Edinburgh City

1 minute ago, Mr Blobby said:

Ousman See almost snatched it at the end for City - TWICE!. You could hear a pin drop at Meadowbank in the dying seconds but funnily enough, we didn't hear the Easter Road Roar today, even although the Hibbees scored 4 goals across the pond. (The wind must have been blowing in the wrong direction or else I had upducky in my ears)

Don't know how See dosn't get a regular start he has always looked impressive the times i've seen him come off the bench. Can only think Gary Jardine thinks he's better as an impact sub, he certainly was today.

6 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Don't know how See dosn't get a regular start he has always looked impressive the times i've seen him come off the bench. Can only think Gary Jardine thinks he's better as an impact sub, he certainly was today.

You might be able to see yourself in the press box in that Twitter video. Yes, Ousman See makes his presence felt whenever he comes on especially with the long ball over the top to him..

PS. There's a student journalist from Edinburgh University seated on the far left of the press box. Nathan, I think his name is. Hoping he'll email in his story as guest editor for the City Fanzine next time. Spoke to his mate (about it) who was sitting in front of me before he moved because his view of the pitch was obstructed by the man standing with the camcorder. 

Edited by Mr Blobby

quite a few scouts in attendance today...

fred.jpg

..Rosco had three good chances in the first half but failed to convert them so perhaps we should have gone in leading at half time. i was a bit disappointed at the goal we lost- anyone who has followed Renton's career from Musselburgh onwards would know he is a good header of the ball. At least we grabbed an equaliser and McGurn showed he is a class act today. 

Honours even. 3 points would have been nice but we're unbeaten in 3 Scottish League games now :thumsup2 which is probably a record considering how shite the original City team of the 1930s were! 

My brother and I took this in as neutrals, to tick off the 42nd ground in Scotland.

Decent enough game with a good few chances, if not a hell of a lot of quality - but entertaining stuff.  Good steak pies too.  And you get a cracking view from the back of that stand, even if you are miles away.  Meadowbank really is ageing though.

There was a guy sitting three rows in front of us who spent the entire first half playing chess on his phone, and then left.  He must have a really bad domestic situation going on!

The City manager really needs to sit down with you number 9 and explain the offside rule.  He spent the entire game three yards ahead of the last defender and never checked the line.  I know footballer aren't always the brightest but geez...

No City Fanzine for 3 weeks now as we are away to East Fife in the Scottish Cup next week and Arbroath in the League the following week. If there's a midweek replay with East Fife at Meadowbank, then we'll do a special for that one, otherwise it's the 10th December v Stirling Albion for Issue 11. 

Ousman See is the Pin Up for Artist Collecting Card Number 3 (Lookalike comments on a postcard please tamthebam) and we take a short break from the reviews of the Meadowbank Thistle fanzines (AWOL is next up) with a look at All To Nah - the fanzine for Altona 93 FC, one of the oldest German association football clubs in Hamburg, now playing in the lower leagues. 

Go Tell The Spartans FC Front Cover Year One Issue Eleven Draft Copy Meadowbank Thistle Sons of the Desert.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby
Page headlines changed

12 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

You might be able to see yourself in the press box in that Twitter video. Yes, Ousman See makes his presence felt whenever he comes on especially with the long ball over the top to him..

PS. There's a student journalist from Edinburgh University seated on the far left of the press box. Nathan, I think his name is. Hoping he'll email in his story as guest editor for the City Fanzine next time. Spoke to his mate (about it) who was sitting in front of me before he moved because his view of the pitch was obstructed by the man standing with the camcorder. 

I did see myself in the video:lol: The man with the camdorder is the guy who done the highlights on Blue Brazil TV.

30 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I did see myself in the video:lol: The man with the camdorder is the guy who done the highlights on Blue Brazil TV.

Good effort. See you at Central Park. Thanks for the assists with the Jillian McFarlane Cowdenbeath photos for the City Fanzine. I'll save you a copy.

Issue #10 was the one with the free single. There were a couple of other free-gift ideas that never saw the light of day - one plan was to give away a free condom, stapled to the cover so that it was useless! Another was a free colostomy bag (hey, you can use them for keeping soup in the freezer!) but I think that one fell through because we couldn't get enough of them.

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Honours even. 3 points would have been nice but we're unbeaten in 3 Scottish League games now :thumsup2 which is probably a record considering how shite the original City team of the 1930s were! 

Almost - happened 4 times in 8 seasons!!

Sat 23 Sep 1933 ... Edinburgh City 2-2 Stenhousemuir
Sat 30 Sep 1933 ... East Stirlingshire 2-2 Edinburgh City
Sat 07 Oct 1933 ... Edinburgh City 2-2 Montrose

Sat 24 Aug 1935 ... Edinburgh City 0-0 Dumbarton
Sat 31 Aug 1935 ... Morton 1-1 Edinburgh City
Sat 07 Sep 1935 ... Edinburgh City 3-2 St Mirren
Sat 14 Sep 1935 ... Brechin City 1-2 Edinburgh City
Sat 21 Sep 1935 ... Edinburgh City 3-1 Alloa Athletic

Sat 07 Dec 1935 ... Edinburgh City 2-2 Forfar Athletic
Sat 14 Dec 1935 ... Leith Athletic 1-2 Edinburgh City
Sat 21 Dec 1935 ... Dumbarton P-P Edinburgh City
Sat 28 Dec 1935 ... Edinburgh City 4-0 Brechin City

Sat 28 Jan 1939 ... Edinburgh City 4-1 Morton
Sat 04 Feb 1939 ... no game (Scottish Cup R2)
Sat 11 Feb 1939 ... Dundee Utd 1-3 Edinburgh City
Sat 18 Feb 1939 ... Edinburgh City 3-3 Stenhousemuir
Sat 25 Feb 1939 ... Edinburgh City 3-2 Dundee Utd

Twice post-war:

Sat 30 Aug 1947 ... Leith Athletic 'B' 2-2 Edinburgh City
Sat 06 Sep 1947 ... Raith Rovers 'B' 3-5 Edinburgh City
Sat 13 Sep 1947 ... St Johnstone 'B' 3-3 Edinburgh City

Sat 06 Dec 1947 ... Edinburgh City 7-3 Montrose
Sat 13 Dec 1947 ... no game
Sat 20 Dec 1947 ... Edinburgh City 5-1 Arbroath 'B'
Sat 27 Dec 1947 ... Edinburgh City 2-2 East Stirlingshire

Edited by HibeeJibee

The MTFC Sons of the Desert back page feature in Issue 11 of the City Fanzine will now be stretched into two parts. Part Two - Another Fine Mess will be in Issue 12 for the Edinburgh City v Arbroath game at Meadowbank on the 7th January.

Jordan Caddow is the Edinburgh City Players Artist Collecting Card Number 4 for that one.

Go Tell The Spartans FC Front Cover Year One Issue Twelve Draft Copy Jordan Caddow Collecting Card Number 4.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby
Upgraded foreground picture to make sharper image

5 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

The MTFC Sons of the Desert back page feature in Issue 11 of the City Fanzine will now be stretched into two parts. Part Two - Another Fine Mess will be in Issue 12 for the Edinburgh City v Arbroath game at Meadowbank on the 7th January.

The actual quote is "Another Nice Mess" but absolutely everybody gets it wrong! Show people you've done the research and print what Ollie actually said!

PS - And do Clyde really do that?

Edited by GordonD

9 hours ago, GordonD said:

The actual quote is "Another Nice Mess" but absolutely everybody gets it wrong! Show people you've done the research and print what Ollie actually said!

PS - And do Clyde really do that?

HaHa! Good shout on both counts Big G! Don't worry, I haven't lost the plot. The "Another Fine Mess" sub heading is part of the research on AWOL. In Issue #4 of AWOL there was supposed to be an article about the Sons of the Desert but it got postponed and later appeared in AWOL Issue #5 (No Sheep Till Bilston).

The Heading in AWOL Issue #4 reads: Laurel + Hardy Postponed - Another Fine Mess (SIC). The explanation of AWOL's misquote appears in the Footnote - A Confession column 2, in Issue 12 of the City Fanzine. Published on 7 January 2017.

As for the 'Clyde Bully Wee Boys', I think it was something that I picked up on yesterday from another Pie & Bovril thread, and like yourself. I found it amusing too but I think it was in reference to the songs that the Bully Wee Boys always sing rather than bullying nippers lol (and I'm told there are several variations of the bully wee, bully wee tune). Other songs are available which inevitably links to the list below. 

Scrape out the Barrel, a list of Meadowbank Thistle songs (76 - 100) which I found in AWOL #11, complisterated by 'ELVIS', is another Jewel in the Crown. For the life of me, I haven't been able to uncover the other 1-75 Thistle songs in any of the other AWOL's, so it's got me thinking that the 1-75 Thistle songs is a myth. I could be wrong though.

What all this talk of songs boils down to is that we are complisterating a new list of songs for Edinburgh City's Blobby Army.

We've got 1-3 so far. Not good! But it brings us back on topic anyway.                                    

Spoiler

(Phew, I think I got away with that long explanation. I think Elvis will buy it. Crossing my fingers he doesn't notice the spoiler and open it)

PhotoScan Another Fine Mess - misqoute from AWOL Issue 4.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby

'Freddie Starr Ate My AWOL', (Above), is quite tame in comparison to something that I read about the Brake Club yesterday.

" Not that strangeness is confined to supporters of the big clubs. I was at a Meadowbank game once when I saw a junior member of the brake club finish drinking his half-time bovril. For dessert he ate the polystyrene cup. None of his friends seemed to find this untoward. They were probably too busy dreaming of tucking into the match programme for supper. "

Source: The Absolute Game Revisited Part 37 http://mycardiacsurgery.blogspot.co.uk/2006/05/absolute-game-revisited-part-37.html

skennedy.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby

37 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Scrape out the Barrel, a list of Meadowbank Thistle songs (76 - 100) which I found in AWOL #11, complisterated by 'ELVIS', is another Jewel in the Crown. For the life of me, I haven't been able to uncover the other 1-75 Thistle songs in any of the other AWOL's, so it's got me thinking that the 1-75 Thistle songs is a myth. I could be wrong though.

They definitely existed. Nos. 1 - 50 were in an article called 'Thisul's Thestive Thifty', IIRC (as opposed to Fisul's Festive Fifty) but I've forgotten who wrote it. Might have been Colin McPherson but I wouldn't swear to it. The follow-up (by me) covered 51 - 75 and the third instalment (also by me) you have.

52 minutes ago, GordonD said:

They definitely existed. Nos. 1 - 50 were in an article called 'Thisul's Thestive Thifty', IIRC (as opposed to Fisul's Festive Fifty) but I've forgotten who wrote it. Might have been Colin McPherson but I wouldn't swear to it. The follow-up (by me) covered 51 - 75 and the third instalment (also by me) you have.

Just checked through my AWOL stash. Not there. But No. 1, No. 3, No 7 and No. 9 are not in my possession so they songs must be in that lot.

No success online either with Thisul's Thestive Thifty, other than what you've just posted an hour ago. The search continues..

The Laurel and Hardy article was probably postponed due to a certain Son of the Desert never getting round to writing it... 

Incidentally my old man saw Laurel and Hardy when they visited Edinburgh on tour in the early 1950s, 

I was reminded recently of AWOL's Thistle/Smiths songs list for some reason. The best one was "There is a shite that never goes off (Chic Charnley)"