Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

A lot of this could have stayed/gone to Edinburgh. What a waste, all caused by the Brit natters

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0416/1210313-financial-firms-and-brexit/

The sad thing is that many brexit types either don't care or would even see this a victory. After all finance isn't a real industry and bankers are all overpaid metropolitan types who live in ivory towers and didn't matriculate at the university of life.

Gammons are far more indignant about hearing someone speak Polish in the queue at Tesco than about any loss to the exchequer that they can't actually see with their own eyes.

5 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The sad thing is that many brexit types either don't care or would even see this a victory. After all finance isn't a real industry and bankers are all overpaid metropolitan types who live in ivory towers and didn't matriculate at the university of life.

Gammons are far more indignant about hearing someone speak Polish in the queue at Tesco than about any loss to the exchequer that they can't actually see with their own eyes.

When was the last time manufacturing caused a decades worth of austerity.  Whilst I agree that the current setup somehow places banks at the top of the food chain and therefore provides large profits to the businesses involved and subsequently the Exchequer.  However there can be no illusion that current financing models are anything other than wholesale gambling.

However there can be no illusion that current financing models are anything other than wholesale gambling.

The word current is redundant there, but what system do you want instead? One without mortgages, without small business loans, without cash ISAs or pensions, without car insurance?

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

The word current is redundant there, but what system do you want instead? One without mortgages, without small business loans, without cash ISAs or pensions, without car insurance?

Ah, traditional financing.  The halcyon days.

Not a CFD, leveraged ETF or other exotic mechanisms in sight.  Do you really think that Banks make their excessive profits from these markets?  If so, I have a rather profitable (for me) transaction where you can be the couter-party.

When was the last time manufacturing caused a decades worth of austerity.  Whilst I agree that the current setup somehow places banks at the top of the food chain and therefore provides large profits to the businesses involved and subsequently the Exchequer.  However there can be no illusion that current financing models are anything other than wholesale gambling.

With deindustrialisation being the norm across most Western economies that's unlikely to change.

Ah, traditional financing.  The halcyon days.
Not a CFD, leveraged ETF or other exotic mechanisms in sight.  Do you really think that Banks make their excessive profits from these markets?  If so, I have a rather profitable (for me) transaction where you can be the couter-party.
What? No, I'm making the point that finance, and all business, boils down to gambling and the hope that your assumptions and predictions prove correct more often than not.

On 17/04/2021 at 17:06, strichener said:

Is it still gambling if you can't lose? 

Much hooraying from the tories last week that Truss had ALMOST entered a trade deal with Australia.

A couple of days after that Australia announced that it will prioritise it's trade deal with the EU.

Tories shat on and the Daily Express calls it a 'Brexit Disaster'.

Common fuckin sense would tell you that it's better to have a trade deal with the EU's 27 countries  with a 447 million population rather than a deal with one country with a 60 million population.

Did the Brexiteers ever mention that on their campaign?

Did they think that the UK was that popular throughout the world that other countries would fall over themselves to do generous deals.

Or did they forget the Imperialistic tag still lingers with many nations.

The sooner Scotland is Independent the better.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Much hooraying from the tories last week that Truss had ALMOST entered a trade deal with Australia.

A couple of days after that Australia announced that it will prioritise it's trade deal with the EU.

Tories shat on and the Daily Express calls it a 'Brexit Disaster'.

Common fuckin sense would tell you that it's better to have a trade deal with the EU's 27 countries  with a 447 million population rather than a deal with one country with a 60 million population.

Did the Brexiteers ever mention that on their campaign?

Did they think that the UK was that popular throughout the world that other countries would fall over themselves to do generous deals.

Or did they forget the Imperialistic tag still lingers with many nations.

The sooner Scotland is Independent the better.

Agree with your sentiment, the population of Australia is ca. 26 million though.

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
17 minutes ago, German Jag said:
Agree with your sentiment, the population of Australia is ca. 26 million though.

I think the 60mill he was referring too was the population of the UK.

Which is 68 million and not 60 million.