The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

I rarely get mad about politics and always try to remember that the point is to convince other people to change their minds and not mistreat them. This is testing my limits. I think some Democrats might have literally gone mad. Trump must have broken their brains or something.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/madison-mayor-paul-soglin-orders-removal-of-confederate-monuments-at/article_0cd509e6-3b6b-56ab-b05c-c693d84de05d.html

Confederate POWs died of disease at a camp in Madison, Wisconsin. They were put in a mass grave. A marker was placed their to honor them. It's now been removed.

Before removal

Former location of plaque

http://www.wbur.org/artery/2017/08/16/boston-confederate-monument

Same deal in Boston. They have a monument to 13 Confederate soldiers who died there as POWs. At least there's not dead bodies below this monument, I suppose. 

The memorial for Confederate soldiers on Georges Island -- seen on the left before it was covered, and on the right after it was boarded up. (Courtesy Ron Cogswell/Flickr and Adam Gaffin)

Look at the hatred of the white people and an obviously mentally ill black lady. Do we really want these people in charge of our society?

This peaceful demonstrator who from this video looks like a nice young man has been kicked out of his conservative Christian university right before his senior year after this video went viral.

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2017/08/18/confederate-demonstrator-kicked-out-pensacola-christian-college/579978001/

Meanwhile, in Durham, NC a communist party member has been charged with felonies because she led a mob which illegally toppled a memorial to Confederate soldiers.

photo_83219_landscape_850x566.jpg

Her university is planning on giving her a scholarship.

13 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

It's very, very likely that not a single one of those soldiers owned a slave. They were captured by an invading army near their own home. Not quite so simple.

It was a slave economy in the South.

No slaves, no war.

28 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

It's very, very likely that not a single one of those soldiers owned a slave. They were captured by an invading army near their own home. Not quite so simple.

Thought Wisconsin fought for the North?

In a January 1863 letter to his sister, Union soldier Chauncey Herbert Cooke, a private from Company G of the 25th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment, gave his reasons for fighting for the Union in the war, stating that "I have no heart in this war if the slaves cannot go free."[2][3][4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_in_the_American_Civil_War

Though I agree with you, I can see why Bannon is delighted by Trump's trolling, the reaction from Democrats has been to fuel the alt reich. Ripping out  monuments for the war dead is not the way to counter white nationalists. I doubt many confederate soldiers considered the social issues before they went to war, my Dad hadn't heard of the death camps when he was conscripted for WW2.

http://www.wisconsingazette.com/news/a-confederate-memorial-in-a-union-stronghold/article_72bd8158-7ecf-11e7-96af-836550738b8d.html

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, EdgarusQPFC said:

Only a small percentage of people owned slaves, the rich and wealthy, I wonder how many of them went off to fight that war? 

How many people owned land in Poland, were descended from people who owned land in Poland or thought they would own lebensraum n Poland went into the Wermacht of 1939. 

12 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Only a small percentage of people owned slaves, the rich and wealthy, I wonder how many of them went off to fight that war? 

Good point. How come they didn't complain about scrounging slaves bringing down wages and join up with the North?

Worth remembering that most of those who fought and died for the Confederate States were conscripts. The draft dodgers, those who paid not to fight for the union (basically anybody wealthy enough) were just as morally corrupt as anybody fighting for the south. It wasn't so easy to avoid the draft in the south as it was the north.

I can't agree with the desecration of Confederate war graves. We have a few thousand NAZI war graves here in the U.K. While it's undeniable a portion of these were probably nasty men and helped to enable all the worst horrors of WWII a portion will be normal people who fought on that side due to an accident of birth. For that reason we're not toppling these graves. I believe the same is true of the Confederate soldiers. The destruction of those statues glorifying Confederate leaders is an entirely different matter.

Good point. How come they didn't complain about scrounging slaves bringing down wages and join up with the North?

If I remember correctly New York State was very close to joining with the South. Largely due to the Irish immigrant population's fears of freed slaves coming north and undercutting them in the labour market.