Edinburgh City

18 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The Laurel and Hardy article was probably postponed due to a certain Son of the Desert never getting round to writing it... 

Incidentally my old man saw Laurel and Hardy when they visited Edinburgh on tour in the early 1950s, 

I was reminded recently of AWOL's Thistle/Smiths songs list for some reason. The best one was "There is a shite that never goes off (Chic Charnley)" 

The new Calvin Harris song My Way has struck a cord with some City fans changing the chorus to: City!  Olé Olé,  Olé. (One for the supporters' bus to practice on I think)

4 hours ago, AJBRFC said:

Absolute banger that Mr Blobby lad x

The fledgling Blobby Army have a tendency to spontaneously substitute the word 'CIty' with 'Blobby' on some occasions. Wait til they get their hands on The East Fife Songbook.  My particular favourite is the one about the shed.

http://www.aftn.co.uk/songbook.html

17 hours ago, GordonD said:

The actual quote is "Another Nice Mess" but absolutely everybody gets it wrong! Show people you've done the research and print what Ollie actually said!

We can be sure Oliver Hardy never said 'Another Fine Mess" but there's a 30s film by that title. The plot thickens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Fine_Mess

and a long list of "Another Nice Mess" quotes from both of them here. http://www.stanlaurelandoliverhardy.com/nicemess.htm

Phew, I'm glad we cleared that fine mess up in the end!

Another_fine_mess_1930_poster.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby

Looking at East Fife's vital statistics from Wikipedia. Hmm... largest win 13-2 v Edinburgh City in 1937.  History couldn't repeat itself, could it? Better park the bus on this one to be on the safe side and play for the draw. 

Records[edit]

Parking the busCrNoz8dWgAAwVrY.jpg

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The Laurel and Hardy article was probably postponed due to a certain Son of the Desert never getting round to writing it... 

Dave Beecroft being late with supplying an article? Nah, we must be talking about two different people!

Seriously, I wouldn't be at all surprised. He used to produce the newsletter for the local tent of the Sons, which was handwritten and in a moment of weakness (and because I'd just got a new printer) I offered to type it up for him. Then one fateful day he phoned me and said he didn't have time to write it and could I produce something myself? This led to me taking the thing over and for fifteen years I did it virtually single-handed. This became a lot more difficult when I got a desktop publishing program which meant that instead of a couple of pages of material that took as much room as it needed, everything had to fit together like a jigsaw, as Mr Blobby will understand. Dave still supplied a column most months but it always arrived at the last minute, which was a real problem as I never knew how much room to leave for it while I put the rest of the thing together. One time when his stuff hadn't arrived I tried to drop a broad hint by leaving a big blank space with a sentence saying that he hadn't sent me his column. Did it work? Guess...

Don't get me wrong - Dave is a really nice bloke and if he's reading this I would be very happy to have a few pints with him. I've even forgiven him for getting me involved with the Sons of the Desert in the first place...

Hey Statto types: That 13-2 win was recorded by the East Fife team that would go on to win the Scottish Cup against Kilmarnock and were, until our lovely green neighbours triumphed this year, the only lower league team to win the Scottish Cup.

25 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

I've got hospitality tickets for the cup game at Bayview on Saturday, I'll report back on whether the pies are any better when you're part of the bourgeoisie.

Good man! Marks out of ten please for the meatiness of the Steak and the Mince. And if there's any crispy topped macaroni pies left over sling one our way. The co-editor is quite partial to one. Personally, I dislike the soggy bottom you get with too much gravy in our City Steak pies recently. 

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 4 and 9 Year One Issue  Ten (2).png

19 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Good man! Marks out of ten please for the meatiness of the Steak and the Mince. And if there's any crispy topped macaroni pies left over sling one our way. The co-editor is quite partial to one. Personally, I dislike the soggy bottom you get with too much gravy in our City Steak pies recently. 

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 4 and 9 Year One Issue  Ten (2).png

East Fife pies are good Mr B.

On 22/11/2016 at 10:15, GordonD said:

Dave Beecroft being late with supplying an article? Nah, we must be talking about two different people!

Seriously, I wouldn't be at all surprised. He used to produce the newsletter for the local tent of the Sons, which was handwritten and in a moment of weakness (and because I'd just got a new printer) I offered to type it up for him. Then one fateful day he phoned me and said he didn't have time to write it and could I produce something myself? This led to me taking the thing over and for fifteen years I did it virtually single-handed. This became a lot more difficult when I got a desktop publishing program which meant that instead of a couple of pages of material that took as much room as it needed, everything had to fit together like a jigsaw, as Mr Blobby will understand. Dave still supplied a column most months but it always arrived at the last minute, which was a real problem as I never knew how much room to leave for it while I put the rest of the thing together. One time when his stuff hadn't arrived I tried to drop a broad hint by leaving a big blank space with a sentence saying that he hadn't sent me his column. Did it work? Guess...

Don't get me wrong - Dave is a really nice bloke and if he's reading this I would be very happy to have a few pints with him. I've even forgiven him for getting me involved with the Sons of the Desert in the first place...

In that case 'Elvis', you'd better get writing the MTFC Sons of the Desert Part One and MTFC Sons of the Desert Part Two - (Another 'Nice' Mess). Just to be on the safe side, otherwise we won't have a back page next month lol.

Edited by Mr Blobby

Confessions of a Bam Part 415: 

Edinburgh City's u18s played their first ever game against East Fife u18s in the Scottish Youth Cup at the old Bayview- which was one of the last ever games it hosted. I pinched a wooden "No Smoking" sign from the back of the stand as a souvenir and later sent it to the Editor of AFTN. 

I don't know if he ever got it because the c**t never sent me a reply. Perhaps I should have kept the sign for my collection of football memorabilia/tat.