Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

24 minutes ago, strichener said:

I'll come back and read this fantastic contribution when I have more time.  As usual you have put a considerable amount of thought into your posts and I want to do it justice.🙄

^^^ slow reader found.

5 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The cut off age for voters should be 55.

Clearly anyone older can’t be trusted to not make an arse of it.

Yeah, but plenty of people will tell you that youngsters under 25 (or higher) are idiots and shouldn't be trusted to sit the right way on the lavvy.

What we need is a benevolent dictatorship - all we need to do is find someone between 25 and 55 years old with a good head on their shoulders, then replace them like-for-like when their predecessor hits retirement age. Simple.

Surely we have someone qualified on P&B. I feel a thread coming on.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Yeah, but plenty of people will tell you that youngsters under 25 (or higher) are idiots and shouldn't be trusted to sit the right way on the lavvy.

What we need is a benevolent dictatorship - all we need to do is find someone between 25 and 55 years old with a good head on their shoulders, then replace them like-for-like when their predecessor hits retirement age. Simple.

I’m over 55 and I know the right way to sit on the lavvy  . .   em, what was the question?

1 hour ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

I’m over 55 and I know the right way to sit on the lavvy  . .   em, what was the question?

I'm sorry, but we'll need evidence if you want to be considered for the role.

UK Plans to unilaterally impose Steel Tariffs in contravention of WTO rules. From the Independent:

The prime minister is reportedly drawing up plans to slap “safeguard” limits of steel imports from several developing countries, and extend existing tariffs already imposed on China and others.

But critics have warned the move to widen tariffs will “violate” World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules, with the EU ambassador to Britain warning against any “protectionism”. Lord Geidt, the PM’s ex-ethics adviser, cited steel tariff plans in his resignation letter earlier this month – saying he had been put in the “odious position” of being asked to license a breach of the rules.

The PM added: “The difficulty is, is that possible to do while staying within our WTO, our World Trade Organisation obligations? That’s the problem. But these are tough choices that you have to make.”

Steel tariffs to be extended despite WTO rules, Boris Johnson indicates | Politics | The Guardian

10 minutes ago, Zern said:

UK Plans to unilaterally impose Steel Tariffs in contravention of WTO rules. From the Independent:

Steel tariffs to be extended despite WTO rules, Boris Johnson indicates | Politics | The Guardian

Interesting. 

Hilariously hypocritical of the EU to warn against "protectionism" 

Good to see the UK standing up to those b*****d developing countries and Labour in meek agreement. 

Just now, coprolite said:

Interesting. 

Hilariously hypocritical of the EU to warn against "protectionism" 

Good to see the UK standing up to those b*****d developing countries and Labour in meek agreement. 

The countries being targeted so far are China, Turkey and India.

India will not be pleased at all to hear this. Byebye trade deal. Turkey being a NATO member also complicates things.

It really is no way to run a government.

On the EU being protectionist, it's a fair point. It does neglect that the idea behind trading blocs worldwide is to benefit members and disadvantage non-members. In that respect it is protectionist, but doesn't breach WTO or international rules. What the UK is proposing is different.

4 minutes ago, Zern said:

The countries being targeted so far are China, Turkey and India.

India will not be pleased at all to hear this. Byebye trade deal. Turkey being a NATO member also complicates things.

It really is no way to run a government.

On the EU being protectionist, it's a fair point. It does neglect that the idea behind trading blocs worldwide is to benefit members and disadvantage non-members. In that respect it is protectionist, but doesn't breach WTO or international rules. What the UK is proposing is different.

I don't know the details of what the UK is proposing. I'm sure it's a coincidence that Trump got a lot of redneck support from illicit steel protectionism. 

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I don't know the details of what the UK is proposing. I'm sure it's a coincidence that Trump got a lot of redneck support from illicit steel protectionism. 

What the UK is proposing is arbitrarily settings tariffs and ignoring the WTO rules on this thing known as most-favored nation, in that the terms you offer to one must be given to others (unless there is a trade agreement in effect) they are doing what they have done with all their agreements, ignoring the rules written and agreed by themselves. It is becoming something of a hallmark of this UK government.

You are probably correct that they are attempting to shore up votes in certain areas with this announcement, but i doubt it will work. Not least because the amount of people who believe the lying tory scum must surely be diminishing. At least i hope so.

Been looking into the Steel Tariffs thing. 

In 2018, the orange combover stuck 25% on US imports. (against wto rules) 

The EU put retaliatory tarrifs on US exports (allowed) then put safeguards in place from 2019-2022 on third countries to avoid dumping of otherwise US bound goods (hotly contested - found in March to have violated WTO rules in part but met others). 

It is these safeguards that the UK wants to extend. They want to extend them in time and exclude some developing countries from some category exclusions because they exceed minimum quantities. 

The "UK" steel producers they want to protect include Tata (owned by Indian billionaire) and Celsa (owned by Spanish billionaire). 

The price of steel is a driver of inflation. Tariffs will keep prices artificially high. 

33,400 people work in the UK steel industry. 

The WTO seems to have gone relatively easy on the US and EU. Fortunately global Britain should have similar clout and be able to throw her weight around, right? 

Interestingly the quango that was set up to report independently on this has been quite clear that the trade minister has told them what to do and look to be distancing themselves from the conclusions the government has taken from their report. 

I don't think the government is necessarily riding roughshod over international norms here but i'll be amazed if they're not outmanouvred and embarrassed at every turn. 

On 26/06/2022 at 21:29, BFTD said:

I could probably do it if it is only light duties.  Not too busy on Tuesday afternoons.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Government plans to override parts of the Brexit deal relating to Northern Ireland have passed their first hurdle in Parliament.

By 295 votes to 221, MPs gave initial approval to a controversial bill allowing ministers to scrap parts of the Northern Ireland Protocol.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61959526

This part -

'Voting lists showed no Conservative MPs voted against the bill. However during the debate, some joined opposition MPs in warning that the legislation breaches international law.'

So some of these MP's that voted for the bill were not being honest with their vote. I take it they were ordered to vote for it.

So much for democracy.

Party first