Edinburgh City

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

1276775860_minimurrayfield.jpg.7a7e92641b35575f0687ca2b8cd078a8.jpg

I saw this on the BBC news website- mini Murrayfield is completed. 

It has been mooted as a home for the MIGHTY City. Given the number of pillars in the stands it seems the SRU have gone for the cheap option rather than have cantilevered stands with no pillars. Meadowbank and most modern stands are cantilevered. Indeed when Walsall's Bescot Stadium was opened in the late 1980s looking similar to mini Murrayfield here it was slated by grounds guru Simon Inglis for being the cheap option rather than having 4 cantilevered stands. 

Tl:dr : pillars good for hiding egg chasing from view, shite for watching football. 

One of the BBC Twitter threads had one bint come out with a belter 'but we have them at Scotstoun' as if that make the decision to have pillars justifiable. 

It has been mooted as a home for the MIGHTY City. Given the number of pillars in the stands it seems the SRU have gone for the cheap option rather than have cantilevered stands with no pillars. Meadowbank and most modern stands are cantilevered. Indeed when Walsall's Bescot Stadium was opened in the late 1980s looking similar to mini Murrayfield here it was slated by grounds guru Simon Inglis for being the cheap option rather than having 4 cantilevered stands. 
 Tl:dr : pillars good for hiding egg chasing from view, shite for watching football. 
The changing rooms are outside the perimeter of the new ground - Edinburgh Rugby will use those in the main stadium, but the SFA wouldn't approve that for a football club.

Quite pleased that my assiduous reading of Simon Inglis in my youth has left me with the knowledge that the first cantilever stand was constructed at Scunthorpe in the 1950s. A futuristic construction technology which will surely reach Murrayfield II given time.

Thanks also to plagiarising large chunks of Inglis, my P7 project on the grandstands of Archibald Leitch went down a storm.

On 16/02/2021 at 14:08, DA Baracus said:

Shame, that could have a tidy wee ground but those pillars are awful and look like they'd make for an atrocious view.

They don't look good and the view with a near full house would be terrible, but with only 350 spread around it would allow a decent view for City's and visiting support. Not something that they could grow into though.

On 17/02/2021 at 14:37, scrooge1928 said:
On 16/02/2021 at 13:05, tamthebam said:

The changing rooms are outside the perimeter of the new ground - Edinburgh Rugby will use those in the main stadium, but the SFA wouldn't approve that for a football club.

You are probably right about the SFA, but has there been any dialogue between the Scottish Rugby Union, and City about a shared use ?

Making (further) improvements at Ainsley Park is probably advisable....assuming that there is security with City having a long term lease ?

12 hours ago, Robert James said:

You are probably right about the SFA, but has there been any dialogue between the Scottish Rugby Union, and City about a shared use ?

Making (further) improvements at Ainsley Park is probably advisable....assuming that there is security with City having a long term lease ?

I have no idea. The Board are clammed up tighter than Rod Petrie's wallet on that one. 

Tam

Heard you are moving back to Meadowbank soon. Any news?

As there already has been a New Meadowbank, Old Meadowbank and a Meadowbank 3G what will the new ground be called? New New Meadowbank?

I have no idea. The Board are clammed up tighter than Rod Petrie's wallet on that one. 

58 minutes ago, Hoofhearted said:

Tam

Heard you are moving back to Meadowbank soon. Any news?

As there already has been a New Meadowbank, Old Meadowbank and a Meadowbank 3G what will the new ground be called? New New Meadowbank?

You've heard more than me. 

it should be called Legoland Meadowbank by the look of the place. Or for Thistle nostalgia:  Meadowbank w**k w**k w**k

"Livingston [blank blank blank];
We prefer Meadowbank"

Still rates as one of my favourite terrace chants of all time. It had quite the zip to it!

First heard by me, sang with gusto by half a busload of Thistle fans at Hampden Park about 25 years ago. Think score was 3-2, can't quite remember to whom.

Was interspersed with a lot of Mr Blobby chants.

On 16/02/2021 at 13:05, tamthebam said:

I've just noticed this.   I would NOT be keen to watch anything at that place!

For a brand new stadium, that is a shambles from the Rugby people!!!   It's now 2021 and they can't even organise Cantilever stands for a new ground! Very poor.

On 26/02/2021 at 23:27, tamthebam said:

IMG_20210226_231748245_BURST001.thumb.jpg.5a3404b4ec435c66672ab353acb0215a.jpg

In the days before the Scottish League- Brian "Fozzy" Foster with the East of Scotland (Qualifying) Cup.

Last time I watched big Bri was for Preston V Tynecastle at Fernieside. He was a few pounds heavier than in those pics🤣

A very capable player in his heyday and a top guy aswell.

Interesting developments announced:

James McDonaugh has been appointed Sporting Director so we'll be getting a new first team manager apparently.

The Sporting Director will be involved in youth development. James did well as a youth coach previously with Hibs and Falkirk and I'd like to see some more "home grown" players developed for the first team