The Pars vs The Rovers part Deux: The quickening

Happy enough with a point in the end. Callachan's shot from the Stewart cut back and the one where he sclaffed it wide when the goalie was nowhere probably our best efforts. Dunfermline will maybe feel as though they had the better of the game but we defended well and Clark and El Alagui didn't offer much.

Just heard on the radio that the point keeps us in the play offs whilst it drops Pars to 9th, so definitely a good point for us.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a wide player in instead of Matthews for the next game. It's not his fault, he's putting the effort in, but he's not a wide player and it's totally stifling us going forward.

Big Jean was imperious today, probably the best player in red.

Very impressed with Davidson in these last few games too. Thrown in at right back, but he's done very well.

Fantastic performance from us. Finally we have a solid looking side. If only we played more football, raith looked a bit lost and resorted to hoofball and timewasting.

Geggan and Higgy were brilliant and the midfield looked pretty solid. Only down side was the finishing. 

9 minutes ago, Raith25 said:

One of the worst games I've seen this season, brutal

So you must have missed last week's assault on the fitba' senses at Stark's Park?

Mind you, in fairness, I've been informed this was 'worser'.:unsure:

Much improved from us. Thought Nat, Geggan, Higgy and Herron all played well especially. I'm near enough level with the goal line in the NW and I was celebrating that chance Clark had. Thought it went in! Unbelievable clearance.

Probably the better team and I'm disappointed not to get all the 3 points. Raith only looked likely to score from a defensive mistake. Nothing was getting by Mvoto and we were failing to understand that.

Only negative is that we're 9th now. If we keep playing like that and get a stronger defence then surely we'll start winning games.

To be fair to Dunfermline they looked decent in the wide areas and in the middle. Clark was powder puff but Farid looks like he a has a bit of quality. That back line is comedy, though and if we were going to score today it was going to be as a direct result of that.

Top marks for some of the best seethe I've ever seen from that wee section closest to us up the right hand side, over what seemed to be throw ins. Several people charging down rows and hanging over the board to berate the linesman, leading to a load more stewards having to be deployed in front of them. Did something else happen that we missed?

Callachan really needs to work on his shooting.

We really, really, really miss Bobby Barr. Without him we're all long balls and huff and puff, with little end product.

Dunfermljne weren't as bad as I hoped they'd be, but they were still there for the taking, so I'm slightly disappointed. Then I remember that a draw at EEP was even a good result back in the days of Jimmy Nic.

That was a terrible, terrible game of football. I think I caught Higginbotham looking like he might be a footballer at some point, but the rest of the players on the park soon reigned him in.

Good save from Cuthbert in the first half. Magnificent clearance from Davidson in the second half. Ross Callachan missed two howlers. Mark Stewart toe bashed the games best opportunity out wide to our left back. And M'Voto is a machine.

Rubbish but I guess we didn't lose.

Just shows how bad we've been that we're taking today's performance as a positive. 

For the first 30 minutes not one Dunfermline player looked as if he'd ever seen a football in his life before. Particularly the back 4. Martin and Ashcroft are fucking hopeless. I'm not sure they connected with a single header competently all game. Laughable. 

A game of football threatened to break out in the last 15 mins of the first half and in spells in the second, it never materialised though. 

A point a piece is more than each side deserve for that spectacle tbh. 

Without Bobby Barr were as bad as Dunfermline and the two poor sides cancelled each other out with very little quality on show. I'm almost glad I can't make the next few games after the last couple. 

Just now, roverthemoon said:

We were just hitting it long too much with zero end product. Forgettable stuff

In fairness that was entirely the correct approach for Raith to take. Time after time our defenders resembled brain damaged pigeons when trying to deal with high balls. 

Going thro 'a bad spell and still taking points, THAT can't be bad!!    Last Saturday night was absolutely dreadful, wished I'd stayed at home, at least I'd have been able to change channels!! However, we stole 3 points, great. Onwards and upwards.  COYR.

Raith just booted the ball aimlessly into the corner every time they got the ball. Right tactic to me, unlucky not to score a couple as our defence struggle with basic defending.
Big Mvoto was a rock. No nonsense, cleared his lines but was solid. Mom for me.
Davidsons clearance was phenomenal, don't have a clue how he managed to keep that out.
Thought Herron played well and Geggan did a lot better at RB. Higgy played well. Don't understand why AJ didn't make a couple of changes.
Decent point.

The worst aspect of this season has been coming away from games having lost (or drawn) and thinking that the opposition have been pretty poor. I wouldn't mind us being 9th and having been beaten by good teams who work hard to create chances but I can count on one hand the number of times I've left a game having been impressed by the opponent. Fair play to Raith, they've reached third despite not being playing well by all accounts and even today while they were missing some key players today you wouldn't have thought so as they were so well organised and Davidson's clearance was something else. 

On today's game, while we looked a bit better we (tin hat on) missed Reilly's pace and harrying, we still make schoolboy errors at the back, our set piece delivery is poor and AJ doesn't seem to know that he's allowed to make changes to try and get 3 points from a tight game. There's still hope for us if Morton can get to fourth (Morton! Fourth!) and if we get a win from somewhere you sense the confidence  will increase and we might start picking up a few points. As it is though, we're second bottom and only there because St Mirren are properly gubbins. 

Archived