The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

This is a lose/lose for Trump and the Republicans.

If evidence is not uncovered there will still be a cloud hanging over the appointment and people will look at the way Kavanaugh behaved and the way women who make such accusations are treated.

If ANY evidence is uncovered that paints Kavanaugh in a poor light it will backlash against the nomination, Trump’s supportive comments and the Republican Party since they approved the nomination.

I'm amazed that protesters are allowed to wander about the Capitol building and harangue Senators in lifts, and chant in committee rooms.  No way could you do that in Westminster. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, Susan Collins had to be driven away in a police car.

23 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm amazed that protesters are allowed to wander about the Capitol building and harangue Senators in lifts, and chant in committee rooms.  No way could you do that in Westminster. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, Susan Collins had to be driven away in a police car.

You could be on to something here.

Just spent four days in Washington DC.  Surprising how easy it was to gain access to important places.
Guided tour of the Capital building including the rotunda just below the giant dome that everybody knows about.
US politicians in Washington have to wander amongst the tourists.  The speaker of the house has an office just off the rotunda.

It is very easy to criticise America for where they get it wrong but in some instances they are better than us.
The goverment is "of the people and for the people" and as such the American people who collectively are the owners of these buildings cannot be easily denied access to these buildings.
(Obviously it is not entirely like that but that is the intention).

By comparison, we have no goverment.  It is Her Majesty's Government and we are not entitled to anything.

On the day, I was able to enter the building where Cavanaugh was.  I went to same floor and could have entered the gallery except that it was fully crowded (a case of 1 out and then 1 in).

I can't imagine anything like that happening in the UK.

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Just spent four days in Washington DC.  Surprising how easy it was to gain access to important places.
Guided tour of the Capital building including the rotunda just below the giant dome that everybody knows about.
US politicians in Washington have to wander amongst the tourists.  The speaker of the house has an office just off the rotunda.

It is very easy to criticise America for where they get it wrong but in some instances they are better than us.
The goverment is "of the people and for the people" and as such the American people who collectively are the owners of these buildings cannot be easily denied access to these buildings.

By comparison, we have no goverment.  It is Her Majesty's Government and we are not entitled to anything.

On the day, I was able to enter the building where Cavanaugh was.  I went to same floor and could have entered the gallery except that it was fully crowded (a case of 1 out and then 1 in).

that is a bit much

Edited by Jambo99

10 hours ago, Fullerene said:

The Capitol in Washington is an essential visit for anyone with a passing interest in US politics.  Couple that with a trip to the National Archives and the Smithsonian, and I'm completely in my element.  It's all very much "for the people", although not really as it's all built with marble and gold.

23 hours ago, dorlomin said:

Irrespective of the allegation, Kavanaugh should be disqualified on the basis of his insane yelling and crying.  I don't want that kind of character in any kind of judicial position, let alone the Supreme Court.

23 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Irrespective of the allegation, Kavanaugh should be disqualified on the basis of his insane yelling and crying.  I don't want that kind of character in any kind of judicial position, let alone the Supreme Court.

Also, perhaps most importantly, his bizarre threat of retribution and claiming it was a political setup which isn't really befitting of a judge of the SC.

10 hours ago, Jambo99 said:

that is a bit much

I was referring to government buildings.

The Americans take the view that the American Government belongs to the American people and therefore any US citizens can visit any US government building unless there is a good reason why they cannot.
You can visit the Capitol building, the White House, the FBI and the Pentagon.
Some of these have a formal process but it can be done even if for no reason other than curiousity.
You cannot visit the CIA but they do provide a virtual tour.

In the UK, it is not your government, it is Her Majesty's government - a subtle distinction.
Although you do have access to some buildings such as the House of Commons - it is not the same level of access for all buildings as it is in the USA.
Nor can you demand it as a British Citizen because actually you are a British Subject.

If you disagree, ask for a tour of 10 Downing Street or MI5.

8 hours ago, dorlomin said:

SCOTUS case Gamble vs. U.S., No. 17-646

If passed it will allow the president to pardon state level crimes. 

It comes up in a few weeks. Thus the desperation to get rapey Kavenaugh on the bench. 

Don’t know where you found this but that is fascinating.

It is also bizarre given how federal and state powers have been demarcated and protected in the past.