Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

7 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I think I've made my point clear,the co-efficient represents the achievement of each club, the money made is just the consequence of the competition.

So rather than just say a club reached the third round or whatever this year, I should say something that involves a decimal point?

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So rather than just say a club reached the third round or whatever this year, I should say something that involves a decimal point?

Look it's your prerogative,if you only want to see £££ signs that's up to you.
I prefer to look and see how our teams compare to other nations across Europe.
Last season Scots teams finished 10th out of 55 counties in terms of co-efficient points.
That's a very decent achievement.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

18 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Look it's your prerogative,if you only want to see £££ signs that's up to you.
I prefer to look and see how our teams compare to other nations across Europe.
Last season Scots teams finished 10th out of 55 counties in terms of co-efficient points.
That's a very decent achievement.

If you see the whole coefficient thing as being about a big League Table, then fair enough I suppose. 

It's a minority outlook though.  Most on here,seem to see it as about getting up the table in order to bring about tangible change to our circumstances.  I don't see such potential changes as positive.

26 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

wastecoatwilly determined to tell everyone that money doesn’t affect football (lol-fucking-wut) vs Monkey Tennis determined to bore the tits off everyone.

What a thrilling few pages this has been

Fans overestimate and underestimate the emphasis of money in the game it's still 11 v 11 and every fan loves a shock.

14 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:
19 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:
Fans overestimate and underestimate the emphasis of money in the game it's still 11 v 11 and every fan loves a shock.

Why do Celtic get ragdolled by PSG, Barca, Bayern etc in Europe then if it's not about money?

Is that a trick question?
And what has it got to do with the co-efficient?

Guest Moomintroll
Why do Celtic get ragdolled by PSG, Barca, Bayern etc in Europe then if it's not about money?
In spite of all their money, they just want it more.

9 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
20 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:
Is that a trick question?
And what has it got to do with the co-efficient?

No. You're always saying money makes little difference, and Celtic dominate domestically due to some intangible quality. Why isn't that the case in Europe?

Because they're bigger fish in the sea?

38 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
14 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

In spite of all their money, they just want it more.

I think Liverpool are the top dogs they must have the best bank balance up front.

Guest Moomintroll
I think Liverpool are the top dogs they must have the best bank balance up front.
Well remembered. Looking at the likes of Van Dijk & Becker it would appear that they have invested their profits wisely as opposed to keeping it in the bank to pay for non football related bonuses & stud fees for tax dodgers.

Looking at the highlights from the first legs, tonight Bate borisov and astana have it all to do.
With the polish and the Romanians with home advantage it will be a tough night for the seeded teams.
Plus the Hungarians and the Bulgarians looks like there is nothing between them.
The rest of the seeds look pretty comfortable to make it through.    

On 12/07/2019 at 22:16, wastecoatwilly said:

I have no interest in the capitalism in the UEFA game, the TV companies are always going to throw mountains of cash at it.
It has nothing to do with the co-efficient system,the seeding system is much like Wimbledon the top players are the top counties.
You seem to have a major problem separating the two.  

If the prize money in tennis was like the prize money in the Champion's League, John Isner would have ended up with more money than Novak Djokovic. 

On 12/07/2019 at 13:54, Monkey Tennis said:

You misunderstand my case here.  

I don't object at all to the existence of European club competitions for the better sides from each country.

I also fully accept the relatively lowly position we currently occupy in a vastly changed landscape, as entirely justified.

I hate however, the way the riches from the tournaments are distributed, and think it proves especially damaging in small countries like ours. 

I've also asked before about how a change in our coefficient would impact on our clubs.  I was told that the situation can effectively get no worse, but that if it got markedly better, we'd get 2 CL spots.  For reasons I've often expressed, that's the last thing I want, and I see those (especially diddy fans) who salivate over the coefficient, as the proverbial turkeys fully embracing Christmas.

I fully get where you’re coming from on this, however Aberdeen finished 2nd 3 of the last 4 seasons.

there’s also a real chance of Sevco going pop again over the next couple of years or at least failing FFP for UEFA license.

imagine the difference a CL group spot would do to a Aberdeen, Killie, Hearts or Hibs. One shot could set them up for years and would surely trickle down through other clubs in transfers.

plus would half the TV share that Celtic would get assuming they’re the other team to qualify.

A rising tide lifts all boats 

6 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

I fully get where you’re coming from on this, however Aberdeen finished 2nd 3 of the last 4 seasons.

there’s also a real chance of Sevco going pop again over the next couple of years or at least failing FFP for UEFA license.

imagine the difference a CL group spot would do to a Aberdeen, Killie, Hearts or Hibs. One shot could set them up for years and would surely trickle down through other clubs in transfers.

plus would half the TV share that Celtic would get assuming they’re the other team to qualify.

A rising tide lifts all boats 

A  couple of difficulties here.

I was pleased to see Aberdeen beat Rangers to second place twice.  It didn't happen last year though, and won't this.  We know that no version of Rangers was in the division for Aberdeen's second places before that.  The duopoly is I'm afraid, back.

Now the latest Rangers didn't reach the top two by dint of European money.  They did so due largely to the might their gates grant them.  That's clearly blindingly obvious, but is apparently worth repeating for those who wish to pretend I'm saying the OF dominate things simply because of Europe.

Another leap is required by the belief that Rangers are again going bust.  Nobody wishes for this more than me, but I don't for a moment believe it's happening.  It's certainly not likely enough to transform how anyone should view this question.

Finally, the idea that 'trickle down' economics makes sense in a context where its entire raison d'etre is that teams compete with each other using resources that cost money, is too absurd for words. 

The tide metaphor is thoroughly unsuccessful here by the way.  The boats would all sit on the same water and be lifted in the same way by the same force.  That sounds a lot more like my preferred model of wealth distribution, than the one you're attempting to defend.

Edited by Monkey Tennis