Gordon Strachan

Elixir

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The fortunes of sports teams can be quick to turn around. I got tickets no bother for a Scotland v France rugby game back in 2005 or 2006, because everyone thought they were on a bad run and they'd get gubbed. But they won.

Strachan looks finished, as does this campaign, but I'd still like to go to a Scotland v England game, just to cross it off the list.

I understand the last line but I'd rather wait for a better occasion IIBH as we're toast in this group, it's really disappointing that the SFA can't employ anyone with a decent knowledge of how to work a calculator or develop a small algorithm.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am done with watching us now, will not watch another game until he is gone....yet more of the same square pegs in round holes, failing to pick form players, rubbish excuses for yet more failure. The SFA and idiots in the Tartan Army get what they wish for, they all deserve each other. RIP Scottish National Team we will soon be a Pot 5 Nation.

I'm pretty much the same, I can't justify working my shifts and holidays around going on trips to far flung places around Europe when I could go another time when there's not a game on and the direct price flights are less than half the price.

I said at the start of the year after booking Prague I was giving the away games a break after Wembley but now I'll be giving the home Ganes a body swerve too, even the England game. £50 FFS!. I'll still be hungover after the Robbie Williams concert from the night before anyway

A few boys on the TAMB have been in contact with the fans representatives ATAC but they are just blowhards for the SSC/SFA. They like to cosy in with the SFA

The games up the pole and as soon as more folk boycott the better. It's sad that it's come to this but it's the only way I can see any sort of change

Part of the problem here is that the SFA will still rake it in from games against the "big" nations.  Even if regulars swerve the games there will still be folk queuing up to pay upwards of 50 sheets to see England.

Games against the smaller nations they probably expect crowds of >30,000 so it's probably not going to hit them in the pocket.

Until folk stop turning up in numbers for the bigger games then it will be business as usual and f**k you all from the SFA.

Part of the problem here is that the SFA will still rake it in from games against the "big" nations.  Even if regulars swerve the games there will still be folk queuing up to pay upwards of 50 sheets to see England.

Games against the smaller nations they probably expect crowds of >30,000 so it's probably not going to hit them in the pocket.

Until folk stop turning up in numbers for the bigger games then it will be business as usual and f**k you all from the SFA.

This is the sad reality. The SFA must have thought all there Christmases had come at once when England were drawn out the hat

Just now, HairyBawz said:

This is the sad reality. The SFA must have thought all there Christmases had come at once when England were drawn out the hat

You can imagine the meeting the following day as they're all sitting quivering round the table debating "how much can we charge them??".

That's another thing, how pathetic are we? We have big countdowns and big hoo-ha's to functions for strip launches and cup draws

Pay £50 for a membership and you can be in with a chance to attend a shitey cup draw, well put sky sports on a projector and open a kiosk so we can fleece you for a fiver a pint

Be in with a chance to visit JD Sports and get a selfie with Scott Brown and here some shitey group play a song then we'll rob you for £120 for the new home and away shirts

It's pathetic, no matter what way the dress it up its scandalous

The cost is a disgrace but we all know that Football Rips the Fans off, especially at the higher levels, the difference is whether people chose to pay for it or not and as has been said, with the sheer blind loyalty of the fools in the Tartan Army it is unlikely that boycotting a game say V Slovenia is likely to make the SFA Take Note. The only game you could say that an actual boycott would have any sort of impact is the England Game, if we all felt so strongly about it and made sure Hampden was half empty for that then it would send a message but the issue is that despite how crap we are and how much we hate Strachan and the SFA there would and still is quite a lot of casual interest in a Scotland V England game so the SFA will still find idiots willing to pay top dollar for it....

Said it before but the SFA really need to consider the value of Hampden as a venue because for me it is TERRIBLE and that is being kind. I get it is the "Spiritual Home" but times change. The Pitch is too far away from the fans and being honest the place is devoid of any sort of atmosphere at all. Obviously we have bigger problems but I really cannot stand Scotland games at Hampden and it is nothing to do with being based in Aberdeen either, I would happily watch Scotland play at Ibrox or Celtic Park where the pitch is closer and you get a better atmosphere. I personally think that, as well as playing better and getting results, that the SFA needs to consider moving the team around the country for certain games, for example, home games against the likes of Malta could and should be played at Say Tynecastle, Rugby Park, Easter Road or even Pittodrie ,if they remember there is civilisation north of Stirling, where a sell out is more likely and a potentially more passionate and noisy crowd. I do not understand why we have to play EVERY home game at the same stadium, other Nations freely move around their country to play so why do we HAVE to play every game at Hampden?

The cost is a disgrace but we all know that Football Rips the Fans off, especially at the higher levels, the difference is whether people chose to pay for it or not and as has been said, with the sheer blind loyalty of the fools in the Tartan Army it is unlikely that boycotting a game say V Slovenia is likely to make the SFA Take Note. The only game you could say that an actual boycott would have any sort of impact is the England Game, if we all felt so strongly about it and made sure Hampden was half empty for that then it would send a message but the issue is that despite how crap we are and how much we hate Strachan and the SFA there would and still is quite a lot of casual interest in a Scotland V England game so the SFA will still find idiots willing to pay top dollar for it....

Said it before but the SFA really need to consider the value of Hampden as a venue because for me it is TERRIBLE and that is being kind. I get it is the "Spiritual Home" but times change. The Pitch is too far away from the fans and being honest the place is devoid of any sort of atmosphere at all. Obviously we have bigger problems but I really cannot stand Scotland games at Hampden and it is nothing to do with being based in Aberdeen either, I would happily watch Scotland play at Ibrox or Celtic Park where the pitch is closer and you get a better atmosphere. I personally think that, as well as playing better and getting results, that the SFA needs to consider moving the team around the country for certain games, for example, home games against the likes of Malta could and should be played at Say Tynecastle, Rugby Park, Easter Road or even Pittodrie ,if they remember there is civilisation north of Stirling, where a sell out is more likely and a potentially more passionate and noisy crowd. I do not understand why we have to play EVERY home game at the same stadium, other Nations freely move around their country to play so why do we HAVE to play every game at Hampden?

When they done Hampden up for the commonwealth games they should have continued building down the way and had the fans on top of the players.

Even the whole getting to and from Hampden is a joke. If you leave at full time it takes about an hour to get back to central. Last week it took less than an hour to get from Wembley to Westminster station

They seem to forget it's only a home game if you live in Glasgow

I understand the last line but I'd rather wait for a better occasion IIBH as we're toast in this group, it's really disappointing that the SFA can't employ anyone with a decent knowledge of how to work a calculator or develop a small algorithm.

You could be dead before there's a better occasion.

Scotland have been poor to mediocre for a while now. No sign of us getting better anytime soon.

7 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Good article on the BBC website about Strachan and the SFA http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38021627

Yes, a good article that tackles the stuff about how limited our players allegedly are, in a way that nobody seems to have a satisfactory answer for.

I'm not convinced however that the motivation for sticking with Strachan is even primarily financial.  I think it's a cowardly inertia that grips those in charge, that is allied to a vaulting stubborn ego that is somehow given free reign.

Strachan's appointment has amazingly managed to become the worst of the lot this century.  Given the stiffness of the competition, that seems incredible.

Yes, a good article that tackles the stuff about how limited our players allegedly are, in a way that nobody seems to have a satisfactory answer for.

I'm not convinced however that the motivation for sticking with Strachan is even primarily financial though.  I think it's a cowardly inertia that grips those in charge, that allied to a vaulting stubborn ego that is somehow given free reign.

Strachan's appointment has amazingly managed to become the worst of the lot this century.  Given the stiffness of the competition, that seems incredible.

Or not in any way coincidental...

I'm not with you.

What do you mean?

Managers keep turning to shit when they take up the Scotland job.

I think Strachan should be getting more out of the team but how many times does this need to happen?

Burley was really good with Ipswich and had hearts flying for a while before he took over.

Just now, pandarilla said:

I think Strachan should be getting more out of the team but how many times does this need to happen?

Burley was really good with Ipswich and had hearts flying for a while before he took over.

Yes, Burley had a good record beforehand.  Although a suicidal wage bill helped at Hearts.

He failed in a campaign though, talked shite at times and duly got sacked before he could knacker another one.  I don't think he had the force of personality to carry doing badly in the way that the current incumbent seemingly can.

What are you saying though?  It's contradictory.  If Strachan should be getting more from the players, why provide him with the apparent get-out that the Scotland job prevents good managers from doing well?

I'm intrigued.

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Smith and McLeish enjoyed tremendous success after leaving Scotland in very good shape. Are you suggesting the job is seriously capable of turning a decent focussed manager into shite, by default?

It's a bloody shame it takes an Irishman to illustrate the point. 

Archived