General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

8 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

There's a PS1 game that looks remarkably similar to that, which I cannot for the life of me remember the name of.

There was a "Strike" game on the PS1, Soviet Strike.  I can't mind if it was any good or not.

7 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

There was a "Strike" game on the PS1, Soviet Strike.  I can't mind if it was any good or not.

Yes! That's the one. I remember it being good, but I was 5 when it came out, so I very much doubt it is.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Yes! That's the one. I remember it being good, but I was 5 when it came out, so I very much doubt it is.

There might have been more, I can't quite remember tho. 

On 21/06/2024 at 09:34, KnightswoodBear said:

On 21/06/2024 at 17:15, Mr. Brightside said:

On 21/06/2024 at 17:35, KnightswoodBear said:

There might have been more, I can't quite remember tho. 

Soviet strike and nuclear strike both out on the ps1 iirc, never tried nuclear, but soviet i had and it was baws hard man, like literally even on easy mode it was fucking rock solid, think i got to second last map (not mission, just map) and could never finish the missions so whacked on the action replay and cheated the arse right out of it lol

Was a cracking looking game for the time as well

• 1 month later...

I need help. I realised the other day that it felt like it's been a long time since I actually enjoyed playing a game. So I checked and I discovered that yes, I have actually played very few games in the past year that I've enjoyed. Here's the list starting from last August:

Spoiler

Alan Wake - boring, stupid, a pain to play

Transistor - good, enjoyed

Endling: Extinction is Forever - cute but boring

Hotline Miami 1/2 - technically good, but frustrating by its nature and I never finished them

WRC 9 - not as good as 8 which I'd played recently

Trials of the Blood Dragon - didn't finish it and Trials seems like something I like the idea of more than the thing itself

Dishonored - felt too familiar despite it being several years since I played the PS3 version, recognise that it's objectively good but didn't connect with it and also didn't finish it

Disney Speedstorm - enjoyed playing this every day for several months before I eventually stopped myself because it was being ruined by its devs and making me unhappy and no amount of Kermit could fix that

Super Woden GP - very frustrating arcade racing experience

Lego 2K Drive - not only a bad game, an insult to the first PlayStation game I ever played that shaped my opinion on everything since

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - boring generic garbage that made me long for the boring generic smug garbage of Uncharted

Dirt 5 - boring

Kentucky Route Zero - pretentious and boring

Anthem - I will take the blame for this

The Witness - I did enjoy most of this but I couldn't finish the last challenge and couldn't make myself try to finish it

Trackmania - technically not finished but repetitive and frustrating when it doesn't go well

RiMS Racing - motorbike racing but very tedious and unrefined and just a grind eventually

Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier - good

CastleStorm - cheap version of Angry Birds

Death's Door - fine, but not for me

Metro Exodus - boring, unengaging and dumber that it should be

Borderlands 2 - finished a grind that felt like it lasted years

Daxter - good

NHL 24 - trying to win a Ones tournament actually gave me a sense of purpose, but my forays into Be a Pro and Franchise mode have told me that the 15 year wait since my last game may have been a bit too long

Gone Home - good, I liked it

My big problem seems like the games that I've spent the most time on have done nothing for me - Tomb Raider, Anthem, RiMS, Metro Exodus, all taking up huge amounts of time while being completely unrewarding. I think this has made me reluctant to start anything because... am I going to go through the same thing? Can I just find something that I can enjoy that isn't a walking sim or a PSP game?

The help I need is I don't know what to play next that I might actually enjoy, so here's a list of everything that I can play. What do you recommend?

Spoiler

Alien: Isolation

Batman: Arkham City

Bayonetta

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Bound

Downwell

GTA Vice City

GTA San Andreas

Iconoclasts

Rollerdrome

Axiom Verge 2

Biomutant

Code Vein

Control

Crash Bandicoot trilogy

Curse of the Dead Gods

Days Gone

Enter the Gungeon

Evil West

Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion

Fallout 76

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Generation Zero

Granblue Fantasy: Versus

Heavenly Bodies

Hello Neighbour 2

Hitman 2

Hollow Knight

Just Cause 4

Kingdoms of Amalur

Lego Harry Potter

Middle-earth Shadow of War

Neon Chrome

Nioh

Nobody Saves the World

Rainbow Moon

Remnant: From the Ashes

Rogue Legacy

Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Saints Row

Sifu

Skul

Slay the Spire

Subnautica

Superhot

Tails of Iron

Team Sonic Racing

The Surge

Thumper

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

Trek to Yomi

Tribes of Midgard

Tunic

Vampyr

Vanquish

Weird West

Yakuza Kiwami

Yakuza: Like a Dragon

I just want something that's going to be fun mechanically, have an engaging world and characters if there are any and for it to not feel as if it's taking years to finish it. If there's anything in that list you can recommend or anything else you think is worthwhile that's relatively cheap, please share. I'm at the point where I really need it.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

19 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I need help. I realised the other day that it felt like it's been a long time since I actually enjoyed playing a game. So I checked and I discovered that yes, I have actually played very few games in the past year that I've enjoyed. Here's the list starting from last August:

Hide contents

Hotline Miami 1/2 - technically good, but frustrating by its nature and I never finished them

Trials of the Blood Dragon - didn't finish it and Trials seems like something I like the idea of more than the thing itself

Dishonored - felt too familiar despite it being several years since I played the PS3 version, recognise that it's objectively good but didn't connect with it and also didn't finish it

Disney Speedstorm - enjoyed playing this every day for several months before I eventually stopped myself because it was being ruined by its devs and making me unhappy and no amount of Kermit could fix that

Lego 2K Drive - not only a bad game, an insult to the first PlayStation game I ever played that shaped my opinion on everything since

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - boring generic garbage that made me long for the boring generic smug garbage of Uncharted

Dirt 5 - boring

The Witness - I did enjoy most of this but I couldn't finish the last challenge and couldn't make myself try to finish it

Trackmania - technically not finished but repetitive and frustrating when it doesn't go well

RiMS Racing - motorbike racing but very tedious and unrefined and just a grind eventually

Daxter - good

NHL 24 - trying to win a Ones tournament actually gave me a sense of purpose, but my forays into Be a Pro and Franchise mode have told me that the 15 year wait since my last game may have been a bit too long

My big problem seems like the games that I've spent the most time on have done nothing for me - Tomb Raider, Anthem, RiMS, Metro Exodus, all taking up huge amounts of time while being completely unrewarding. I think this has made me reluctant to start anything because... am I going to go through the same thing? Can I just find something that I can enjoy that isn't a walking sim or a PSP game?

The help I need is I don't know what to play next that I might actually enjoy, so here's a list of everything that I can play. What do you recommend?

Hide contents

Bayonetta

Bound

Downwell

GTA Vice City

GTA San Andreas

Iconoclasts

Rollerdrome

Axiom Verge 2

Biomutant

Code Vein

Control

Crash Bandicoot trilogy

Curse of the Dead Gods

Days Gone

Enter the Gungeon

Evil West

Fallout 76

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Generation Zero

Heavenly Bodies

Hello Neighbour 2

Hitman 2

Hollow Knight

Just Cause 4

Kingdoms of Amalur

Lego Harry Potter

Neon Chrome

Nioh

Nobody Saves the World

Rainbow Moon

Rogue Legacy

Saints Row

Sifu

Skul

Slay the Spire

Subnautica

Superhot

Tails of Iron

Team Sonic Racing

The Surge

Thumper

Trek to Yomi

Tribes of Midgard

Tunic

Vampyr

Vanquish

Weird West

Yakuza Kiwami

I just want something that's going to be fun mechanically, have an engaging world and characters if there are any and for it to not feel as if it's taking years to finish it. If there's anything in that list you can recommend or anything else you think is worthwhile that's relatively cheap, please share. I'm at the point where I really need it.

Spiderman series from insomniac on ps5

Only one I've played from your list was Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and I thought it was excellent. Good combat, easy controls, really good story and not massively, massively long. The sequel Rebirth is an even better game overall, but, depending how you play it, it can be a very, very long game. Think with all the side quests, etc done I was 100 hours +. Very much worth it though, IMO.

On 26/07/2024 at 17:55, Miguel Sanchez said:

Reveal hidden contents

Dirt 5 - boring

Daxter - good

Reveal hidden contents

Bayonetta

Bound

Downwell

GTA Vice City

GTA San Andreas

Iconoclasts

Rollerdrome

Axiom Verge 2

Biomutant

Code Vein

Control

Crash Bandicoot trilogy

Curse of the Dead Gods

Days Gone

Enter the Gungeon

Evil West

Fallout 76

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Generation Zero

Heavenly Bodies

Hello Neighbour 2

Hitman 2

Hollow Knight

Just Cause 4

Kingdoms of Amalur

Lego Harry Potter

Neon Chrome

Nioh

Nobody Saves the World

Rainbow Moon

Rogue Legacy

Saints Row

Sifu

Skul

Slay the Spire

Subnautica

Superhot

Tails of Iron

Team Sonic Racing

The Surge

Thumper

Trek to Yomi

Tribes of Midgard

Tunic

Vampyr

Vanquish

Weird West

Yakuza Kiwami

For serious gaming, Alien Isolation, especially if you like the films. Best played in the dark. 

For casual gaming, Tony Hawks 1 (or 2). Fun to play with great game mechanics that are really easy to pick up but difficult enough to master that there's a challenge and nice feeling of achievement when you pull off some sick combos. 

Somewhere in between, Hollow Knight. I haven't played it, but Homer Jnr has completed it and is a big fan. Again, fun to play but with a bit of a challenge to it

Edited by Homer Thompson

Reveal hidden contents

Dirt 5 - boring

Daxter - good

Hide contents

Bayonetta

Bound

Downwell

GTA Vice City

GTA San Andreas

Iconoclasts

Rollerdrome

Axiom Verge 2

Biomutant

Code Vein

Control

Crash Bandicoot trilogy

Curse of the Dead Gods

Days Gone

Enter the Gungeon

Evil West

Fallout 76

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Generation Zero

Heavenly Bodies

Hello Neighbour 2

Hitman 2

Hollow Knight

Just Cause 4

Kingdoms of Amalur

Lego Harry Potter

Neon Chrome

Nioh

Nobody Saves the World

Rainbow Moon

Rogue Legacy

Saints Row

Sifu

Skul

Slay the Spire

Subnautica

Superhot

Tails of Iron

Team Sonic Racing

The Surge

Thumper

Trek to Yomi

Tribes of Midgard

Tunic

Vampyr

Vanquish

Weird West

Yakuza Kiwami

Meant to add another one, x-com 2

Think i do a full run through of this every year without fail, such a varied game where missions are different every single time depending on your team setup, your weaponry and what you need to achieve

If you can get the base game and all dlc for reasonable price your love it

Check it on YouTube to see if its your type of game 

On 27/07/2024 at 13:36, 54_and_counting said:

Spiderman series from insomniac on ps5

Should have added I'm on PS4. I think the Spider-Man games as a whole would appeal to me, but I'm not into superheroes and I didn't like the inFamous games that Insomniac did before, so I'd be wary on this.

11 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Only one I've played from your list was Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and I thought it was excellent. Good combat, easy controls, really good story and not massively, massively long. The sequel Rebirth is an even better game overall, but, depending how you play it, it can be a very, very long game. Think with all the side quests, etc done I was 100 hours +. Very much worth it though, IMO.

I've never played FF7 so I don't know how wise a move this would be. How long did those 100 hours take, out of interest?

5 hours ago, Homer Thompson said:

For serious gaming, Alien Isolation, especially if you like the films. Best played in the dark. 

For casual gaming, Tony Hawks 1 (or 2). Fun to play with great game mechanics that are really easy to pick up but difficult enough to master that there's a challenge and nice feeling of achievement when you pull off some sick combos. 

Somewhere in between, Hollow Knight. I haven't played it, but Homer Jnr has completed it and is a big fan. Again, fun to play but with a bit of a challenge to it

I installed Alien Isolation years ago and never got around to it. THPS is one other people have suggested. I'm not wild on Metroidvanias but I've played a few, and I'm pretty sure there's an invincibility glitch you can do in Hollow Knight.

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Meant to add another one, x-com 2

Think i do a full run through of this every year without fail, such a varied game where missions are different every single time depending on your team setup, your weaponry and what you need to achieve

If you can get the base game and all dlc for reasonable price your love it

Check it on YouTube to see if its your type of game 

I played the first XCOM on PS3 and it never really grabbed me the way it does people. I enjoyed it but I don't even think I got to the end of a campaign. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got an invite to test out Valve's new game Deadlock. Its a 3rd person shooter and MOBA crossover. I thought it was going to be an Overwatch rip-off, but its very, very slanted towards MOBA gameplay. Literally just League of Legends from a single character perspective. Its not for me Clive, far too slow for a shooter game. Maybe LoL players will like it

I can invite people to test it, so if anyone is interested let me know (Steam only obviously)

Edited by Jives Miguel

Hide contents

Dirt 5 - boring

Daxter - good

Hide contents

Bayonetta

Bound

Downwell

GTA Vice City

GTA San Andreas

Iconoclasts

Rollerdrome

Axiom Verge 2

Biomutant

Code Vein

Control

Crash Bandicoot trilogy

Curse of the Dead Gods

Days Gone

Enter the Gungeon

Evil West

Fallout 76

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Generation Zero

Heavenly Bodies

Hello Neighbour 2

Hitman 2

Hollow Knight

Just Cause 4

Kingdoms of Amalur

Lego Harry Potter

Neon Chrome

Nioh

Nobody Saves the World

Rainbow Moon

Rogue Legacy

Saints Row

Sifu

Skul

Slay the Spire

Subnautica

Superhot

Tails of Iron

Team Sonic Racing

The Surge

Thumper

Trek to Yomi

Tribes of Midgard

Tunic

Vampyr

Vanquish

Weird West

Yakuza Kiwami

If you're still looking, I liked Vampyr. Certainly meets the engaging world and characters criteria, and it doesn't take an age to get through. Some folk were critical of the fight mechanics, but there's a rhythm to it and you'll get the idea that there are some areas to leave alone until you've levelled up a bit. I find the massive games difficult these days as I don't have as much time to play as I used to, and I lose track of where I am/have been - not the case here. Plenty to explore, but not too much.

I liked Alien: Isolation too, but I've made two attempts to play through from the beginning and only got about halfway through before drifting away. You need a bit of peace and quiet without distractions. It feels a bit immersive sim-ish, but without the fiddly collecting and stuff that usually comes with the genre.

On 02/08/2024 at 21:11, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've never played FF7 so I don't know how wise a move this would be. How long did those 100 hours take, out of interest?

It was probably over a few months for Rebirth, which is probably why I didn't get bored or resentful of the side quests at any point.

I'd give Remake a go as it's a lot shorter, but is very similar in terms of gameplay, combat, etc, even if it's a bit more linear and less "open world freedom". I very much enjoyed both, although I've also played the original. Remake is very "true to the original", so seeing the story and characters expanded and further fleshed our also added to the experience for me.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.5285dddc565238b68a2a1c2c6651f919.png

tfw you spend 8 years in development & run up costs of around $200 million to spend roughly two weeks as an active game.

Traditional big games development seems completely buggered. Apart from GTA, COD and the big annual sports games, it seems like every other game is a mediocre Metacritic score away from getting their development studio shut down.

Every publisher is desperate to come up with the next Fortnite or Roblox so they can milk microtransactions until the end of time. That just results in mediocre games like Concord that take a hundred years to develop and are dead on arrival.

7 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Traditional big games development seems completely buggered. Apart from GTA, COD and the big annual sports games, it seems like every other game is a mediocre Metacritic score away from getting their development studio shut down.

Not even a good score may necessarily save you, shout out Tango Gameworks (since saved by Krafton).

I feel as if the "eight years" part is being overlooked in Concord. I didn't even realise that until I watched Mystic's video about it. I had never heard of the game until about a month ago. Not only were they chasing a trend that peaked 5-8 years ago, they were chasing a trend where Overwatch had already killed off near enough every other competitor before managing to kill itself off. And they spent 200 million to do it. It's one thing developing and creating interest in a new IP or new concept, but for those eight years people were playing Overwatch and Apex Legends and Valorant and TF2 and Sony still spent 200 million to make a game that served an audience that didn't exist. And they put the characters' pronouns in it.

I also saw a video of it earlier. The only people playing it now are people trying to get the trophies, and it seems the best way to get XP or whatever is to start a match where players only have one life and immediately throw themselves over a ledge and die. A fitting metaphor. 

Big "hey, let's make an MMO and we'll be rich!" vibes around the time that World of Warcraft went into the stratosphere.

For those too young to remember, that went really well for everyone.

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

Big "hey, let's make an MMO and we'll be rich!" vibes around the time that World of Warcraft went into the stratosphere.

For those too young to remember, that went really well for everyone.

I lost years of my life to MMO's, and the only thing that really pulled me out of the funk was total oversaturation and the entire genre being flogged to bits. 

Even now, I'm still on the lookout for something that scratches the itch of old EvE, but more or less everything is just a tired old hotbar style RPG adventure clone, and I'm finding myself playing more and more indi sandbox stuff because they are the only thing that has the sort of shelf-life of a good MMO.

I've got the upcoming Dune thing on watchlist, because the last time I actually went head first into a proper MMO was Amazon's "New World", and it became obvious pretty quickly, like within a month or so of launch, that was going to be an absolute disaster because the Dev crew had no f**king idea what it was they were trying to produce. 

I keep hoping that one day somebody, somewhere, comes up with some good ideas and produces something that had the appeal and longevity of EvE before it got flogged and became a Chinese "pay to win" piece of crap, but I'm not holding out much hope because I have a suspicion the entire concept is dead and wont be revived in any meaningful way, because big companies are all in on "franchise" titles, loot boxes, and pay to win shite they can flog on the consoles.

In the meantime, this looks like it could be fun -