Edinburgh City

On 2 March 2017 at 04:52, Mr Blobby said:

Page 10 & 3 for the City Fanzine Saturday 4 March at Meadowbank Stadium KO 3pm. Edinburgh City v Berwick Rangers. The Scottish Junior Cup feature and Edinburgh City match reports. Why Junior football? I hear you ask. Fanzines at Meadowbank have a long history of association with junior football and they were the feeder clubs in the 80's at a time when reserve teams and the under 20's - never mind the required youth system at grass roots level we have nowadays - were virtually unknown for part-time upfront upstarts outfits like Meadowbank Thistle when they ruled the roost in the concrete lavvy pan. Changed days indeed! Newtongrange Star produced for us, the likes of Graeme Armstrong and Big John 'Al Pacino' Coughlin (who?). Or maybe it was the other way around but certainly along with the mighty Berwick Rangers, players and managers have been flying back and forth between Newtongrange Star and Meadowbank so much since time immemorial, you'd think they got married. :lol: 

Here's the legend and apologies to our regular readers (and League 2 coaches who find our match day reports invaluable) for drip feeding the fanzine this week. Due to unforeseen circumstances I've got a little behind.:o (Blame the midweek game with Cowdenbeath and my boss for keeping me back late every night)

I'm pretty sure that Graeme Armstrong signed for us from Haddington before going to Berwick, then Meadowbank and others. He finished up as manager at Newtongrange though.

I don't think he was a Meadowbank player before signing for us. 

Wiki says he played one game for Meadowbank as a trialist out of the juniors.

Edited by AlbionMan
Add final paragraph

H

20 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

That's Fox resigned from Cowdenbeath, their squad isn't that bad and if they get a competent manager in place quickly they can still reel us in. Don't fancy our chances on Saturday but if we can beat Berwick in the rearranged game and nick a win away at Clyde I'll sleep a lot sounder.

Hopefully we do go on a winning run and swap places with Clyde.

51 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

I'm pretty sure that Graeme Armstrong signed for us from Haddington before going to Berwick, then Meadowbank and others. He finished up as manager at Newtongrange though.

I don't think he was a Meadowbank player before signing for us. 

Wiki says he played one game for Meadowbank as a trialist out of the juniors.

Thanks for that. I knew Coughlin and Armstrong had some kind of ties with Newtongrange Star - just didn't have my hands on all the exact details at the time of writing it up. It was a bit of a rush job. Meadowbank Thistle manager Terry Christie was also at Newtongrange. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that when Terry Christie left Stirling Albion, he had a chance to go to Meadowbank Thistle straight away, maybe on the recommendation of the Binos trainer at that time, Tam Maclaren, but he went to Newtongrange first to gain experience. Big Tam Maclaren of course went on to help Christie at Meadowbank in later years. And he's (MacLaren) still around, spotted MacLaren with Mickey Lawson at an Edinburgh City game earlier in the year. 

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Thanks for that. I knew Coughlin and Armstrong had some kind of ties with Newtongrange Star - just didn't have my hands on all the exact details at the time of writing it up. It was a bit of a rush job. Meadowbank Thistle manager Terry Christie was also at Newtongrange. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that when Terry Christie left Stirling Albion, he had a chance to go to Meadowbank Thistle straight away, maybe on the recommendation of the Binos trainer at that time, Tam Maclaren, but he went to Newtongrange first to gain experience. Big Tam Maclaren of course went on to help Christie at Meadowbank in later years. And he's (MacLaren) still around, spotted MacLaren with Mickey Lawson at an Edinburgh City game earlier in the year. 

Alan Skilling was another who left us for Meadowbank in the early 80s

58bf518b140cf_stirlingalbionphoto.jpg.d033c98397708490c411bf81b1f703bf.jpg

good guy Tam McLaren (not a bam!). Here he is in a small photo of the Binos also featuring Sir Michael of Lawson and Bill Shankley's brother Bob (a successful manager in his own right).

There were a few other Meadowbank -Stirling connections: John "Plug" McCormack and  Robert "Fat Bob" Reilly to name a couple. 

And the magnificent b*****d that is the City-Stirling connection:

tadg.jpg.fc0fc952bfb917098d5202c1ef62dffe.jpg

Tadg Moriarty. Now I notice he was in the same Celtic youth team as Jim Goodwin. Did Jim teach Tadg the subtle art of the two footed tackle or did Tadg teach Jim?! 

Edited by tamthebam

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Bill Shankley's brother Bob (a successful manager in his own right).

I used to think it was funny that both teams played in red and their ground was called An(n)field.

1 hour ago, Mocochinchi said:

Heading up to the game v Forfar on Saturday.  First visit to Station Park.   Looking forward to it.

Best place in the ground for away fans to watch the game?

You get a good view all round Station Park- it's small, but perfectly formed. The away terrace should suit you fine unless it rains as its not covered. Otherwise the covered terrace is fine. . 

58c1e0d00c230_stationpark.thumb.jpg.7e1d79d0cbc6992f8e613f7d9d29fff2.jpg

Covered terrace as shown at the cup game. (we won :))

Hoping Deeks goal was a 30 yarder. 

Good result today.

Unfortunately not but a decent finish all the same from about 8-10 yards. Cut back to Deeks and a right footed finish into the net. Lewis Allen goal was decent as well, cut in from the left and unleashed a great strike.