Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

19 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Isn’t the realism we are actually getting worse

I don't believe we are. I believe it's more a case that the ever changing landscape of European football is leaving us looking somewhat stagnant.

10 hours ago, honestly united said:

I dont know it its just me, but we seem to have done really badly out the latest restructuring. The teams as the top get more, the ones at the bottom stay the same, but the ones in the middle are losing out to give those at the top more

The ones at the bottom had nothing left to give. Those just behind the top nations did alright from giving more champions a place in the CL group stages, so yeah, those in the next group (like us) are the ones who lost out.

European competitions are to top Scottish clubs what the Scottish Cup is to Linlithgow Rose - a bit of early season excitement, potential to visit some place new and you might get to play someone actually good at some point. But we all know the competition isn't really for us and we'll be out long before the serious teams have to start taking it seriously.  

The state of play before we get this season's campaign underway: https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/crank2020.html

15 eq Cyprus 3.000 5.500 7.000 6.125 0.000 21.625 4/ 4
16 eq Greece 5.400 5.800 5.100 5.100 0.000 21.400 5/ 5
17 eq Croatia 4.500 5.125 5.125 5.750 0.000 20.500 4/ 4
18 eq Switzerland 5.300 4.300 6.500 3.900 0.000 20.000 5/ 5
19 eq Serbia 4.250 2.875 6.375 6.000 0.000 19.500 4/ 4
20 eq Scotland 3.000 4.375 4.000 6.750 0.000 18.125 4/ 4
21 eq Norway 7.250 1.375 4.000 5.375 0.000 18.000 4/ 4
22 eq Israel 2.250 6.750 5.625 2.625 0.000 17.250 4/ 4

If everything goes the same way as last season then we'll move up one place to 19th. Here's hoping for eight wins in the first qualifying round.

On 31/05/2019 at 12:37, DAFC. said:

We are 5 places off getting a 2nd Champions League spot. How realistic is it we achieve that?

You say that as if it's at all desirable.  No single development would be worse for our game.

If there's one thing worse than OF fans (and I can only think of one) it's when diddy fans pipe up for their interests.

Voluntary serfdom - sickening.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If you'd rather read posts in which people get excited about a 0.016 here, or a 0.109 there, as if it matters, be my guest.

Don't be so sensitive MT, I wasn't having a go. It is just that the argument is the same every year and it can be tedious.

I'm split on the issue as one side of me would like to see greater access to Europe for more clubs, not see us get further and further away. The real issue here is not coefficients but what one or two clubs qualifying for the CL does to domestic competitions in countries like ours. I'd rather reform so that a large % of CL money goes to the SPFL as opposed to Celtic for example and it becomes an investment in the league as opposed to a reward for the club.

This is, however, fanciful as no parties involved would want it and we'd be told to be grateful for the £250k we get out of Celtic qualifying or whatever it is.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Don't be so sensitive MT, I wasn't having a go. It is just that the argument is the same every year and it can be tedious.

I'm split on the issue as one side of me would like to see greater access to Europe for more clubs, not see us get further and further away. The real issue here is not coefficients but what one or two clubs qualifying for the CL does to domestic competitions in countries like ours. I'd rather reform so that a large % of CL money goes to the SPFL as opposed to Celtic for example and it becomes an investment in the league as opposed to a reward for the club.

This is, however, fanciful as no parties involved would want it and we'd be told to be grateful for the £250k we get out of Celtic qualifying or whatever it is.

Indeed.

These are precisely the arguments that we should be having regarding the coefficient, as opposed to divorcing the whole idea of context and instead seeing it as about mere arithmetic, rather than power.

That's what I strive to do each year on here.  The bad news is that I've no plans of stopping.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's not impossible for Aberdeen to get to the group stages to share the rewards of European football.
Even a 50/50 (club and league) split of all European dosh wouldn't guarantee more success for Scottish clubs in Europe.
Given Livingston or Hamilton a million or two would only increase the gap from the top tier to the second tier. 

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's not impossible for Aberdeen to get to the group stages to share the rewards of European football.
Even a 50/50 (club and league) split of all European dosh wouldn't guarantee more success for Scottish clubs in Europe.
Given Livingston or Hamilton a million or two would only increase the gap from the top tier to the second tier. 

You're assuming the end goal is success in Europe