The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

29 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was trying to figure out what "wars" he would have been involved in, too.

Killed spics, injuns and ni**er lovin yankees.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

The worst thing is the reason they supposedly rallied isn't a bad one.  The destruction of the statues of Robert E. Lee is a disgrace.  Yes he was a Confederate General, but he was that only because the Commonwealth of Virgina joined the Confederation of States.  He did not agree with the break up of the US.  He was also a US war hero before and after the Civil War.  

When the US Government was pushing to punish Confederate sympathisers his name was always on the exemption list.  West Point even has a barracks named after him.  

If were to destroy statues of anyone who did something bad or fought for something questionable then pretty sure almost all historic figures who have statues across the world will require to be removed.  

22 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Mexican-American War.  

So just a war hero before the Civil War, then.

No he didn't lose the tag after the Civil War.  Even in the North.  

But then again if we are to do away with statues of people who either sold, bought or owned slaves then Grant (the famed Union Commander) and pretty much most of all presidents before Lincoln (who would have not stoped the owning of slaves if he thought he could get away with it) owned more slaves than Lee.  In fact Lee's wife was instrumental of helping former slaves escape, many to Liberia.  He also helped finance his wife's school for slaves on his Plantation.  

Believe it or not, not everyone on both sides were either anti-slavery (if you fought for the Union) or pro-slavery (fought for the Confederates) 

Edited by Antiochas III

I may be wrong but didn't Lincoln offer Lee command of the Union army. After much heart searching he declined because his was a southern state.

I suppose it would be much like offering a Scot command of the English army if they were going to war. Not a great analogy I know but the closest I could think of.

5 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

I may be wrong but didn't Lincoln offer Lee command of the Union army. After much heart searching he declined because his was a southern state.

I suppose it would be much like offering a Scot command of the English army if they were going to war. Not a great analogy I know but the closest I could think of.

It would be a bit like offering an Irish republican the post of Deputy First Minister in a partionist Stormont.

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It would be a bit like offering an Irish republican the post of Deputy First Minister in a partionist Stormont.

That's possibly a better analogy.

I do get the impression that American history is being altered and distorted to suit 21st century agendas.

Has probably ever been thus?

Guest Bob Mahelp

Good Guardian article here.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/commentisfree/2017/aug/13/the-guardian-view-on-donald-trump-and-racism-a-moral-failure-that-shames-america

Matters not if it's the USA or the UK. The rise of the far right will ALWAYS signal a rise in hatred intolerance and violence. 

Where the US leads, Britain follows. We're simply 2 or 3 steps behind them at this time.

I despair.

It's a bit ironic that 70 odd years after the end of WW2 Germany appears to be the voice of reason and moderation in the west!

There was a story earlier of an American tourist in Germany throwing out a Nazi salute.
He got the shit kicked out of him by some locals.

5 minutes ago, mjw said:

There was a story earlier of an American tourist in Germany throwing out a Nazi salute.
He got the shit kicked out of him by some locals.

Quite right too.  If they want to make Nazi salutes let them make them in their own country where they belong.

I'm all for free speech in most cases but stopping anything that celebrates the Nazis is more important to me than protecting the freedom of speech of people with those views. What the Nazis did was so unbelievably abhorrent that the offence and harm celebrating them causes is more than the harm caused by prohibiting that part of freedom of speech. f**k Nazis, f**k anyone who supports the Nazis, does Nazi salutes, waves swastikas or sympathises with their world view.

Who would have thought that teenagers on 4chan could resurrect a dead political philosophy and troll America into voting for Trump, and place their Daddy Bannon in the Whitehouse at his ear. It was more than that obviously, but it wasn't the hard placed American worker laid off because of foreigners automation that sparked off the alt right cult, it was nerds who hated the fact that girls didn't like them.

Who would have thought that teenagers on 4chan could resurrect a dead political philosophy and troll America into voting for Trump, and place their Daddy Bannon in the Whitehouse at his ear. It was more than that obviously, but it wasn't the hard placed American worker laid off because of foreigners automation that sparked off the alt right cult, it was nerds who hated the fact that girls didn't like them.

Is 4chan not a website that does memes and other young people stuff I don't really understand? What have they got to do with Trump?