Old Firm Colts in L2

I wonder if Clyde appointing Jim Chapman who is involved in Project Brave will change their previously strong stance against the introduction of Colts teams into the league or cup competitions.

As a fan owned club I would hope that the appointment of a manager doesn't change the clubs stance which has so far mirrored that of the vast majority of supporters.

Remember a director of another club who posts on here has admitted he'd vote for this simply for a bit of extra cash.

I don't remember/must have missed this, who was it??

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, if the idea is given the go-ahead then I'm done with Scottish Football.

U

56 minutes ago, Fat Sally said:

I wonder if Clyde appointing Jim Chapman who is involved in Project Brave will change their previously strong stance against the introduction of Colts teams into the league or cup competitions.

As a fan owned club I would hope that the appointment of a manager doesn't change the clubs stance which has so far mirrored that of the vast majority of supporters.

It's been renamed project Farce.

It's one thing to have them in the Diddy cup where teams might come up against them once or twice in a season. It entirely takes the piss if it's every other week.

If the old firm leave for England or Atlantic league or whatever they shouldn't be allowed an insurance policy. If they leave and want to come back they can start again in the lower leagues which is fair I think

I agree that if the majority of fans don't want this, it shouldn't happen.

It's well documented that the transition rate of under 20's into first teams is lamentably low. That step from peer group competition to mixing with seasoned pro's may be too wide. We're struggling to produce Scottish talent. If u-20's play and develop in a more stretching and 'real' environment, might that help?

I'm a football fan, I love watching good football. Watching emerging talent from Hearts or Hibs against my team would be something I'd pay to see. In fact I will in a few weeks, as we play Hibs pre-season.

There are 17 teams in the Dev League, the decision about which ones will be ear-marked (or want to) embed in the pyramid will be key.

If it's just the old firm; then no. If it's a sensible group of clubs that are doing it for the right reason (to help players develop) then why not?

I'd presume that if one of the colts teams happened to finish bottom of league 2, then they'd go into the relegation play off and have to take their place in whatever non league structure they are geographically eligible for?

If this ever happened o could see said club not bother with it and withdraw- thus making a fool of the 'pyramid'.

I agree that if the majority of fans don't want this, it shouldn't happen. 

It's well documented that the transition rate of under 20's into first teams is lamentably low. That step from peer group competition to mixing with seasoned pro's may be too wide. We're struggling to produce Scottish talent. If u-20's play and develop in a more stretching and 'real' environment, might that help?

I'm a football fan, I love watching good football. Watching emerging talent from Hearts or Hibs against my team would be something I'd pay to see. In fact I will in a few weeks, as we play Hibs pre-season.

There are 17 teams in the Dev League, the decision about which ones will be ear-marked (or want to) embed in the pyramid will be key.

If it's just the old firm; then no. If it's a sensible group of clubs that are doing it for the right reason (to help players develop) then why not?

I don't think there is any doubt that the vast majority of fans do not want this. I would suspect anyone who wants it of truly being a fan of a premier league team.

Why would you want perhaps 8 matches on your season ticket book to be against trainees? That's almost half your home games for only 4 U20s teams being admitted.

If you enjoy watching Hibs and Hearts U20s, go and watch them in the development league.

Lower league football are competitive leagues that exist for the entertainment of their fans, not for the training purposes or Premiership​ youngsters.

If development of Scottish players is so important to the SPFL and SFA, why not limit the number of foreign players and over 20s in the premier league? We all know the answer to that.

They could just loan more players out to the lower leagues as now but in greater numbers.

If Hibs/Hearts/Celtic/Rangers colts dislodge teams from the leagues, there will be 4 current teams eventually relegated to the Lowland/Highland league.

This would completely devalue lower leagues bet fans would still be expected to pay league 2 prices rather than under 18's where they do this in thesSpain it's a division with 20 clubs play each other twice not 10 teams having to play each other 4 times

Just what the small clubs need - no gate money but still have to pay the players etc.

If you charge fans to go watch colts they won't come. But if you don't charge the club lose money anyway. There is no answer to accommodate colts which leaves the only answer available.

NO COLTS IN THE LEAGUE

I post it every year, but this simply cannot happen. It would kill lower league football in this country.

Doncaster, Youth teams and anyone who supports either should be fast tracked into the sea.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Will be interesting to see how many of the full-time clubs will apply to do this. How "prohibitively expensive" can it really be for clubs like Hamilton Accies, Killie and Falkirk to have U-21 development teams playing at home on fieldturf when the first teams are playing away from home? Suspect there will be a few more than just Rangers and Celtic doing this. Also skeptical that a U-21 team could compete over a full season in the lower SPFL divisions. Suspect this is more about revamping the fifth tier below that. It would need to be U-23 before progress up the divisions would be more of a certainty.

I don't think there is any doubt that the vast majority of fans do not want this. I would suspect anyone who wants it of truly being a fan of a premier league team.

Why would you want perhaps 8 matches on your season ticket book to be against trainees? That's almost half your home games for only 4 U20s teams being admitted.

Might some of these trainees be talented boys that play good football and be enjoyable to watch?

If you enjoy watching Hibs and Hearts U20s, go and watch them in the development league.

I do watch my teams u-20's in Dev League East; thanks, I do enjoy it. Some talented boys in both teams. That's why I wouldn't mind watching good players play against my team.

Lower league football are competitive leagues that exist for the entertainment of their fans, not for the training purposes or Premiership​ youngsters.

Why wouldn't it be entertaining watching players with as much, if not more talent than most SPFL2 teams?

If development of Scottish players is so important to the SPFL and SFA, why not limit the number of foreign players and over 20s in the premier league? We all know the answer to that.
They could just loan more players out to the lower leagues as now but in greater numbers.

So do you not see developing young players as important?

If Hibs/Hearts/Celtic/Rangers colts dislodge teams from the leagues, there will be 4 current teams eventually relegated to the Lowland/Highland league.