Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

29 minutes ago, G51 said:

Sounds like we've put the word out that they're available. Makes sense.

Desperate to get Jones out and Kai Kennedy extended. The boy is a direct replacement for Kent.

Kennedy looks a real prospect and based solely on recent form, Rangers might’ve been wiser to take that (alleged) £10m Leeds bid for Kent. Some of his attempted passes were very sloppy on Saturday. Can’t work out if Kent’s just off the boil and out of form or whether teams have sussed him now. He is a bit one dimensional at times.

Edited by 8MileBU

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Kennedy looks a real prospect and based solely on recent form, Rangers might’ve been wiser to take that (alleged) £10m bid for Kent. Some of his attempted passes were very sloppy on Saturday. Can’t work out if Kent’s just off the boil and out of form or whether teams have sussed him now. He is a bit one dimensional at times.

Worth remembering that Kent started the season on fire, but he's played 88% of all of our minutes this season. That's behind only Tavernier and Goldson. I think he's basically played too much and hasn't been rotated enough. Been a tough run of games recently - we've 4 games in the next 4 weeks, so that should allow him to rest up properly.

Also still a really good player off-the-ball for us, even when he's struggling on it. Then again, we don't really have any bad players off-the-ball. He'll always give you 100% graft though.

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

Worth remembering that Kent started the season on fire, but he's played 88% of all of our minutes this season. That's behind only Tavernier and Goldson. I think he's basically played too much and hasn't been rotated enough. Been a tough run of games recently - we've 4 games in the next 4 weeks, so that should allow him to rest up properly.

Also still a really good player off-the-ball for us, even when he's struggling on it. Then again, we don't really have any bad players off-the-ball. He'll always give you 100% graft though.

Aye that’s why I was said “based solely on current form”. It’s hard to put a finger on exactly why he’s a bit off form just now but like you say, could just be he needs a rest.

Think that’s it. He delivers the league then (fair fucks to him) he’s off to the EPL, reputation soundly bolstered by having stopped them winning 10. Sore bit for us will be how much of his coaching staff he takes with him. Gary Mac to step up or go with? 
Don't the winners of the premiership this season go straight into the Champion's League? I'd have thought he would want to have a crack at that as opposed to moving to Crystal Palace or Newcastle for example. Unless Liverpool and Klopp part ways.

Don't the winners of the premiership this season go straight into the Champion's League? I'd have thought he would want to have a crack at that as opposed to moving to Crystal Palace or Newcastle for example. Unless Liverpool and Klopp part ways.
Next season is 2 rounds of CL qualifiers for 1st place.

17 hours ago, G51 said:

Sounds like we've put the word out that they're available. Makes sense.

Desperate to get Jones out and Kai Kennedy extended. The boy is a direct replacement for Kent.

Scott McDermott now reporting that Kennedy is about to sign a new deal with Rangers then join Raith on loan.

Never mind that, get him in the team.

19 minutes ago, G51 said:

Scott McDermott now reporting that Kennedy is about to sign a new deal with Rangers then join Raith on loan.

I'm surprised no top flight club was interested in a loan tbh.

3 hours ago, G51 said:

If you win the league with a few games to spare I’m sure youth would get a chance in the last couple of games. Sad to say but the likes of Scottish talent like him, Kelly, Barjonas, Patterson will have to leave Ibrox to get a game regularly 

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

If you win the league with a few games to spare I’m sure youth would get a chance in the last couple of games. Sad to say but the likes of Scottish talent like him, Kelly, Barjonas, Patterson will have to leave Ibrox to get a game regularly 

Barjonas isn't a good player and won't make it at Rangers anyway. I'd be surprised if he ends up with a career in the Premiership. Championship is about his level and his ceiling.

Kelly is good and is liked by Gerrard. He'll get his shot next season if he continues to impress at Ross County.

Kennedy and Patterson are the real deal and will get plenty of games at Rangers. The reason Kennedy wasn't signing a new deal was because he wanted to play games - pretty clear that if he's signing one now, we've promised him he's going to be getting games next year. Patterson will get plenty of games in the next 12 months as well.

The trio of Kennedy, Patterson and Dickson are really highly rated by Rangers. Leon King is rated higher still, but he's still just 16/17. All four will play plenty of games for Rangers and get their chance. Kelly slightly less well thought of, but he'll get his chance too I'm sure.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Barjonas isn't a good player and won't make it at Rangers anyway. I'd be surprised if he ends up with a career in the Premiership. Championship is about his level and his ceiling.

Kelly is good and is liked by Gerrard. He'll get his shot next season if he continues to impress at Ross County.

Kennedy and Patterson are the real deal and will get plenty of games at Rangers. The reason Kennedy wasn't signing a new deal was because he wanted to play games - pretty clear that if he's signing one now, we've promised him he's going to be getting games next year. Patterson will get plenty of games in the next 12 months as well.

The trio of Kennedy, Patterson and Dickson are really highly rated by Rangers. Leon King is rated higher still, but he's still just 16/17. All four will play plenty of games for Rangers and get their chance. Kelly slightly less well thought of, but he'll get his chance too I'm sure.

How many times has it been said that Scottish talent would play plenty of games for either side of the Old Firm but they haven’t. I’m sure two years ago Andrew Dallas was being touted as the great striking option for years to come, same last season with Dapo Mebude. It’s sad to say but Scottish lads usually have to leave the OF and then start the climb to the top, I’m thinking the likes of Declan Gallagher, Craig Halkett, Stephen ODonnell, Liam Kelly. I’ll be shocked if next season or two seasons from now that Dickson, Patterson, Kennedy, Kelly are playing regularly for you guys.

agree with Barjonas, he’s always looked shite when playing against us. Kelly was excellent for us, but Ross County or a mid to bottom Prem team is his level imo  

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

How many times has it been said that Scottish talent would play plenty of games for either side of the Old Firm but they haven’t. I’m sure two years ago Andrew Dallas was being touted as the great striking option for years to come, same last season with Dapo Mebude. It’s sad to say but Scottish lads usually have to leave the OF and then start the climb to the top, I’m thinking the likes of Declan Gallagher, Craig Halkett, Stephen ODonnell, Liam Kelly. I’ll be shocked if next season or two seasons from now that Dickson, Patterson, Kennedy, Kelly are playing regularly for you guys.

agree with Barjonas, he’s always looked shite when playing against us. Kelly was excellent for us, but Ross County or a mid to bottom Prem team is his level imo  

Neither Andrew Dallas or Dapo Mebude were ever thought of as major prospects that I can recall. Dapo will likely be released at the end of the year, but he was good on Football Manager last year IIRC. Dallas went to Morton for six months and really struggled, was released after.

None of the guys you've given there are good enough *now* to have made it at Rangers or Celtic (maybe O'Donnell could play at Celtic, but only because their full backs are honking). Halkett was told very early in his career that he wouldn't make it, which is how he ended up at Livi. And Kelly was always in McCrorie's shadow as a prospect, though it was thought he would go on to be a bottom-six-level keeper. Which is pretty much what he is.

The Patterson/Dickson/Kennedy/King quad are much better prospects than any of the guys you've mentioned. They're the products of the youth setup revamp that Craig Mulholland undertook. Dickson was linked with the EPL, Kennedy and King were linked with Bayern and Roma - it's a different quality of prospect than it has been the last few years. And Gerrard knows we have to bring through players for European squad purposes, plus the competitive advantage it gives us.

I'm very optimistic that at least two of the four will establish themselves in the first team in the next two years.

57 minutes ago, Orbix said:

Barjonas is actually quite good and I’d like to see him start getting some ten minute cameos across the back of games this year

He’s about to turn 22 and he has less than 3000 career minutes, and a decent chunk of them were for Raith Rovers in League One.

He’s too old and too inexperienced to have any kind of future with us. 

13 hours ago, Orbix said:

Barjonas is actually quite good and I’d like to see him start getting some ten minute cameos across the back of games this year

He actually isn't. He's actually quite pish and I can see him getting a start in the third tier which  is, I believe, his level.