The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The democrats have cunted this up and they're political game playing will allow the republicans to stand firm and get this rapist confirmed.

Not sure about that, but what a insane system where the facts of a teenage sexual assault allegation are argued by geriatric and partisan politicians on live tv.

Not sure about that, but what a insane system where the facts of a teenage sexual assault allegation are argued by geriatric and partisan politicians on live tv.
What bit?

Do you think this will bring him down?

Or are you defending the dems handling?

For me the fact that they sat on this allegation whilst the private hearing was going on is pretty damning. It allows Lyndsay fucking Graham to take the moral high ground! Jesus wept.

Even if the allegations are false, he's shown with his conduct that he's absolutely not qualified to be an actual Supreme Court  justice for the next 25+ years. 
There's absolutely no chink in the republicans in the committee though. They seem like they're lined up right behind him - and are willing to push it through.

There's probably a sense that the midterms are going to be shit for them anyway so they might as well push this confirmation through come hell or high water.

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

What bit?

Do you think this will bring him down?

Or are you defending the dems handling?

For me the fact that they sat on this allegation whilst the private hearing was going on is pretty damning. It allows Lyndsay fucking Graham to take the moral high ground! Jesus wept.

She asked to be kept anonymous, but I agree the Dems were being cynical by using it to try to stall the nomination until after the midterms. The Republicans stalled the Democrat nominee for a year before Trump, so they thought it was fair game. I doubt he'll get nominated, but putting private sexual disputes on a reality tv show with unqualified politicians being the judges just seems perverse.

She asked to be kept anonymous, but I agree the Dems were being cynical by using it to try to stall the nomination until after the midterms. The Republicans stalled the Democrat nominee for a year before Trump, so they thought it was fair game. I doubt he'll get nominated, but putting private sexual disputes on a reality tv show with unqualified politicians being the judges just seems perverse.
The fact that the republicans are so shocked at the political gamesmanship of the democrats is truly hilarious.

They openly stalled an entire presidency, never mind a supreme court pick.

The whole thing has been OJ levels of fascination. Incredible stuff.

Even if the allegations are false, he's shown with his conduct that he's absolutely not qualified to be an actual Supreme Court  justice for the next 25+ years. 

Right. In the court of public opinion, I’m not quite sure if that could have gone any worse for the Republicans.

9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

There's absolutely no chink in the republicans in the committee though. They seem like they're lined up right behind him - and are willing to push it through.

There's probably a sense that the midterms are going to be shit for them anyway so they might as well push this confirmation through come hell or high water.

It still has to go through the full Senate.  Would only take a couple of dissenters to kibosh it.

In the silence that followed, you could hear Republicans gasping for air as they calculated the political cost of this nomination. What was larger? The number of votes they were losing among women versus the number of votes they would lose among Trump fanatics by putting this flatlining nomination out of its misery.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/27/brett-kavanaugh-credibility-devastating-hearing

The Trump fans will take almost any political hit to get an anti abortion pro gun bum on the bench. The  Senate will push Kavanaugh through because dropping him on a womans word against his own would be toxic for their base. 

Whether moderate voters look at this as a plague on all their houses or are more motivated to throw a brick through the window of the Trumpification of US politics will become clear in November. 

I fucking love the New Yorker. Almost all these "live" stories on the papers websites like The Grauns MBM are just filler and boring as f**k. The New Yorker? Just get yer staff to come up with short, sharp opinion pieces analysing the day's happenings. They were on fire yesterday.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/current