Edinburgh City

I passed your stadium the other night and the car i was in was hit by stones thrown by youths at Clockmill Lane. (TTB take note yer long standing love affair wi Rosewell has been trumped :P)

Has absolutely nothing to do wi the football club but locals are locals,they knew where to run!

Edited by newcastle broon

On 16/07/2024 at 17:18, tamthebam said:

I'd have charged them a membership fee myself. If the little feckers can afford flares, drums and loudspeakers they could afford a fiver each. 

Agreed Tam. Even just a couple of quid would sort out who actually wants to watch the football, from the ones  just there to cause trouble.

Shouldn't be letting them in the ground wearing Balaclavas either as was the case at Broxburn I believe.

All that said I believe our "wee fannies" are getting all the bad press, when I've seen just as bad from Alloa, Falkirk, Montrose, Livingston and hear about an incident at Forfar on Saturday.

Most teams are having issues with their wee fannies recently.

Edited by Tenkay
It was Broxburn Not Bo'ness!

23 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

Shouldn't be letting them in the ground wearing Balaclavas either as was the case at Bo'ness I believe.

At the BU game there were a dozen youngsters (P7ish) with 1 drum, 1 loudspeaker and a couple of flags . 

No flares and no trouble from them. 

They all wore the Ultra uniform of black trousers , black sweatshirts/tops but no real attempt to conceal their appearance.

Very worrying second half, held it together pretty well first half other than a 5 minute spell around when the 1st went in and had chances at the other end.

But second half was all over the place, seriously hope more signings are to come or there could be bother.

On 16/07/2024 at 13:39, Quentin Prankett said:

Club Statement – Young Supporters Membership – Edinburgh City Football Club (edinburghcityfc.com)

Interesting idea.

Think the little comment about the lack of stewarding should have been left out. 

Appreciate that there has been trouble and the club seem  to be trying to manage the problem without relying on a costly police presence.

But it eems like a rushed and ill thought through idea. Some screenshot of the form and the safe guarding policy attached.

Some observations on what I've read.

1.  Applies to all under 16 fans.  So even those that 1) turn up with an adult or 2) a solo away fan, and don't have a 'card' they won't be allowed in!

2. It is discrimination against young fans.  Why not introduce for all people coming to games?

3. Youngsters being asked to self confirm that they have their parents permission!

4. Who are youngsters sending their pics and confidential personal information to exactly?  Who has access to it?  How is it being managed and secured?  What safe guarding protections are in place?  The published info on CHILD WELLBEING & PROTECTION POLICES: INTRODUCTION is incomplete...  and gives no indication of what these policies are.  

5. This memebershjp scheme is the sort of thing that would have been lapped up and showcased by Margaret Thatcher's government in the late 80s as they went after football fans right to go to football games.

The club needs to go back to the drawing board on this.  It's a shambles.

Screenshot_20240717_225708_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240717_225730_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240717_225739_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240717_230913_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240717_233315_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240717_233319_Chrome.jpg

Edited by ObserverFromAfar
Add in missing screen shots of requests for personal details and photo etc.

Given how poor an experience a visit to meadowbank is for supporters the last thing you want to do is give people more reasons to stay away.

Not sure what happened tonight but saw a whole squad of ultras climb the fence and stand in the waste ground at the far side before kick off. They mostly all climbed out again just before kick off (not sure what caused that) and soon after seemed to be let in en-masse to stand at the far corner of the pitch. Seems unlikely they all signed up for a membership card in that short time frame!

10 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Very worrying 

second half was all over the place, seriously hope more signings are to come or there could be bother.

An annoying result off course, but not unexpected in the bigger picture.

Edinburgh City have signed a squad of young boys from basically, Lowland league standard.

Clyde on the other hand have been chucking the cash around and have a squad that could play in League one.

Maybe same division for now, but in reality squads at least two leagues apart ability wise.

Clyde will get better tests from Motherwell and Montrose.

Edinburgh City clearly Need to somehow manage to bring in better quality, likely on loan from the big teams to be able to be competitive this season!

1 hour ago, Tenkay said:

An annoying result off course, but not unexpected in the bigger picture.

Edinburgh City have signed a squad of young boys from basically, Lowland league standard.

Clyde on the other hand have been chucking the cash around and have a squad that could play in League one.

Maybe same division for now, but in reality squads at least two leagues apart ability wise.

Clyde will get better tests from Motherwell and Montrose.

Edinburgh City clearly Need to somehow manage to bring in better quality, likely on loan from the big teams to be able to be competitive this season!

Yup, very much fancy Clyde to win the title.

Feel there is the makings of a decent side, I like the look of McArthur, Mitchell, Young & Robertson but definitely a few gaps need plugged, suspect like you say it’ll be loan players but a p***k in the middle of the park and a centre half seem to me where the biggest gaps are.

Back in the day when Bill Hunter was banning fans from Meadowbank the Scottish Football League's attitude was "it is up to clubs to decide who they wish to let in". I doubt that has changed. 

The programme said that the Police would insist on a presence at every game which would cost £3500 per match unless we did something about the Ultras. 

I'd rather keep a lot of annoying wee fannies who don't contribute much in terms of cash out than have to pay that kind of money for every home game. 

15 hours ago, ObserverFromAfar said:

Appreciate that there has been trouble and the club seem  to be trying to manage the problem without relying on a costly police presence.

But it eems like a rushed and ill thought through idea. Some screenshot of the form and the safe guarding policy attached.

Some observations on what I've read.

1.  Applies to all under 16 fans.  So even those that 1) turn up with an adult or 2) a solo away fan, and don't have a 'card' they won't be allowed in!

2. It is discrimination against young fans.  Why not introduce for all people coming to games?

3. Youngsters being asked to self confirm that they have their parents permission!

4. Who are youngsters sending their pics and confidential personal information to exactly?  Who has access to it?  How is it being managed and secured?  What safe guarding protections are in place?  The published info on CHILD WELLBEING & PROTECTION POLICES: INTRODUCTION is incomplete...  and gives no indication of what these policies are.  

5. This memebershjp scheme is the sort of thing that would have been lapped up and showcased by Margaret Thatcher's government in the late 80s as they went after football fans right to go to football games.

The club needs to go back to the drawing board on this.  It's a shambles.

Screenshot_20240717_225708_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240717_225730_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240717_225739_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240717_230913_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240717_233319_Chrome.jpg

I agree with some of your points, such as a child accompanied by an adult shouldn’t require to register. Surely the idea of this is for kids under 16 who want to go themselves have to register.

Maybe they will clarify this as things evolve, away fans is also an issue.

Disagree with some of your points, the club has to do something to stop this and avoid the need for crippling police costs.

If the wee fannies are the ones causing the trouble, then they have to put something in place, and it may affect other youngsters who do not get into bother, but so be it, just a form. 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Back in the day when Bill Hunter was banning fans from Meadowbank the Scottish Football League's attitude was "it is up to clubs to decide who they wish to let in". I doubt that has changed. 

The programme said that the Police would insist on a presence at every game which would cost £3500 per match unless we did something about the Ultras. 

I'd rather keep a lot of annoying wee fannies who don't contribute much in terms of cash out than have to pay that kind of money for every home game. 

They didn’t really bother anybody last night tbf. The days of regularly getting decent away crowds from the likes of Falkirk aren’t coming back anytime soon for Edinburgh City, and I suspect the novelty for these young lads will very quickly wear off. Even clubs at this level with relatively decent travelling supports won’t travel in good numbers to Meadowbank so if they go looking for trouble then they’re not going to find it. They will drop City like a stone the minute they’re old enough to go to Tynecastle or Easter Rd with their pals. 

As for Meadowbank, it was my first time at the new one last night. Clearly, it’s not suitable for SPFL football and going there every 2nd Saturday would be horrendous, but I had built it up to be so much worse in my head. Got a relatively decent view on the half way line. Being a nice night helped, but I enjoyed the stroll from Waverley and passed a few pubs that looked not too bad along the way. In that regard I would certainly rank it higher than Ainslie Park, which just feels so much more inaccessible even if the facilities themselves are a lot better there. 

I’ll likely return for the league game in November. 

5 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

They didn’t really bother anybody last night tbf. The days of regularly getting decent away crowds from the likes of Falkirk aren’t coming back anytime soon for Edinburgh City, and I suspect the novelty for these young lads will very quickly wear off. Even clubs at this level with relatively decent travelling supports won’t travel in good numbers to Meadowbank so if they go looking for trouble then they’re not going to find it. They will drop City like a stone the minute they’re old enough to go to Tynecastle or Easter Rd.

I don’t think a big away support is the issue, they would run a mile if actually confronted by a big crew, these kids like to look hard when there is little chance of getting a doing.

And a bunch of them are already Hearts and Hibs fans in reality, perhaps don’t have the money to get into these games and go to City instead (do they actually pay to get into Meadowbank?).

22 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

Even clubs at this level with relatively decent travelling supports won’t travel in good numbers to Meadowbank so if they go looking for trouble then they’re not going to find it.

I would say we fall into this category and looking at the photos at the time, I would have a guess that there was 30 odd people there when we met last season. It was slightly bigger in the first game as people "checked it out" but in general most fans just didn't bother, myself included.

10 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

I would say we fall into this category and looking at the photos at the time, I would have a guess that there was 30 odd people there when we met last season. It was slightly bigger in the first game as people "checked it out" but in general most fans just didn't bother, myself included.

I have similar thoughts about Forthbank tbh- I've seen Meadowbank Thistle play there and Edinburgh City play there in a Cup Final, against Stirling Uni in the Lowland League and against the Binos in the Scottish League over the past 30 years. I've also been to a couple of Stirling Uni games on their own. It's over familiar to me compared to Peterheid and Stranraer for example and the only thing it's got going now is that the pies aren't bad and it's fairly handy travelling from Edinburgh. 

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I have similar thoughts about Forthbank tbh- I've seen Meadowbank Thistle play there and Edinburgh City play there in a Cup Final, against Stirling Uni in the Lowland League and against the Binos in the Scottish League over the past 30 years. I've also been to a couple of Stirling Uni games on their own. It's over familiar to me compared to Peterheid and Stranraer for example and the only thing it's got going now is that the pies aren't bad and it's fairly handy travelling from Edinburgh. 

Yeah, I think that’s the repetitiveness of Scottish football right there, plus the fact that the cost is now so high. Have to admit that there are a number of places that fall into this category for me and I’m now at the stage, when Stirling are away, I’ll more likely be found at a LL/EOS/WOS game instead.

PS- I hadn’t bought a pie at the football for years until this catering company came to Forthbank, our pies are simply fantastic!!

6 hours ago, jacobsladder said:

740 odd

35 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

who was the odd guy? 

I'm sure that's even.

City have a big job on their hands going by what I saw yesterday and recent results to stay above the playoff trapdoor this season.

Hopefully can maybe get a few bodies in soon.