Asher's Bakery Belfast - Lose Court Appeal Over Gay Wedding Cake.

RedRob72

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I am absolutely delighted by this decision I hope the c***s are bankrupted by the court costs and are driven out of business.

A good day for progressive thinking and a bad one for homophobes, homophobe apologists and sky-fairy fuckwits.

Sky fairy fuckwits?

I love the way the religious among us consider themselves to be discriminated against if they are denied the right to discriminate against others. 

On this occasion it may have been better to encourage gay people, the families of gay people, those who have gay friends and those who are just non-c***s to boycott the holy cake shop instead of the whole court thing as there's nothing that mob enjoy more than a feeling of martyrdom.

I love the way the religious among us consider themselves to be discriminated against if they are denied the right to discriminate against others. 

On this occasion it may have been better to encourage gay people, the families of gay people, those who have gay friends and those who are just non-c***s to boycott the holy cake shop instead of the whole court thing as there's nothing that mob enjoy more than a feeling of martyrdom.

The worst kind of homophobe is the kind that hides their homophobia behind religion.

5 minutes ago, Romeo said:

No we don't agree.

You're confusing me, should bakers be forced to decorate their cakes with all propaganda whatever their beliefs?

#cakegate #firsttheycameforthebakers

7 minutes ago, Walter said:

I don't see that at all.  Perhaps you could point out recent threads where 'the religious' think they have carte blanche?  I don't see any posters condemning gay marriage either.

I'm not religious and have no problem with the cake message.  I would object to some messages, though.  Were I in TFS would this judgement force me to write whatever message the messenger requested?  

Some quotes from the owners: 

"I think it's fair to say it's been a hard time, but God has been our rock, and it's just through our trust in him that we've been able to be unshaken and unmoved by it.

"He's really used this time to strengthen our faith in him, and that's only been a good thing for us as individuals, for our marriage and for our family." 

:lol:

Would love it (Kevin Keegan style) if a relative of theirs came out at some point.

I don't see that at all.  Perhaps you could point out recent threads where 'the religious' think they have carte blanche?  I don't see any posters condemning gay marriage either.

I'm not religious and have no problem with the cake message.  I would object to some messages, though.  Were I in TFS would this judgement force me to write whatever message the messenger requested?  

I don't think he was meaning P&B but more society as a whole.

But then again you're probably pissed again.

18 minutes ago, Walter said:

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

I don't think he was meaning P&B but more society as a whole.

But then again you're probably pissed again.

That would be even more stupid than my interpretation.  Then again, thinking has never been your strong suit.

I think that's the way I would look at things. I am concerned as I disagree with the baker's decision, I disagree with their opposition to equal marriage, but I disagree more with their freedom to refuse to make a cake bearing a logo of something they disagree with.

If I were a baker there would be a lot of issues I would be unwilling to make a cake in favour of. Banning abortion, opposition to gay rights, anything racist, anything calling Tony Blair a war criminal, anything sexist, or what I would deem to be prejudiced, anything that I find personally abhorrent, and I would wish to be able to refuse to make such cakes. I think if I am to enjoy that freedom, so too should people whose views I disagree with.

With the gay couple at the b&b situation I would very much side with the gay couple as in that case they are being refused service. Similarly if this customer came in and just wanted to buy a plain cake and was refused, I would be very much opposed to the bakery and would support fines against them. In this case however I think the wrong decision was made.

That would be even more stupid than my interpretation.  Then again, thinking has never been your strong suit.

I would actually make perfect sense. But you know that now and will just pile in with insults as a way of covering up being a complete jakey.

15 minutes ago, Walter said:

there's nothing that mob enjoy more than a feeling of martyrdom.

A sentiment which applies to Christians and gays alike - both have a bizarre masochistic streak when it comes to persecution, bemoaning it whilst looking for it at every opportunity. In fact, the more each seem to look for opportunities to be "victims" of the other, the more it's like some bizarre mass S/M relationship played out through the legislature, courts & media of the land. All that's needed is for that c**nt Tuppy Owens to turn up.

Just now, Romeo said:

But you know that now and will just pile in with insults

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

as a way of covering up being a complete jakey.

5 minutes ago, Romeo said:

you're probably pissed again.

Imagine just piling in with insults...

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The sentance you quoted wasn't necessarily cake related, more of a general observation. I made my point about this particular matter in second sentance. 

From what I read earlier, all parties accepted the bakers didn't know about the persuasion of the person who ordered the cake. They aren't refusing to sell any food to LGBT people.

They declined this particular order due to the message... "Support Gay Marriage - Queerspace" with a couple of childrens TV characters... which they felt conflicted with their beliefs.

It was decided this was in itself still unlawful discrimination.

If it becomes a precedent, it redefines someone's ability to accept/decline business - in the literal sense 'discriminate' - on grounds of conscience.

Printers wouldn't be able to decline orders from anti-immigrant organisations; advertisers decline space to extremist political groups; and so on. That's a new development.

It cuts both ways anyway - it so happens this case was this way around.

If applied equitably, an LGBT baker can be required to produce a cake with an anti-LGBT message they find distressing or offensive.

Cinemas which refused a Church of England website ad last Christmas as the inclusion of the Lord's Prayer 'potentially causes offence to others' would be on even shakier ground.

I'm of the opinion that this should never have went to court in the first place. They should have respected the bakers reasons for the refusal. This was' t discrimination . This was a party acting out their beliefs wether you agree or disagree with them. I think the gay community here have seen an opportunity of publicity here and went for it. These bakers should be left alone with their beliefs. Nobody has to shop there.

Archived