Edinburgh City

I fear the only fun to be had might be guessing when Stirling Uni get their inevitable penalty and that this chap and his chums will be celebrating at the end of the game:

grant.jpg.639fb69e1a3ec91bf47fbcb2a3c47a71.jpg

Not sure how many on here remember Angry Al from the Meadowbank Thistle days, but a post on the Thistle Memories group on Facebook says he has died. His real name was Alistair Petrie-Hay and when I first met him he resembled Neil from The Young Ones but rapidly reinvented himself as a punk and created 'Cheers', said to be the first football fanzine in the country.

4 hours ago, GordonD said:

Not sure how many on here remember Angry Al from the Meadowbank Thistle days, but a post on the Thistle Memories group on Facebook says he has died. His real name was Alistair Petrie-Hay and when I first met him he resembled Neil from The Young Ones but rapidly reinvented himself as a punk and created 'Cheers', said to be the first football fanzine in the country.

I didn’t know Alistair, but I do remember Cheers. I used to go to Meadowbank a fair bit in the early 80’s and I seem to recall a friendly against a West Brom select (would that be right?) and the programme was the Cheers version rather than the usual issue, and it seemed to have so much to read in it and be less stuffy compared to the usual programme.   

I must have it up in a box in the attic, need to go up and have a look for it. RIP Angry Al.

3 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

I seem to recall a friendly against a West Brom select (would that be right?)

Yes, Thistle played West Brom back in the day, though I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

22 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Yes, Thistle played West Brom back in the day, though I'd forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

I live down south and a good mate is an almanac on all things Albion. Gimme a minute........

Edit: He reckons it was Sunday 19th Dec 1979, and he has it listed as a 3-1 win for West Brom 'Reserves'. No Thistle scorer, only Cowdrill and Monaghan (2) for West Brom.

Edited by MrFizz

23 minutes ago, MrFizz said:

I live down south and a good mate is an almanac on all things Albion. Gimme a minute........

Edit: He reckons it was Sunday 19th Dec 1979, and he has it listed as a 3-1 win for West Brom 'Reserves'. No Thistle scorer, only Cowdrill and Monaghan (2) for West Brom.

Thanks for that, I must have been short of something to do the weekend before Christmas. I was probably allowed to go to that game with a pal without my Dad, he would never have let me go to Easter Road at that time aged 10 without him. 😀

Any news about the abandoned Montrose game, will fans who were there be entitled to get into the restage, someone mentioned if abandoned before half-time time we would be?

I’m not really wanting to write off the £40 I paid for the 3 of us for absolutely nil entertainment, other than watching a bag of about 5 balls take off in the wind across the running track, that was quite something.

11 hours ago, MrFizz said:

That sounds about right. I knew it had to be not long after the 1978 World Cup because there were jokes at the time about Remi Moses being told to 'keep taking the tablets' with side references to Willie Johnston...

11 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Any news about the abandoned Montrose game, will fans who were there be entitled to get into the restage, someone mentioned if abandoned before half-time time we would be?

I’m not really wanting to write off the £40 I paid for the 3 of us for absolutely nil entertainment, other than watching a bag of about 5 balls take off in the wind across the running track, that was quite something.

Tuesday April 16, 7.45 

13 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

As a Cowden fan how much do you usually pay for absolutely nil entertainment.... 

39 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

As a Cowden fan how much do you usually pay for absolutely nil entertainment.... 

The entertainment at Cowdenbeath matches transcends mere monetary terms…

On 08/04/2024 at 22:43, MrFizz said:

Willie Kelly scored for Meadowbank 

On 08/04/2024 at 18:22, GordonD said:

Remember Angry Al well, the anarchist civil servant.  

What’s the crack with the wee gang of City ultras, are they banned from inside the ground?

They’ve got into the wasteland bit on the opposite side, not sure if the club are just happier with them over there.

Best view in the house mind you. 

IMG_4207.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

What’s the crack with the wee gang of City ultras, are they banned from inside the ground?

They’ve got into the wasteland bit on the opposite side, not sure if the club are just happier with them over there.

Best view in the house mind you. 

IMG_4207.jpeg

They could come in but the centre didn’t want the drums and the megaphone on a week night.