughton aren't suitable.

As discussed previously that leaves you with Edinburgh University at New East Peffermill (surely requiring investment for your needs given it only has 100 seats - there was planning permission to double that to 200):

image.png.d860cde328d7763efed3f3517333fc5b.png

or Watsonians rugby at Myreside (which is quite heavily subscribed as they've a Super 6 side):

IMG_2995_stitch.jpg

because Edinburgh Academical, Heriots and Stewarts Melville don't have floodlights.

When the new stadium was built for Edinburgh behind Murrayfield, there was a rumour that Edinburgh City might move there, but as Edinburgh rugby games are dictated by TV companies in regards to Kick off/Days, it might be a mixture of Friday and Saturday games if it came about 

34 minutes ago, kevsmart said:

When the new stadium was built for Edinburgh behind Murrayfield, there was a rumour that Edinburgh City might move there, but as Edinburgh rugby games are dictated by TV companies in regards to Kick off/Days, it might be a mixture of Friday and Saturday games if it came about 

There is also a semi-pro women's team (steady) playing there now too. 

We're not going to sell out the stand in L2 anyway so it doesn't really matter. 

3 hours ago, Tenkay said:

I didn't go yesterday as the points deduction has sealed relegation and frankly it was a bit of a miserable afternoon to be sat at a windy Meadowbank. 

The complete exit of the fans favourites from the squad has been a tough one to take. I thought that Fontaine and Ouzy might stick around for a bit but they haven't and I understand the reasons why. I'd wager that most of the lads in the squad yesterday won't be there for the start of next season, whatever league that is in. 

I went. I expected to get beat. I went along to gave money to the club. I've seen City beaten by Hawick Royal Albert and Vale of Leithen before so losing to Kelty in League 1 is neither here nor there.  

The fans' favourites got the team to the bottom of the League in the first place.. 

Personally I'd have kept playing the 20s. We'd have got a few thumpings but I quite enjoyed some of the play. 

This Scottish League thing always was shite. Soon as we're back in the East of Scotland League losing to Whitehill in front of 25 folk with last minute dodgy penalties the better... 

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

If it were up to me and I could cast Alloa's vote the Oriam is better equipped than Meadowbank.

However having played a few games on hot days indoors at Toryglen - it's really hard to avoid overheating. Don't think players would take to kindly to that in the long term.

Oriam's downside is being refrigerator-esque tbh!

49 minutes ago, kevsmart said:

It's an 8,000 seater and they'll presumably want pitch in top nick for Edinburgh + womens side, women/youth internationals, finals, etc... wouldn't SRU ask a big rent?

36 minutes ago, kevsmart said:

It is a licence requirement for Bronze grounds that there are no non-football markings on the pitch so that'd presumably rule that out.

1 hour ago, kevsmart said:

Have to say don’t believe that for a moment partly on the basis it replaced the 3G training pitch that was there.

Edited by Carmel Wafer

13 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

It is a licence requirement for Bronze grounds that there are no non-football markings on the pitch so that'd presumably rule that out.

Pretty easy to meet that requirment with filling lines week to week,  Its not so much to stop mixed-sport ground shares but to make sure there's an effort to avoid half a dozen different lines market out.

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Pretty easy to meet that requirment with filling lines week to week,  Its not so much to stop mixed-sport ground shares but to make sure there's an effort to avoid half a dozen different lines market out.

Are you aware of any Astro pitches that are getting marking changed from week to week,?

5 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

There’s only 4 SPFL standard grounds in Edinburgh: Easter Road, Tynecastle, Ainslie Park and Meadowbank.  Obviously other grounds could be brought up to the standard but that would involve a lot of investment that we currently don’t have and I’m sure current ground owners wouldn’t have either. 
While the viewing experience isn’t great at Meadowbank, it’s much better location wise than Ainslie Park for pubs, amenities and walking distance from the train station.  Also worth mentioning that most City fans started supporting the club from that area.
While it would probably be cheaper to move back to Pilton, I don’t think you would see many City fans queuing up to go back (Tenkay excepted).  I think it would be shooting ourselves in the foot as there wouldn’t exactly be room to grow with another SPFL team based at the same ground that we’d be paying rent to.