Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Can't agree with you on Gerrard and tactics. I think that's where he still struggles..

I'm not so sure he "struggles" tactically. Beale (and others) may be superior, but to say Gerrard struggles tactically is doing him a disservice in my opinion.

The biggest strength of this Rangers team is how they adapt to their opponents. Countless times this season we have made in-game tweaks which has resulted in us gaining the upper hand.

How do you single out Gerrard for struggling tactically in a coaching team that have, thus far, been out-thought on very few occasions this season?

Just now, G51 said:

Absolutely. I'd say that within any first-team coaching staff you need to broadly cover these areas:

Attacking unit, defensive unit, set pieces, match-specific preparation, in-game adjustments, squad harmony

On top of that, someone has to be the authority (this will always have to be the manager), someone has to plan the training sessions and someone has to design and implement the overarching philosophy at the club.

If you fill all those roles with good people that work well together, you'll have a successful management team. If you don't, then you won't.

If you look at Celtic this season as an example, they have three first team coaches responsible for all of the above. That's way too much workload for three people. Is it any wonder they have clearly defined weaknesses (set pieces is a clear one) and look like a shambles? The coaches they have, even if they were world class, are spread too thin.

As fans, we need to start thinking more about coaching teams, rather than managers.

The big issue for me with Celtic is how unprofessional the coaching staff really is. They went from someone as thorough as Brendan Rodgers to Neil Lennon. When Random Guy said Lennon didn't do post match analysis with his team I thought he was on the wind up. Then I saw the comments from Lennon himself.

They should be watching tape of the performance whether they've won or not.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'm not so sure he "struggles" tactically. Beale (and others) may be superior, but to say Gerrard struggles tactically is doing him a disservice in my opinion.

The biggest strength of this Rangers team is how they adapt to their opponents. Countless times this season we have made in-game tweaks which has resulted in us gaining the upper hand.

How do you single out Gerrard for struggling tactically in a coaching team that have, thus far, been out-thought on very few occasions this season?

You're right about the in-game adjustments. I don't have the figures to hand, but I always think that Rangers play better in the second half of games (assuming we haven't finished them off by the first half).

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Was inevitable. Deserved a sending off.

Does anyone know if this rules him out immediately for our game this weekend?

It does, but I expect we'll appeal it. Defoe is out for Sunday too, but will be back for Wednesday. If we appeal it, we'll have two strikers for our upcoming games, if we don't we'll only have one for Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The big issue for me with Celtic is how unprofessional the coaching staff really is. They went from someone as thorough as Brendan Rodgers to Neil Lennon. When Random Guy said Lennon didn't do post match analysis with his team I thought he was on the wind up. Then I saw the comments from Lennon himself.

They should be watching tape of the performance whether they've won or not.

Unprofessionalism is a problem yeah, but even if they were the most professional coaches out there, would they really be able to do all that work between three of them?

I don't think they would. They were set up to fail in some respects.

Watching tape back is something the analysis department should be doing, then they should give feedback through to the coaches and players (though obviously coaches should also watch it for their own development). If that isn't happening, it's because Celtic don't have good analysts, or they aren't being listened to.

6 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

AED318A2-6F61-4894-A6DA-9F14CF54AE45.jpeg

This is basically an endless tit for tat routine now, with fans watching opponents games and demanding retrospective action for every wrong decision. 

Games are being rerefereed now.

1 minute ago, DMCs said:

Looks like Roofe will get a ban. Plenty of game time for Itten now. Hopefully he can take his chance.

Only one striker now, thankfully we have a 17 point safety net.

23 minutes ago, G51 said:

Unprofessionalism is a problem yeah, but even if they were the most professional coaches out there, would they really be able to do all that work between three of them?

I don't think they would. They were set up to fail in some respects.

Watching tape back is something the analysis department should be doing, then they should give feedback through to the coaches and players (though obviously coaches should also watch it for their own development). If that isn't happening, it's because Celtic don't have good analysts, or they aren't being listened to.

I'd presume it is the latter.

4 minutes ago, Orbix said:

Get a youngster in on the bench, Itten starts, run them out for 30 minutes?

I don't think we really have a promising young striker ready for that at the minute.

The next group of lads are James Graham, Tony Weston and Robbie Ure, but they're all 16/17 and aren't physically ready yet.

Could go with Chris McKee or Kane Ritchie-Hostler, but McKee probably won't make the cut and KRH is more of a hybrid forward these days.

If the referee never saw it, what was Roofe booked for.....

EteXfQrWQAghiPf?format=jpg%26name=900x900&key=baa8acc338e28dbe45bb49d27556409ee8d5733db7b5dab79c4dade2b3e574ec
Obviously he was booked for the bookable offence the referee incorrectly thought he saw that indicates him having not seen the clear sending off offence for serious foul play that everyone else did see.

Not sure how any Rangers fans can have any complaints about this one too be fair. It's 100% a red card and Rangers got the advantage of keeping 11 men for 60 extra minutes.

4 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Obviously he was booked for the bookable offence the referee incorrectly thought he saw that indicates him having not seen the clear sending off offence for serious foul play that everyone else did see.

Not sure how any Rangers fans can have any complaints about this one too be fair. It's 100% a red card and Rangers got the advantage of keeping 11 men for 60 extra minutes.

It clearly says that the offence was not seen by any  match officials, the referee saw it and dealt with it. The rule is for incidents that the officials never saw.

Could it have been a red, yes it could have been. Guess what thats what happens in football and  sometimes players escape a red card,  it's only an issue when the media stir up the mock (Sevco) outrage.

1 minute ago, bennett said:

It clearly says that the offence was not seen by any  match officials, the referee saw it and dealt with it. The rule is for incidents that the officials never saw.

Could it have been a red, yes it could have been. Guess what thats what happens in football and  sometimes players escape a red card,  it's only an issue when the media stir up the mock (Sevco) outrage.

Pretty sure the player on the receiving end may have had an issue with it

9 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

The whole point of the system is that it's about getting the most serious incidents that the referee genuinely missed. It's not about re-refereeing games. This fails that test and is therefore the incorrect decision.