Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Government plans to override parts of the Brexit deal relating to Northern Ireland have passed their first hurdle in Parliament.

By 295 votes to 221, MPs gave initial approval to a controversial bill allowing ministers to scrap parts of the Northern Ireland Protocol.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61959526

This part -

'Voting lists showed no Conservative MPs voted against the bill. However during the debate, some joined opposition MPs in warning that the legislation breaches international law.'

So some of these MP's that voted for the bill were not being honest with their vote. I take it they were ordered to vote for it.

So much for democracy.

Not all MPs voted. Later in that same article it names Theresa May as opposing the bill and abstaining. 

41 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

He must have read a different article 

909E1F6A-E993-4CBE-863A-1052B94E0267.jpeg

Yes, it's the EU we have to worry about when it comes to a reduction in food quality standards for the British serfs.

42 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Knowingly breaching International Law but not taking personal responsibility for it because 'Party first'.

It's a well known excuse and transference, but it doesn't wash.

You hear the same thing when people are trying to talk their way out of trouble, they'll blame someone else or circumstances but never take responsibility for their own actions.

To be fair to them (I know I know) and given the way Westminster works, I can understand that now is not the time to vote against the bill.

The various stages of process have to be gone through and it is during this time that there will be chances for changes or rejection.

Rory Stewart explained it reasonably in that podcast thingwy he does.

Conspiracy Theory thread for this pish, but would the government really be all that fussed if the IRA started leaving bombs in department stores again? It'd be a brilliant rallying point for them, and nobody they know would be seen dead in Primark anyway. Just need to make sure the spooks are doing their job to avoid any more conference bombings.

Conspiracy Theory thread for this pish, but would the government really be all that fussed if the IRA started leaving bombs in department stores again? It'd be a brilliant rallying point for them, and nobody they know would be seen dead in Primark anyway. Just need to make sure the spooks are doing their job to avoid any more conference bombings.
I'd prefer it if they started blowing up Tory party conferences again tbh.

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Government plans to override parts of the Brexit deal relating to Northern Ireland have passed their first hurdle in Parliament.

By 295 votes to 221, MPs gave initial approval to a controversial bill allowing ministers to scrap parts of the Northern Ireland Protocol.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61959526

This part -

'Voting lists showed no Conservative MPs voted against the bill. However during the debate, some joined opposition MPs in warning that the legislation breaches international law.'

So some of these MP's that voted for the bill were not being honest with their vote. I take it they were ordered to vote for it.

So much for democracy.

I blame those damned Westminster/local* conservatives.

*delete as applicable

How could they not defeat this obviously stupid piece of legislation?

The UK has decided it wants to take on Ireland, US, EU, China, Turkey and India in a combined trade war. All whilst the economy is in free-fall. I guess all this talk of being "at war" is supposed to cushion the inevitable reintroduction of rationing. 😐

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You might want to reconsider the wording… :P

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

I'd prefer it if they started blowing up Tory party conferences again tbh.

Naturally, terrorism can't be encouraged, and nobody deserves to be killed, even people who are actively working to make the lives of millions worse.

Spoiler

15GVVbv.gif

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

Thatcher's popularity was on the wain due to her unpopular reforms but all it took was a good war to get the country behind her and restore the nation's pride and flag waving that had been absent during the years of weak Labour government. However Thatcher had a serious goal and stuck with it, this Brexit is Amateur League in comparison. Boris is getting Brexit done regardless of the mess and collateral damage left behind so if violence sparks up then someone else can deal with it.

That really does sum up the current government - grab as much as you can for as long as possible, as dealing with the consequences will be somebody else's job.

Not that it was much better in decades gone by. Successive governments allowed widescale lies about foreigners to go unchecked because it's politically useful to have a scapegoat for anything and everything that goes wrong, so it's little wonder that we're such a xenophobic society.

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Lessons have not been learned from the public reaction to the fire at Grenfell Tower. Certainly clear indication of how out of touch with ordinary people the Conservative Government was and still is. The government showed back then how much shit they give about those near the bottom of the social scale and when even Lily Allen made more f**king sense than Teresa May, there should have been more than just alarm bells going off back then.

Turkeys still voted for Christmas though and here we are.

They'd argue that they've had a massive vote of confidence at the polls since Grenfell, so the public considers their policies more important than lower-class people being burned alive in firetraps.

Because they're a bunch of fucking psychopaths.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Had enough of all these remoaners whining about how shitty Brexit's been? You're in luck, here's a good news story!

https://www.politico.eu/article/ireland-trade-booming-in-post-brexit-economy-dublin-belfast-uk/

As Northern Ireland is part of the UK, I don’t see that it makes much difference as to whether the goods come from Belfast or Birmingham?

5 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

As Northern Ireland is part of the UK, I don’t see that it makes much difference as to whether the goods come from Belfast or Birmingham?

Ireland is responsible for protecting the EU single market from goods coming from Birmingham. As NI is still in the EU single market no Irish checks are necessary.

Negative impact? Never saw mention of that on the Brexit bus.

From The Guardian: 

Evidence of the negative impact of Brexit on the UK’s trade with the European Union is starting to emerge with EU data showing that exports to the bloc declined by nearly 14% in 2021 compared with 2020, a senior official in Brussels has said.

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Negative impact? Never saw mention of that on the Brexit bus.

From The Guardian: 

Evidence of the negative impact of Brexit on the UK’s trade with the European Union is starting to emerge with EU data showing that exports to the bloc declined by nearly 14% in 2021 compared with 2020, a senior official in Brussels has said.

You are omitting the close season trade deals 

Announce Burkina Faso