Edinburgh City

9 minutes ago, Midweek-away-to-Lossie said:

We don't get many fans attending full stop!  Some of the football we have played at times is awful and that coupled with one of the worst stadiums (both facilities and atmosphere wise) in the country, the casual fan isn't really interested.  The ground is in the middle of nowhere, so not even that easy to get to and once you are there you can almost bet your last £ that the weather will be horrific.  You do get some Aberdeen fans turning up but when you have a number of Highland League teams near by the city, they would likely be more appealing to go to for a Saturday game.

I'm seeing a few similarities between us!  You seem to have the same problems!

My knowledge of the Highland league is obviously poor.  Which other teams are in the Aberdeen area out of interest?

5 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

I'm seeing a few similarities between us!  You seem to have the same problems!

My knowledge of the Highland league is obviously poor.  Which other teams are in the Aberdeen area out of interest?

Banks O' Dee (Torry area of Aberdeen)
Inverurie Loco Works
Fraserburgh
Huntly
Deveronvale
Turriff United

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

End of day any player will leave for any club who will get close to their current wage with a club in a more stable position and Brechin are certainly capable of providing that 

Not convinced that Brechin are the model of stability, but they're certainly better placed to fulfil a contract than EC. There'll be a (less dramatic) reckoning there if they keep flopping in trying to get back into the SPFL. 

Casual supporters and supporters of other teams attending a wee team is practically a thing of the past.

Pie and Bovril isn't  a good measurement because there's quite a few ground hoppers and football enthusiasts.

The reality is people interested go to their own teams games and watch the telly otherwise.

10 hours ago, Tenkay said:

I'm no fussed that he's decided to leave us, but am shocked he's chosen to play in the highland League!

He can’t sign for another SPFL team until January 1st. I would imagine getting paid at this time of year is quite important too.

9 hours ago, virginton said:

Not convinced that Brechin are the model of stability, but they're certainly better placed to fulfil a contract than EC. There'll be a (less dramatic) reckoning there if they keep flopping in trying to get back into the SPFL. 

I don't know what you are basing that on but since our total club restructure we have made steady year on year progression since entering the HL.

Last season was our first attempt at the play offs. I think Cove took 3 or possibly 4 play off attempts before getting promotion. 

Our financial position at present is quite stable but obviously there is a huge gap now with no prize money for winning the league and also the rumoured threat that HL clubs might be excluded from the league cup.  Hence our need to get back to the SPFL as quickly as possible . Signing experienced  players to play in the HL  has proven to be a huge challenge so yesterday's announcement was very welcome. 

On 14/12/2023 at 22:56, Aidan said:

One of the Edinburgh City posters on here is still owe me an inflatable Me Blobby, happy for this to be auctioned off to help the cause.

Think Mr Blobby only lasted 1 season watching Edinburgh. Don’t know if there is more to the story, but he came across as a passionate diehard then disappeared 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Club Statement – North Shields Football Club (northshieldsfc.co.uk)

Things could be worse.... 

Good luck to North Shields. 

Yep, we fans often give the directors who run our clubs a lot of grief but it's a tough task they have and especially at our level of the game.  On the one hand they have to try to grow the club/business and meet the aspirations/expectations of the fan base, but at the same time they have to balance that against the harsh financial realities of often meagre income streams with little margin for error and with oblivion looming just around the corner for any serious errors.  I moan and bump my gums like most fans, but I've never envied them their positions.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Must be even more galling for North Shields fans given that they have to watch the Saudi millions being sports-washed through St James's park just along the road ...

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Yep, we fans often give the directors who run our clubs a lot of grief but it's a tough task they have and especially at our level of the game.  On the one hand they have to try to grow the club/business and meet the aspirations/expectations of the fan base, but at the same time they have to balance that against the harsh financial realities of often meagre income streams with little margin for error and with oblivion looming just around the corner for any serious errors.  I moan and bump my gums like most fans, but I've never envied them their positions.

Tbf their explanation is seemingly deflection. They spent big to win promotions, failing to meet ground criteria on the way, then have come tumbling back down.

They haven't gone bust from a few home games being postponed this autumn. It may have hastened an impending crisis. Chairman resigned last month. Players haven't been paid for weeks. Demoted from Northern Premier League (tier 8 ), despite finishing 7th last season - indeed only 2 places outside promotion playoffs - and currently in playoff race within Northern League (tier 9).

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 16/12/2023 at 09:50, theoriginalhedge said:

I don't know what you are basing that on but since our total club restructure we have made steady year on year progression since entering the HL.

Last season was our first attempt at the play offs. I think Cove took 3 or possibly 4 play off attempts before getting promotion. 

So what part of the post you're responding to is inaccurate? 

In season 1 Brechin's clear aim was to return to the SPFL at the first time of asking - you flopped. Last season your clear aim was to return to the SPFL - you flopped. It really doesn't matter how you did so because only one outcome could be determined as a successful campaign. 

The differences with Cove trying and failing on multiple occasions is that there was no strict limit to the funds that they could throw at rebuilding their squad, and that Cove weren't also adjusting from having previously been a national league club. 

Our financial position at present is quite stable but obviously there is a huge gap now with no prize money for winning the league and also the rumoured threat that HL clubs might be excluded from the league cup.  Hence our need to get back to the SPFL as quickly as possible . 

A statement that clearly supports the argument that Brechin's situation is not inherently sustainable, as your strategy is contingent on returning to the SPFL. There's nothing wrong with that goal, but if you fail to achieve it then further restructuring will clearly be required. 

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tbf their explanation is seemingly deflection. They spent big to win promotions, failing to meet ground criteria on the way, then have come tumbling back down.

They haven't gone bust from a few home games being postponed this autumn. It may have hastened an impending crisis. Chairman resigned last month. Players haven't been paid for weeks. Demoted from Northern Premier League (tier 8 ), despite finishing 7th last season - indeed only 2 places outside promotion playoffs - and currently in playoff race within Northern League (tier 9).

I've been to North Shields a few times and hope they find a way out. Feel worse for them than Edinburgh.

18 hours ago, virginton said:

So what part of the post you're responding to is inaccurate? 

In season 1 Brechin's clear aim was to return to the SPFL at the first time of asking - you flopped. Last season your clear aim was to return to the SPFL - you flopped. It really doesn't matter how you did so because only one outcome could be determined as a successful campaign. 

The differences with Cove trying and failing on multiple occasions is that there was no strict limit to the funds that they could throw at rebuilding their squad, and that Cove weren't also adjusting from having previously been a national league club. 

A statement that clearly supports the argument that Brechin's situation is not inherently sustainable, as your strategy is contingent on returning to the SPFL. There's nothing wrong with that goal, but if you fail to achieve it then further restructuring will clearly be required. 

In season one we had a major squad building excercise as we only had 3 signed players going into pre season. Couple that with the total club restructure at that time and you have a club basically starting from scratch. Yes our aim was to return immediately but even the most ambitious thinkers within the club realised that it wouldn't be that easy.  That we managed to compete at the top end of the league was success in itself. 

Last season was a bit of kick in the balls after winning the league  but something I'm sure we have learned from football wise . 

You have a point regarding the failure to return to the SPFL and that was highlighted to the shareholders at the AGM . Plans are continuously changing . Our directors are making sure that we don't stand still and hope . It is not now a case waiting to see how things transpire before action is taken. 

There appears to be many clubs (as mentioned here )  in grave financial danger and on the brink . I am not sure how much is true but if the Edinburgh City situation is anything to go by then I think we are in a stronger financial position than most to succeed.