Even less of a title race with the return of Rangers

Guest DAVIDB69

I believe that the Dons will end up 2nd this season again. As another poster alluded to though we seem to be flat at the moment, seems like we need something to pick us up and a cup QF win and horsing the tribute act at Pittodrie could be just what we need. 

You can look at the start we've had (on paper quite tough) and say we've only lost once (away to Celtic) or that we've only won once in 5 and appear to be struggling to break teams down. I'm an optimist so prefer to look at it the first way but we certainly need 13 or 14 + points from the next 6 games for the first round of fixtures to be considered remotely successful. 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is no doubt celtic and Aberdeen have had the toughest start to the season in the league so far,looking at aberdeen's start playing st johnstone coming back from Europe was a poor game plus the hearts game but if aberdeen want to be second they need to beat teams like inverness,hearts for me are playing like they want second enjoyed the first game at tynecastle very tough,getting a draw at pittodrie was also good and for me hearts are beating teams they should,rangers are struggling playing like a bottom 6 team,they are on a game by game basis now if they can't beat ross county the shite will hit the fan with aberdeen and hearts to come,it's a pity dundee couldn't keep there best players it would have been more interesting. 

2 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I believe that the Dons will end up 2nd this season again. As another poster alluded to though we seem to be flat at the moment, seems like we need something to pick us up and a cup QF win and horsing the tribute act at Pittodrie could be just what we need. 

You can look at the start we've had (on paper quite tough) and say we've only lost once (away to Celtic) or that we've only won once in 5 and appear to be struggling to break teams down. I'm an optimist so prefer to look at it the first way but we certainly need 13 or 14 + points from the next 6 games for the first round of fixtures to be considered remotely successful. 

:lol:

Aberdeen will not finish second and will not finish above Hearts.

8 hours ago, Elixir said:

:lol:

Aberdeen will not finish second and will not finish above Hearts.

Fair enough if that's your opinion. Perhaps being out of Europe before the season even started has aided hearts' fast start compared to the dons having those extra couple of games. We've faced 4 of the same five teams albeit at differing venues and both face tough away games this weekend. So hearts have clearly made the better start. However, while I don't think we'll have it wrapped up as comfortably this year as last year, with three games to go, I still think we'll be second. 

Let's have a look at Celtic's return after champions league games first before seeing how far ahead they are. If they don't react well it could be interesting.

For Hearts, Rangers are broken as a club Hibs nuked them.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Let's have a look at Celtic's return after champions league games first before seeing how far ahead they are. If they don't react well it could be interesting.

For Hearts, Rangers are broken as a club Hibs nuked them.

They had no issue with a Thursday-Sunday schedule under Deila, struggle to see them dropping points with an extra rest day.

I predicted Aberdeen would be some way off the title picture this season back in July. Last season was the best chance they're ever going to get to win a league, they did not take it. They still haven't sorted out their gubbins defence, although have added some decent attacking depth. They'll be in the race for second but I don't expect anything spectacular from them this season and expect DM to be on his way next year - possibly yo Ibrox. 

Celtic will piss the league. It is already won, and this could actually be the year they do a treble. No one will get anywhere near them this season.

The battle for second between Hearts, Aberdeen & Rangers however should be fun. Rangers at present are mince and have made an arse of their recruitment this summer. Them finishing 4th would not surprise me.

17 hours ago, gannonball said:

I think Hearts will take second, biggest fight will be between Sevco and Aberdeen for 3rd.

I think the age and fitness of their recent recruits is going to tell over the season.  Bookings and injuries, together with tiredness will take their toll and their challenge will fall away.  Making the top 6 is going to be their big challenge.

Celtic have a great squad this season and look a step ahead of all the other teams.

I think it'll be Aberdeen and us looking at second and third although I wouldn't rule out a strong challenge from elsewhere - there is often a surprise team that comes and has a good season, with a high table finish.

The idea that Rangers has any place in a discussion about top three in this league is laughable, they are dreadful and making top 6 will be an achievement for them this season.

Celtic do look excellent, can't see anyone really running them close.

Rangers in the Old Firm game reminded me of Celtic 20-25 years ago under Liam Brady and Lou Macari, powderpuff and weak but capable of the odd piece of decent passing to no real end.  Very poor.

Hearts shellacked us and looked impressive whereas Aberdeen have had a slow start.  I think they'll move more into their stride in the next few weeks though.

From what I have seen so far, Celtic are a fair bit ahead of the rest. Hearts should be disappointed if they don't finish second. Aberdeen have not impressed me so far this year but with Hayes finding fitness they should offer more going forward. Rangers will probably finish fourth but I can see Hearts in particular having a lot of fun playing against that defence.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Rangers in the Old Firm game reminded me of Celtic 20-25 years ago under Liam Brady and Lou Macari, powderpuff and weak but capable of the odd piece of decent passing to no real end.  Very poor.

I think that's a good point - the quality of player in those Celtic teams is pretty similar to what Rangers have now. 

The fact is that Rangers have spent a *lot* of money (in wages as much as transfer fees) by the standards of any other team in the league bar Celtic but in going for the superannuated "big names" instead of lesser known but more effective players, they have not only played right into Celtic's hands but Hearts and Aberdeen's too....

Since this version of Rangers emerged, the one constant has been their ability to get *appalling* value for money....

Archived