Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

49 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Was that Gala stand the first cantilevered stand at a football ground in the UK? I think Scunthorpe or somewhere equally random had the first in senior football.

Oddly enough Tannadice has been claimed to have UK's first cantilevered stand, although rather like Pittodrie being UK's first all-seated stadium I'm sceptical there.

EDIT: I see Wikipedia claims Tannadice is 3rd after Scunthorpe + Sheffield Wednesday.

Edited by HibeeJibee

23 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

OK, buy an away end ticket; sit in a seat with a restricted view (and again, not just a pillar like at the othet grounds you mention but a wall where you can't see a significant part of the pitch) then try and move. Come back to us when you've tried.

The walk through the cemetery to East End Park was my favoured route when I used to get the bus into town. It took you to the away end but I always enjoyed that walk rather than getting the bus in further and walking along Piggie's Lane.

Also on East End Park (after a fashion), before Cowdenbeath moved to Central Park they used to play at West End Park in Cowdenbeath, behind the library. West End Park of course is several miles East of East End Park and vice versa which despite them being in different towns amused me for the almost but not quite symmetry. 

We played at North End Park.

4 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

It's horrific. A real eyesore to drive/walk by too.

Once you're in though the bar in the stand is good :thumsup2

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

Gala tonight. Rab B Nesbit obscured by the guy in blue with the belly :lol:

IMG_1501.jpg

P1030395.jpgP1030396.jpg

Loved my day out there when we played them in the Scottish Cup a few years ago. Are they still piss poor? 

Improved, but nothing to shout about. LL positions since it started: 10/12, 8/14, 11/5, currently 12/16 with game in hand on 11th.

Definitions of inconsistency.

Since LL began they have never won more than 2 games in a row... equally since 2013-14 they have only lost more than 2 games in a row twice (second being the last 3 games up to and including tonight).

Haven't progressed more than 1 round in Scottish Cup since 2011 (admittedly that was the first occasion since 1962!)... equally they've made it to R3 then R2 twice in last five years.

Similar story in 'domestic' cups since LL started. South Challenge Cup: R3 / R1 / R1... Lowland League Cup: 3rd in section / QFs / QFs... East Qualifying Cup: R3 / R2 / SFs / R1.

Never strung together particularly good, or particularly bad, runs of results.

On 8/28/2016 at 10:10, LANG TOON SAINTIE said:

Brechin has it's hedge but is McDiarmid park the only stadium with trees growing inside it ?? 

Nice avatar... :wub:

I saw Arthur play with the most recent incarnation of Love four times before he had to leave us. King Tuts once and three times in the more grandiose setting of the Carling Academy.

The Forever Changes tour with the strings and horns will probably never be topped as a live experience.

7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

St. Mirren played Ayr Utd in a sectional League cup tie there in the early 70s, can't remember why it wasn't played at Somerset Park.

I was there and we lost 2-1. :(

In the same section though, we did massacre BVFC 1873 ( deceased ) 4-1 at Ibrox. :thumsup2

From an example of some of the largest to one of the smallest seated stands in Scottish football. Does anyone know of a smaller seated stand than the one at Fraserburgh Utd? It looks like a stiff breeze would blow it over. Its in quite an open area quite exposed to the elements in winter so it must be pretty robust considering where it is.

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 008.jpg

football travels Nov 08 to Apr 09 051.jpg

DSC00152.JPG

Image result for fraserburgh utd

Edited by CityDave

50 minutes ago, shootingboots said:

Has there ever been a game played at Tannadice and also at Dens at the same time?

In August 2013 I covered the Forfarshire cup final between Dundee United and Saints which kicked off at 7pm and went straight to Penalties, before then going to Dundee v Forfar in the league cup , 7.45 kick off which went to extra time and was won with almost the last kick of the game. I was gutted not to see two shoot outs in one night.

20130827_200433_LLS.jpg

20130827_202650.jpg